Estimating Your Ability?

neonsurge

My club like many others runs a series of easy trials during the summer with 3 routes: Very easy, easy and hard(er). I guess the "hard" course is about clubman level, so there's nothing too scary. Until this week I've been riding the "easy" course with pretty consistent single-figure final scores but this week I rode the "hard" course and finished on 40 :(

At this level (and for me especially), it's all about having a good time and sinking a few tinnies afterwards, but it's got me thinking: At what point do you decide that you either should be moving up or down a level? For example, the winner of the trial in question finished on 2 - does my 40 mean that I'm out of my depth? At what point does the difference between the winner's and my score suggest that I'm ready to start attempting "proper" trials?

It's all pretty meaningless unless you're serious about your trials of course - if you want to ride a trial... any trial, ride it and have fun is my way of looking at it, but I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts along these lines...?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does 40 points make it a tough trial? what's the point of entering an event if you don't want to drop anymore than a single figure score.

Providing the sections aren't dangerous or scary for any class of rider, you still need to challenge yourself to the best of your ability or you get to a stage of what was a bit of a challenge, you now won't even consider riding.

if you want to ride a trial... any trial, ride it and have fun is my way of looking at it.

This is so true! The day you don't enjoy it is the day to reach for the free ads. Your 40 does not mean you're out of your depth, more like the bloke in question is a ringer and should leave the easy trials to the beginers they were ment for.

There seems to be a lot of people kicking about that have the ability to ride a harder route but I think they like the kudos of being top in their group. Their choice but who are they kidding? Granted, there are some riders that drop down because the harder route is just to damn silly for them but that's fine, its a sensible idea. Just stick with it, next year you might make it to section 5 on the TC trial! :(

Here's the edit part, while typing Ishy has posted more or less the same statement as me. The guy on single figures is a loser!

Edited by boofont

We run each class with the trial setup so that the winning score should be around 30 marks. This usually puts the bottom few riders at around 100 which is OK for a 45 section trial. I would agree with the others that a score of 40 is OK and the single figures scoring rider should move up a class.

I recently moved down a class after a couple of years where I was scoring close to 200 marks per trial and it's no fun starting each section wondering how to get through without hurting yourself.

Ride to enjoy it and have a beer afterwards as long as its still fun who cares what the score is. None of us (well very few) will every ride for financial or other remunitary gain.

I should point out that in order to eliminate "pot collector" element and because these trials are aimed at novices, the regs state that "awards are at the discretion of the organisers". That's the only and best way to run an event of tis type, IMHO.

I think as soon as your good enough to win say 2 trials in the beginner trial then your good enough to be last in the harder classes.

An experienced rider in a beginner class in my books is cheating, dishonest and pathetic...even if the trial is just for fun, its just gives up the chance for the TRUE beginner to win a beginners trial, which is unfair.

Edited by HRC2002

Used to ride expert route (and loved it) but then had a 9 year lay off and now i find the hard route 'too hard' so i ride the clubman route which is spot on.

I guess as you get older you want different things out of trials, I look at the expert route on some trails and think to myself "sod that"! just getting out on my bike is good enough for me now :(

Edited by Marky G

MY SON IS NINE YEARS OLD HE STARTED RIDEING TRIALS TWO YEARS AGO. HE STAYED IN THE BEGGINERS CLASS FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS AND STARTED TO WIN THIS CLASS SO I MOVED HIM UP TO THE NEXT CLASS . THERE ARE THREE REASONS I DONE THIS ONE IS TO MAKE HIM A BETTER RIDER. TWO IS I WOULD PREFER HIM TO BE AT THE BACK OF MORE SKILLFUL RIDERS THAN IN FRONT OF BEGGINERS. THREE IS TO GIVE OTHER CHILDREN IN THE BEGGINERS CLASS A CHANCE TO WIN .

One of the big problems, is that the degree of difficulty for the said class varies from one area to another - the guy who finished on single digits for the trial mentioned, might possibly ride a similar event elsewhere and be way down the results - if he is always winning in his home pond, by all means move him up, but I feel it is important to get the organizers to set the same type of standards for each class, no matter where the event is held. Only the individual rider can decide if - he or she is having fun. too many "5's" on the score card often means the bike appearing in the "For Sale" adverts.

You'll find that even riding the 'harder' line, your scores will start to come down. Riding the harder line will help you learn faster because you're working your line mentally and physically to keep from dropping any points - riding the easier line you don't have to 'work' it as much to get a low score - so even though you're riding for fun you're not really progressing - might as well be pushing a stroller around the mall...

Plus, if you're driving some distance to ride club trials, what's the use of driving a long way and riding an easy line? Bear the yoke of a good challenge and give that section hell! You'll feel better about the whole experience.

Ive moved from the middle route to the hard route (and its bloody hard) one thing I discovered I get alot more satisfaction from cleaning a impossable section once than cleaning a easy section every time.

Danny

Edited by Trials Lad

My view is if you're getting close to winning one class, and the next one up isn't going to kill you, then move up.

I had 17 years off, and decided to do at least three trials at novice, then had another 5 or 6 trials at inter, then decided that although the expert sections were pretty hard you don't have to do the ones that might damage you.

Two years on and although I'm never going to be up there with the youngsters I feel at home in the middle to bottom end of the experts.

I could have made it so much slower without a bit of over-confidence.

Got to have a go before the dreaded over-40's starts calling.

I think it all depends on the club in my opinion.

If you know the club well, you know what route to ride and you know what the sections hold. If you ride at a club you've never been to if difficult to decide the route.

If you ride at a club you've never been to if difficult to decide the route.

Yep, get your point. It's actually Neonsurge's local club (Scarborough) that I keep meaning to get back up to some time as it was my favourite club as a Youth.

I'll have that dilemma when I do manage to get up there:

Exp, Inter, Clubman A, ClubmanB

Don't really know where they all fit in. Do they all ride the same route or not NS??