Bigger Bore Front Pipes

jsp

Am I the only one then, who fitted a Mitani front pipe and couldn't tell a scrap of difference in performance? - it was exactly the same as the original pipe.

Fact is I never expected any difference from 2mm increase in diameter, it wasn't bought for performance so I wasn't dissapointed. I bought it purely because I hated the tuppeny ha'penny look of the original front pipe on a

Just a little comment: You can get performance benefits from the Mitani pipes IF you remap the PTB. I had both the Mitani pipe and silencer on and thought that it was really good, until I rode a bike that was exactly the same as mine but with the standard exhaust on... The standard bike was sharper on the bottom end, not stronger but it reacted quicker than mine. I messed around with the mapping and got mine better but not really good as it could be.

So I bought the 280kit from Mitani to get more torque from the bottom end, and the bike became worse, really bad. It didn't pick up revs as I wanted, it felt slow and weak :banana2: So I sent a email to Mitani wondering if they had a map that cure my problem. And they sent me a map that didn't look like the other ones I have. It really transformed the bike, now its really sharp of the bottom end and its torquey. Now I can use 2nd gear even in the tight stuff without working the clutch to much. :banana2:

I have some ideas about what has changed see if you can use it on the standard bike, I will try to check if I am right tomorrow on my dad bike with everthing standard and a Mitani silencer on. Will let you know what I find out.

Edited by Ludde

So here is my findings. It looks like when you use a bigger bore exhaust it is better to retard the ignition at low revs. This seems to make the bike breath better and this makes it sharper. Most have something to do with the later ignition giving a higher pressure in the cylinder when the exhaust valves open, thus pushing out the exhausts. I knew that this tuning effect could make a difference, but didn't think it would be this much.

Anyway, the old man like the new map, which is almost the same one I got from Mitani. At low rev it is a bit more calm than before but dad wants it like that. I think the ignition is a little bit too retarded for the standard bike but it works on the 280kit, but then the 280 has higher compression ratio.

A little tip for those who have problem starting their bikes: try advancing the ignition at idle and below by 2 or 3 degrees, seems to make it easier to start