20% Is The New 15%

copemech

no tipping here

they get paid a wage, why should we have to tip?

Untrue, unless Wales is totally different to the rest of the UK. Tipping is generally given for good service.

And as for the second statement, perhaps things have changed, but my first job after leaving school was in a hotel. I was taxed based on the assumption that I would make so much in tips.

Untrue, unless Wales is totally different to the rest of the UK. Tipping is generally given for good service.

And as for the second statement, perhaps things have changed, but my first job after leaving school was in a hotel. I was taxed based on the assumption that I would make so much in tips.

i meant i personaly dont tip.

My point of view (which may be wrong) is that most of these jobs are poorly paid as a basic wage as tips are generally expected to be added on to that wage. I don't think it's a bad way of working as it is a decent method of paying for performance.

If someone has done their job well then I'll tip, it might be slightly more if it's exceptional service. The only time I won't tip is if the service is bad.

First time ever I left a tip after having what was generally bad service just last week. It was only Pizza Hut with the kids, but our one waitress seemed to be running around doing everything while the rest of the crew did bugger all. I left a tip and told the Manager why I had on the way out - "I left a tip because our waitress seems to be the only one doing anything in here, including you. I think you need to get your a*** in gear".

I think he was stunned - not surprisingly I had to get my own balloons :banana2:

Maybe I'm a soft touch, but if all the staff had been the same as our one waitress, the place would have run like clockwork.

I only do 10% unless it's exceptional though.

I personally am tired of individuals in the service industry believing that they are automatically entitled to a tip. I am also apalled at the requirement that it is a percentage of the bill. I will tip if the service warrents it. I tip what I feel is appropriate.

Service industry people are already recieving a wage to do their job. A tip is something extra given by the customer in appreciation for excellent service. But (for example) a waitperson should do their job professionally and to the best of their ability and not expect that they will recieve a percentage of the bill just because they did what they are already paid to do. If the customer appreciates the service they will tip accordingly.

As far as estimating a person will recieve x amount in tips and using that to calculate salary and taxes. That is just a fundamentally flawed system in the industry. Not my fault. If you don't like it get a new job. You made the choice to do that type of work, don't like it make a choice and change careers.

Signed,

Scrooge. (Cheap *******)

Just make sure you don't frequent the same restaurants regularly then. They will remember you and you can expect crap service.

do mcdonalds & the local chippy count?

my job has crap pay, but i dont get tipped