End Of An Era?

gizza5

Gizza5 There's still time you know. 1st class post will sort it. You know it makes sense :banana2:

I've only just sent mine in.

Has Sandy and your brother entered?

It'll be Ok as I'm sure Sandy will have sent one in for Gizza. I've had to do the same for Ishy & Kinnel, the soft buggers.

Edited by PERCE

And some for Big John :banana2:

Stig Karlsons Matchless........and we thought it was hard on our ''Modern Twin Shocks''

post-516-1196796531.jpg

And I know John likes his Bulto's and Honda's..........but look at this Honda, went a bit wild with the ''Welder''

post-516-1196796578.jpg

Edited by GIZZA5

For those of you who know me and for those of you who don't I have competed in the SSDT.........24 times???

Did I put my entry in for 2008........................No :o however I did fill it out twice it was touch and go whether I should ride again

Over the last few years I have been thinking, maybe I should call it a day, yes I am getting older and find each year tougher (not as tough as the 90's), but there were several other reasons for me not entering.

Now I know some of you like reading stories so I will tell you a bit about my 24 years!!

Back in 1983 I had just finised my basic training for Her Majestys Armed Forces, being quite a competent skier I got posted to one of the Regiments in Germany to represent them in ski-ing competitions mainly in Southern Germany. I arrived in the Febuary all the skiers were away and the end of the ski season was nearly there so the decision was made to leave me in camp and go away with them the following winter.

On my first few weeks in camp I stumbled across the bike bay mainly full of Moto-x and Enduro bikes, but there was a Fantic 200 and a couple of Ossa's. The guy that owned the Fantic (Bill Buckley-11 times Army Motorcycle Champion) having introduced myself took me under his wing and as it happened the Ossa's happened to be the Regiments bikes so I comandeered one of these to ride on until I got my Bultaco from the Uk.

Bill competed in his first SSDT in 1982 and had been selected again to ride in 1983, it was now begining of April and checking the mail one morning (this was the highlight of the day as at 17 being so far away from home was quite daunting at times). No mail from family, but entry form for the SSDT????? raced to see Bill to ask him what it was all about, after a few enquiries it seemed that someone could not ride and I had been selected :closedeyes:

Now the first few minutes went from great I have been selected to ride for the Army to S**t I am riding one of the hardest events in the world, with a few weeks to get ready. Now just out of basic training I was fit, so that would not be a problem so I thought.................................

2 weeks training up at Catterick on Gandale, we were sponsered by Roy Carey and Fantic and we were given 4 brand spanking new 200's, boy was this little bike so much better than the Bultaco. Now bike preperation in those days consisted of 1-2 days getting the bike ready then 3 days to make your riding numbers :o

Yes we had to make plates for the front and both sides at the rear, painted black background with yellow numbers (Rolf Harris would have been proud of us), front was no real problem but the sides were a work of art, forming round the exhaust and making strong enough brackets to support them so they didn't come winging off on the first trip on the rough.

Now we arrived at our Guest house at the back of Fort Bill and did all the necessary until Monday morning arrived!! now being the new boy I thought I would yeald the experience of Bill and make sure I was prepared ready for the off, after our compulsary 2 nervous Sh***s (sorry too much information) he had worked out our start times and we set off walking down to the West end Car Park.

Well I looked a right Fashion Statement in my new riding gear and new boots (never done that again, with the new boots) after spending more than I earned in the Park Ferme on the Sunday, we set off walking. Bill decided to do a bit of shopping for postcards, maybe it was his way of getting rid of the nerves, me I was in tow only thinking I just hope my bike starts! after visiting several card shops we arrived at the West End Roundabout to see number 224 going round it...................Bill was 214 oops! Poscards up in the air and Bill started running, helmet on, Bum Bag on, this is the guy that I was meant to be learning from? Look would have it His bike started and he was off about 15 Minutes late. Now if I wasn't nervous already that little stunt had tipped me over, I didn't think my Bladder! could hold so much fluid!!!!!

My bike started first prod and I had Chris Sutton right in front of me so I was to shadow him all week, so off we set down to Kinlockleven to take in Garbb Bheinn, Cameron Hill up Glencoe to Chairlift and Ba House.

Your first year is so very special, it was also Mark Whitham's first year (Current Clerk of the Course) and yes I did finnish, but I thought I was fit well the SSDT finds Muscles that you don't know you have and it took me a week to recover.

I represented the Army for a further 3 years 84(Fantic 200), then in 1985 the Army had signed a deal with Alan Clews of CCM who had renamed to Armstrong, he had designed a military motorcycle for the Army, so we had to ride the Armstrong trials bikes, so in 1985 we rode the 350c.c twin shocked Armstrong with the Jumbo Rotax motor out of the SWM in it. This bike disintegrated on me throughout the week, but still managed to finnish, in 1986 we had the first Mono-shock 280cc rotax Armstong (John Lampkin had just signed for them and also rode one) not a bad bike, but by this time there were far better bikes on the market.

By this time I was back in the UK training the SAS (Special Air Service) to ride motorcycles, I could go into great detail, but I would have to Kill You :D:D it was time to leave the Army............but not the SSDT and I have ridden every year since :)

I could write loads about the SSDT and my experiences up there, for me it is the best trial by a long, long way in the world. It has gone through some tough times and has got to where it is now, through the hard work of a lot of people, but one does need mentioning it's that ''Miserable Bugger up there in the Clouds'' he took the bold step to revert the trial back to no-stop and gear it more towards the clubman rider and the result being 400+ entries land on the desk now!!!

I am sure if he looking down he would be proud of the way the trial is continueing now, Mark will I know with his band of willing helpers continue in this way and if anything tweak it to make it better, as for the 400+ entries well although Maira has problems every year trying to please everyone, she seems to sort it out ;) better than in the 90's when Jim McColm was phoning round to try and get people to ride to make the trial viable(167 riders one year???)

So where for me now as the sub-title says ''for now anyway'', in 2011 it is the Centenary Trial and if I am fit and able I will be giving it one more go to make it my 25th, in the meantime....................

For you first timers, its tougher than you think, but you will enjoy it and you will want to come back...........

For the regulars that I have ridden with over the last 24 years, keep going.................

The observers, who stand out there for 10 hours, top men and women ( and thanks for all those dodgy 3's)........

Last but not least everyone who has anything to organise this event, and long may it continue......................

I am coming to the SSDT, on my BMW as I have always fancied taking a big road bike on some of them roads :)

For those that have put an entry in, it is a waiting game and you will know soon, then you have 4-5months to get ready, or you could just leave it until 2 weeks before :beer:

Good luck to each and every one of you, I have spoken to Mark and told him that I won't feel too good on the Monday when everyone is setting off, he said what I am feeling now will be 10 times worse on the Monday when I am there :(

The SSDT has been a massive part of my life, and I have had the privalage of riding and meeting some of the best guys in our sport

See you in May.................................and lets see what happens in 2011 :thumbup:

great post gizza5

Vinnie

And some for Big John :closedeyes:

Stig Karlsons Matchless........and we thought it was hard on our ''Modern Twin Shocks''

post-516-1196796531.jpg

And I know John likes his Bulto's and Honda's..........but look at this Honda, went a bit wild with the ''Welder''

post-516-1196796578.jpg

Stig Karlson is a great rider and a good inventor. Well I remember him riding his Matchless special against the bikes of the day...

& that Honda has me weak at the knees Mark!

Big John