Gas Gas 250 Or Scorpa 250?

hunter

Hello, can anyone help! :)

I'm looking to get my first trials bike and I had been very keen on the Gas Gas 250. Clearly they are a popular bike, though there doesn't appear to be a very wide choice when it comes to trials bike manufacturers!

My concern with the Gas Gas is that I've heard that they can be more prone to problems than other manufacturers. I've heard that both frame and forks are 'weaknesses'. Please can anyone give me some experienced information to assist me with my final choice when it comes to splashing out the 'readies'. I'm looking to be spending around

If its a second hand bike then just view both Gas Gas and Scorpa's and go for the best example you see. Either will be a great first bike, had numerous Gas Gas's without any frame or fork issues and have never heard of any problems!! My dad's had a 07 Beta and an 07 Scorpa already this year but has just swapped back to a 250 Gas Gas as he finds it easier to ride. Any of the manufacturers will provide a good first bike so i'd just get the most well looked after example you can find.

Good luck

Many thanks billycraig. I do like the Gas Gas just didn't want to go and give myself unnecessary problems with dodgy frames etc. Why the frame would be any more fragile than any other trials bike I don't know, maybe a case of Chinese Whispers, thanks again :)

HUNTER ;)

Edited by HUNTER

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

I was in a similar position recently and chose to buy a Beta 250. Although I don't have sufficinet experience of other bikes to make a meaningfull comparison, the Beta is perfect for my needs.

Mechanically it has been faultless - starts and runs like a sewing machine, and the power is awsome, but manageble for a novice. Build quality seems to be excellent. The suspension and lightness of the bike makes it manouverable and confidence giving. Parts and servicing is nationally available, so Beta go and buy one! ........ sorry.

I was in a similar position recently and chose to buy a Beta 250. Although I don't have sufficinet experience of other bikes to make a meaningfull comparison, the Beta is perfect for my needs.

Mechanically it has been faultless - starts and runs like a sewing machine, and the power is awsome, but manageble for a novice. Build quality seems to be excellent. The suspension and lightness of the bike makes it manouverable and confidence giving. Parts and servicing is nationally available, so Beta go and buy one! ........ sorry.

Thanks stixnstonesbrokemybones,

I suppose thats another to go in the melting pot then though I still feel a leaning to either the Gas Gas or the Scorpa as they were the favourites to start with.

Once again advice gratefully received.

HUNTER ;)

ride as many as you can :beer: before you buy, my bet is you end up with either a scorpa or a beta !

Hi paul w,

Thankyou, received your pm, appreciated. ;)

What a great website this has turned out to be, glad I found it now. :lol:

HUNTER :)

I've owned both Scorpa and Gas Gas, enjoyed them both and neither gave me any major problems. Try before you buy is always the best advice, you'll decide yourself which one suits you better.

GJ :beer:

Excellent gjbiker, did you find one much easier to live with than the other? What sort of mechanical know how do you have i.e. for someone with none (me :) ) is one going to be any easier to learn on than the other?

Cheers,

HUNTER ;)

Excellent gjbiker, did you find one much easier to live with than the other? What sort of mechanical know how do you have i.e. for someone with none (me ) is one going to be any easier to learn on than the other?

Personally, I could strip either bike down to the last nut and bolt and rebuild them but thats by the by if your own mechy skills are lacking ! As for the easiest one to learn on, are we speaking mechanical learning here or rider learning ?

You can practice your mechanics on anything (I started helping my Grandad with old brit bikes 35 years ago), so no matter what bike you get you'll be able to get the spanners twirling. All bikes are difficult to work on if you have little or no experience ! Be careful and remember, the only silly question is the one that isn't asked!

Same applies to riding, you can practice on a pushbike ! I would say either (or any bike) is good to learn on, stick with the 250's though or even the Gasser 200. Any more cc's and you're asking for trouble. Once you've had a go on different bikes you'll know yourself which one suits you best?

Sorry if I can't be of any more help, my best advice is just get something, anything and get out there and have fun :)

GJ ;)

Edited by gjbiker

• 9 months later...

I hope that you are having as much fun as i am after choosing the Gas Gas 250 05 ! Thats exactly what i did, and have had nothing but sore hands, sore back, grief from the misses........................... etc ! :rotfl: Though, i would not trade the fun it has brought me for anything ( Maybe a 09 250 pro might do it )

I have to eat my word as i said my Gas Gas was built like an Indian pram. Well one year on and its the best and most reliable bike ive ever had. It still rides like new which Beta never did as i always had to f*#k with the carb and brakes. Yes i think its not like Mont quality but for the price im happy just wished the nipples on the spokes were better quailty. Never heard a 6 month old Scorpa sound nice or a year old Sherco.

Drop a Scorpa on the Tank and kiss it good bye and the engine cases. I have seen a Scorpa engine split in halve on a young girls bike.

At the end of the day its what you will like that matters and thats it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your advice. I did buy the 05 250 GASGAS but sadly since getting it have been unable to ride it! I'm unable to kickstart the damn thing due to problems with my hips!!

Great hey. I've boughtg it and its sat in the garage from the day it was delivered till this day. Should anyone be wanting to get one I've got a lovely looking machine now available for sale. I'm five mins off junction 22 of the M1 (Markfield, Leics). If interested please give me a call on 07712 132201.

Regards

HUNTER ;)

Is there nowhere local that you could along to where other guys are practicing ? I'm sure if you told them your hips are Donald Ducked some guy would kick it for you ! If not, sorry to hear that you have to sell it so soon, i hope that you can sort it out !