280 Or300

robm

Hi all I'm new to this forum and trials riding and am going to look at acouple of bikes locally tomorrow...a 2002 txt280 and a 2004 300 Raga replica..Which one would you go for and what should I look out for

Cheers

ps I know they are both too big for a novice !

Edited by RobM

If you are new to trials riding go for the txt 280. (make sure its not a pro just the regular txt). The 300 raga will be way too much bike for you. Both are great bikes but the raga is very powerfull and more of an on off switch. The txt is powerful but a lot smoother for the average to begining rider.

Enjoy the sport. Beware its adicting.

--Biff

If you are new to trials riding go for the txt 280. (make sure its not a pro just the regular txt). The 300 raga will be way too much bike for you. Both are great bikes but the raga is very powerfull and more of an on off switch. The txt is powerful but a lot smoother for the average to begining rider.

Enjoy the sport. Beware its adicting.

--Biff

Thanks for reply biff

I hope so ! Just a bit concerned that the 02 model seems a bit iffy

if your a novice then both will be to much to handle. I have a standard 300 with slow action throttle and its ok but the 280 is more lively which i never could get to grip i just seem to light up and spin. The 200 is nice if you are less than 13 stone followed by 250. The 02 will be trouble as its the first of txt pro`s 04 are about right from then on.

Ok guys tried a scorpa 125 4 stroke today which the guys at the meet said would be plenty for me... also tried the gas gas 280 which didnt seem too wild ! Any thoughts on this little yam engined 4 stroke ? Others at the meet reckon 2 stroke is the only way ?? I feel I could keep going round in circles deciding !! Have to say i would rather get one from a club rider than chance my luck on fleabay

Thanks

Rob

Edited by RobM

If you're undecided then try as many as you can before committing yourself and parting with your hard earned cash. I've got 2 280 gassers, an 02 which never let me down and an 06 which I tamed down a bit with a flywheel weight and slow action throttle. I would class myself in the novice category even though I've been riding for years (naturally crap) and the 280 suits me fine.

I've had a ride on Betas, Scorpas, Montys and Shercos - 125's, 200's, 250's etc and I love em all ! Price is the main reason I landed the Gasgas but I also like 'the feel' ? A personal thing not a sexual thing :D

My son can beat me hands down on his 125 Sherco so I dont think engine size matters really (until you hit a big climb, then you miss the power) so why not try the 4T Scorpa ?

Whatever you go for in the end just enjoy it ;)

Happy trialing

Ok guys some expert advice needed here ! Tried the 280 last night it all seems good, but acouple of things concern me (apart from it being an 02 !) Its a bit of a job finding neutral when its cold (the guy reckons its better when she's warmed up cos of the clutch drag) and the adjusters on some of the spokes are a bit rusty. Might be being a bit fussy there but he's put a tube in the rear and I wondered if the rust could be the reason I assume it should be tubeless. What do you think would be a fair price... bearing in mind I cant seem to find owt much for sale down here and I am on a bit of a budget and I have absolutely no patience! The little 4 stroke scorpa road legal one is as sweet as a nut but I have to say lookwise it doesnt do much for me (shallow!) Ok waffle over now.. all input greatly appreciated

Rob

ps the guy selling the gasgas swears she has been 100% reliable and talking to some other club members I tend to believe him!

Edited by RobM

Ok guys some expert advice needed here ! Tried the 280 last night it all seems good, but acouple of things concern me (apart from it being an 02 !) Its a bit of a job finding neutral when its cold (the guy reckons its better when she's warmed up cos of the clutch drag) and the adjusters on some of the spokes are a bit rusty. Might be being a bit fussy there but he's put a tube in the rear and I wondered if the rust could be the reason I assume it should be tubeless. What do you think would be a fair price... bearing in mind I cant seem to find owt much for sale down here and I am on a bit of a budget and I have absolutely no patience! The little 4 stroke scorpa road legal one is as sweet as a nut but I have to say lookwise it doesnt do much for me (shallow!) Ok waffle over now.. all input greatly appreciated

Rob

ps the guy selling the gasgas swears she has been 100% reliable and talking to some other club members I tend to believe him!

RAGA model for sure.........

It is an 02 model spoke nipples do tend to go abit rusty coloured , but id be jouvious why hes put a tube in the back maybe tyre leaks? As you can run them lower without a tube in.

I would of thought you should be able to find neutral just as easy when its cold than is warm... but someone else might know more on the subject of this.

Erm did you check how light the clutch leaver was? if the water pump seal has gone in any part of its life the plates can swell leading to heavy clutch .. should really be able to operate with one finger.

like i said see what anyone else has to say about it...

Sounds like the money is burning an hole in your pocket. If your on a low budget i would stay clear of 02 txt pro`s and get Beta rev3 around that age. If a gearbox or clutch works better when warm then its due to some wear or fault. The only thing better on a two stroke when warm is that they run cleaner any thing other is a future problem to come. If you rush in and buy like i have done in the past you will regret it only to see other bargins on the market. The scorpa will be hard work if you wish to try large climbs as you will have to really work the bike to get the best out of a little motor which you dont need when starting as a novice.

I would in my opinion get a Beta rev3 as an 01 onwards will be cheap and built better than a txt with an engine and gearbox thats tried and tested.