Cleaning Chains

hrc2002

• 2 weeks later...

Only tried it once, but found the drill went straight through my hand. Now I have hell of a job holding the split link without dropping it :rolleyes:

Seems like a fair technique.

How do you rate the idea of just using WD40? I wouldn't entertain the idea for something like an enduro machine, but for trials I'm beginning to be convinced. I did think about shoving some oil on for the Manx 2 day, but we have to refuel every 10 minutes anyway (nearly) so wouldn't hurt to shove a bit of WD40 on a couple of times during the day.

Must remember to be less liberal with the WD40 - hardly had any brakes for the first 15 minutes today.

Drilled right through your hand? Good work blood is great at disolving chain crud. Maybe you could keep the hole open with a stud. I can't agree that the WD40 is a good lubricant. It attracts dust and dirt and doesn't have enough viscosity to lubricate well. Nor does it stick to the chain ie. your problems with the brakes.

I hear what you're saying. Thinking about it logically I would agree.....but....

My bike's coming up for a year old now, I've used nothing but WD40. Chain is never dirty because I think WD40 attracts less dirt than oil, and although it washes off easily (wich could be a negative point) it does allow it to be cleaned as new every time out and WD40 applied again.

Here's the argument:

I'm the wrong side of 17 stone riding the expert route, so my chain should be getting about as hard a time as you can get. I reckon I'm about two Graham Jarvis's :lol:

I ride at least once a weekend, plus marking out trials and the odd bit of practicing, yet my chain adjustment has just moved to position 4 this week and the sprockets are looking spot on.

Either Sherco are using some damned good chains or the WD40 isn't doing it much harm.

I'm not sure how this compares, but I would normally be expecting to change chain and sprockets about now.

I reckon chain oiling is part of a conspiracy by the chain manufacturers - Here's your new chain and sprockets and here's something to help along the abrasion process :D See you soon! :rolleyes:

What we need is twin brothers (or sisters - sorry) riding trials to test the theory. :D

Edited by Bikespace

WD40 attracts less dirt than normal lube because it is less viscous. It also has the added benefit of displacing any moisture in the links as opposed to oil which forms a film over it.

With O-ring chains, very viscous chain lubes won't penetrate to the high wear areas anyway, ie, under the O-ring, so it just sits on the surface attracting dust / silt / grit etc......

I know there is a great deal of controversy over using WD40. One of my riding buddies calls is one of the "best cutting fluids" around.

One of my obsessions is keeping a clean bike, and I am always looking for ways to cut down on the effort involved in maintaining it. I always hated having to clean up the chain lube that slings all over the rim, tire, sprocket, etc. After trying a wide variety of chain lubes, and chain wax, I could never find one I was happy with.

About 3 years ago, I made the switch to using WD40 instead. After cleaning my bike, I will spray the chain down well. Later, after letting it soak awhile, I take a shop towel and wipe off the excess from the outside of the chain. (Basically just grip the towel around the chain and rotate the back wheel.) The result is that the internals of the chain are now lubed with no sticky residue on the outside to collect dust & dirt.

I would have to concure with the thoughts above and say that my chain wear is no worse than when using chain lube. WD40 is cheap enough, easy to use, and if you wipe off the excess, as I described, it will not sling all over the bike like chain lube does. I am definitely sold on it for a trials bike.

i just use ipone racing chain lube it does not fling of like other lubes i have tried then i get a rag wipe all the the excess off then after i have ridden i use castrol chaincleaner to get it off and then repeat i have had the same chain set for a year now a whole season and i have only adjusted it twice.

i find when using wd40 my chain will start squeeking half way through a trial and it p****s me off