Chain Explanation Please....

betarev3

Hi,

My son and I are both new to trials and my bike (Beta Rev3 250) has a regular chain, while his Scorpa SY250 has an o-ring chain fitted. What is the purpose of this type, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Idon't think either needs repacing just yet, but I want to know for future reference. I did a search, but all I could find was that most people recommend Renthal chains and sprockets. Is it wise to change the sprockets and chain together or just replace the chain and leave the sprockets until there is visible wear?

Cheers,

Laurie.

as the term suggests an o-ring chain has small rubber o-rings between the plates and the rollers, these are supposed to keep lubricant in and dirt out.

an o ring chain well looked after will last longer than an ordinary chain. i think i am right in saying that an o-ring chain will "sap" some power to the rear wheel, and does not free wheel as well due to the extra friction.

on a trials bike it really isnt worth the extra money on an o-ring chain, just look after the normal chain with regular maintance after every ride.

paul.

it is generally recommended that chains and sprockets are replaced together. The reason is that the sprockets wear and the chain stretches, just changing one or the other will accelerate the wear of the new item.

That said, drenching the chain in mud every weekend is less than ideal too.

I buy cheap non o ring chain from the local engineers suppliers and change it every ten trials or so. Check for wear on the chain by trying to lift a link off the back of the rear sprocket, if it moves more than a few millimeter the chain is on its way out. check sprockets by looking for hooked/worn teeth. You want to change them before the chain start to jump teeth.

I run an O-Ring chain. It definately takes a little power away but thats part of the reason I use it. It smooths out the hit on my 06 Sherco 2.9. I must say though its been on the bike for 2 seasons and it will stay on for the start of next year. No wear on the chain or the sprockets. I do clean them though quite often.

Last year i changed my chain and front sprocket.The rear sprocket showed minimum wear.I `ve run all this year and the chain is just about shot.I used a Regina chain,which has stretched considerably,but like the first post says,renthal are suposed to be the best,so that said,if i would have put one on instead of the regina,maybe i wouldnt need to replace it yet.

Renthal for me next time.

Thanks for the info everyone - much appreciated. I am removing the chain regularly and washing in petrol then soaking in old gearbox oil then draining and wiping. This was suggested by a guy I met out on practice, and seems to work very well. The chain doesn't pick up too much crap this way. I tried silkolene chain lube, but up at Charltons (Guisbrough) where I ride, the soil is very gritty, and the chain picks up loads of crap with a sticky lube.

Anyway, thanks again :D Laurie.

Raced many different types of road racing bikes in the past. On one occasion we swapped an O ring chain for a racing non O ring chain on a CBR600 whilst we were tuning it with a dyno.

At sub 7,000 rpm there was no significant difference, however as the revs rose the difference began to show. By 13,000 rpm it was a fraction under 3bhp gain.

To put this into perspective, the cost of tuning a Supersport 600 was around

Dad and I have always used Renthal chains on my bikes and we've never had a problem! They do get thoroughly cleaned after each trial though. Taken off before washing the bike. Dad takes it into work and borrows the ultrasonic cleaner, so that gets it totally clean and free of muck. Friday or Saturday night before a trial it gets boiled up on the stove in the bucket of goo (link life of something like that I think) Sprockets get cleaned and de-greased and chain goes on last thing before getting the bike out. Doing this we ran the same chain and sprockets for about 3 years with hardly any stretch, very little sprocket wear and absolubtly no problems at all! Would be running same chain on the Scorpa except its got sprockets for the smaller linked chains so we've got one of those and doing the same treatment. Its a lot of work but we've never had a problem (touch wood!)

Be carefull how you clean an O ring chain, they do not like being washed in petrol, it knackers the rubber O rings, and they do not enjoy being boiled in oil either. A good scrub with soapy water and a tooth brush, rinse, dry thoroughly then spray with a quality chain lube, your chain will love you for a bit of TLC

I use o-ring chains, clean them, (not pressure washer) but run them dry. A touch of WD40 to prevent rust, but I usually don't lube it.

O-ring chain is wider. If you change over, check clearance around the crankcase sprocket and at chain tensioner. We changed the Beta, and even though I widened the plastic block it wasn't enough. The chain is not only wider, but side plate now presents quite a step instead of being flat against the next link, Snagged the plastic block and bent the tensioner several times. I had to build an entirely new block wider with more ramped edges fboth forward and reverse edges.

kcj