Week 45 - Modern Responsibilities

Andy

04022007174712-0a.jpg

Reliability in the SSDT gets a new emphasis this year for competitors will be required to kick start their machines at the West End Car Park, Fort William first thing every morning. Those who wheel their machines out without kickstarting will be penalised five marks.

The FIM Trials Commission has at last agreed to make 1-2-3-5 marking in trials universal from next year. Prompted by a proposal from the ACU, the Commission agreed to drop the 1-3-5 marking system it has stuck rigidly to for international and world championship events. The move is expected to be welcomed by most riders who feel that three marks given for two dabs is unfair.

Those two stories come from the April 10, 1976 edition of Motor Cycle and together with the rest of the In Balance column written by former trials journalist Dave Willcock, makes for some interesting reading, some 31 and a half years later.

Many of the names mentioned in the column are still very much a part of the sport

My self and a fellow club member attended the seminar, and i have to aggree with you mike, it was well worth the time to attend and spend 5 hours to listen to a well put together and very informative seminar.

Big thanks to John Collins and Tim Fairbrother.

Edited by pitley

Several years ago as a youngster I would pay my ACU funds every year and wonder what they did for me. (weekly papers would forever knock the establishment and possibly rightly so)

However now older and a Natioanl C of C, coach and generally more involved in organising I can appreciate what is involved and why we get good value out of or licence fee.

The ACU (at least from a trials point of view) appears now to be very transparent and easily accesible. Not sure if this is actively promoted via JC and the latest committe or just the ease with which the internet etc makes communicating.

I guess the fact that JC tries to watch the post on this web site and normally replies constructively and logically indicates the first. John does seem able to see both sides of most arguments and never appears to adopt the "just do as we say" approach.

Things such as the C of C licenceing sessions and the British champ forum certainly give a feeling of being able to be involved in what is happening to our sport and I would congratulate JC and his team for appearing very much to care about involving as many peole as possible in deciding how our sport develops especilally in these times of great external pressure for it to be stopped.

I might be wrong but I'm sure the SSDT have awarded 5's for many years for kick start failures. I have been guilty once before! Bring on May! :closedeyes:

You can have a 5 for failing to notice that Mike's headline was from 1976 :)

having recently sat my first national MX CofC seminar (in which IIRC only 4 of 21 or so passed!!!) i was once again made to appreciate how good the two CofC (Trials and Enduro, regional then national) seminars i've done have been!

keep up the good work!

I think we should appreciate not only the CoC's but also the ACU/SACU who seem to have a grasp on their training programme. I really wish other organisations were as well organised. The Ice Hockey coaching programme in Scotland is non existant at the minute and the course many coaches need only runs once every three years or so in England...... Well done ACU