Cleaning Chains

hrc2002

I agree with the WD40 idea.

Wear on the chain isn't any greater than with ordinary chain lude, possibly because you don't get the same amount of abrasive material sticking to it.

I use it on chains on a VFR750, a Maico 490 Alpha2, Aprilia Climber 280R and a Cota 349, all with good results.

I think the best chain lube is what is already on a chain when you buy a new chain

Danny

Actually that is nothing but a packing material to protect from corrosion and offers very little lubrication and attracts dirt like a magnet. The first thing you should always do with a new chain is wash all that sludge off and lube it with a proper lube.

Would home depot or Lowes stock it ?

Wal-Mart sells Simple Green. It washes a bike down real nice at a 50/50 mix with water. Full strength will cut through most mud and grime. I have never used it on a chain though.

Based upon the advise ov one of the top national riders here in the US and due to the fact that I am lazy, I have used nothing but WD-40 to lube the stinking thing for the last couple of years.

I've been using silicone spray.

I think it leaves a little more lube on that WD40 (which seems to have more solvent), yet it still doesn't attract dirt.

To my eyes, all that sticky stuff just turns to lapping compound when dirt gets on it.

Tried loads, including chain wax (that was the worst).

Since buying the new Sherco (last November) I've used nothing but WD-40. Always looks spotless (the chain that is - before anyone comments), and even with my considerable weight chain wear is minimal (still only on position 4-5 and its out at least one trial a week). No noticeable sprocket wear at the moment.

I'm not sure what is worse, the chain being a bit dry on times, or being clogged up with natural abrasive stuck to the oil. I'm going for the first option at the moment while trying to minimise it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Kerosene and an old toothbrush in a square cake pan for a long time and it works great. Just pour a little Kerosene in the pan and use the brush to clean each link. Then I hang it up from a hook on the ceiling of my garage, dry it off and lube with WD-40. Chains last forever with this treatment on a regular basis.

someone at my last trial was saying that he put 2/3 grease and 1/3 oil? in a metal can and put his chain in it and heated it with a space heater. He reckoned it ran a lot more freely. I think i'll try it with my next chain before i put it on.

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel,

Here is a photo of my chain cleaning apparatus. I normally suspend the end of the shaft on something of appropriate height.

PS

Don't waste your time trying Simple Green on a chain. That is what the chain is running through in the pan. It didn't clean anything off but a little sand and dirt. It left the nasty black bits attached. I rinsed the chain off and then cleaned it by running it through petrol in the pan.

post-2-1089561987.jpg

Edited by dfwilson