Contact 1995

goreboy

Hi Jay,

Best place for parts in the North East (UK) would be White Brothers in Darlington (A66 from Stockton I think), ask them about your clutch hose too.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi peter

ordered pump seal kit and clutch pipe, but today i started first kick without anywater in the rad. I then filled the rad up and then it wouldn't start, as if the water was going into the pots when i was kicking it over.

So after a lot of kicking it fired up, ran it for about 5 mins, touched the engine and it was hotter than it should be so i turned it off. Checked the water in the rad, all gone. Looks like there was sign of some leaking between the head and the barrels aswell.

So just wondering what parts should I be looking at ordering, just an o ring. Also would you know the torque settings and sequence for the head bolts?

Thanks for your help peterb, Really appreciate it.

jay

Hi Jay,

time for a closer look at the motor before ordering anything else.

Always hard to diagnose faults without seeing the bike in the flesh - from what you say, the coolant could be either leaking straight out from the cylinder head O ring seals or leaking out from from the crankcase cooling passages. (Or even through a hose)

The O rings are easy to replace and are more likely to be the leak path. White's should have these in stock.

On the 1995 250 and 270, the crank cases had coolant passages to keep the crank area cool, didn't really work and was subsequently dropped. There exists a metal (sst) blanking off base gasket that was later offered to seal off the cooling passage area in the crank case from the cylinder. You may find that your bike does not have this fitted and that coolant is still circulating in the crank case area, or at worse, has corroded the casing and is leaking out somewhere.

Ask "Al the spanner" at Whites about the gasket, if he still has some, it's worth fitting. Also for the torque settings.

Sorry, but I don't have the torque settings, always relied on wrist feel! (After stripping a bunch of threads out when I were much younger)

I remember seeing some torque settings mentioned for this on another GG thread somewhere on this site. For sequence, always tighten diagonally across.

Good luck, PeterB.

On the 1995 250 and 270, the crank cases had coolant passages to keep the crank area cool, didn't really work and was subsequently dropped. There exists a metal (sst) blanking off base gasket that was later offered to seal off the cooling passage area in the crank case from the cylinder. You may find that your bike does not have this fitted and that coolant is still circulating in the crank case area, or at worse, has corroded the casing and is leaking out somewhere.

Ask "Al the spanner" at Whites about the gasket, if he still has some, it's worth fitting. Also for the torque settings.

Whites still had some of these last year as I fitted one to mine as the casing had corroded where the union goes into the crankcase down by the front sprocket so I have now blanked it off.