Estimating Your Ability?

neonsurge

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha - Cheers Marky Boy.

Think what I'll have to do is get there early and have a walk round, see if I'm likely to die on the hard route.

Mind you I may be in the over-50's by the time I actually get round to getting there.

if it is at the start,end or begginning of the year and i get single figures i move up a route. when i have usally move up i get about 40 odd on my first trial on this route if it is a dry trial. but deciding what route to ride in a club im not use to is diffucult although a lot of clubs i think will move you down or up if you ask them to if you think it is hard.

I think as soon as your good enough to win say 2 trials in the beginner trial then your good enough to be last in the harder classes.

An experienced rider in a beginner class in my books is cheating, dishonest and pathetic...even if the trial is just for fun, its just gives up the chance for the TRUE beginner to win a beginners trial, which is unfair.

That's what I thought - having finished the past couple of trials in single figures riding the middle route, I decided that it was time for more of a challenge. No-one's really bothered about the final results, it's just a bit of a laugh on a Wednesday night and gives the less experienced member of the club a taste of competition without the intimidation a potential injuries (read: scarier sections) that might accompany a more serious trial. For me, it's been the perfect re-introduction to competition and like I said previously, the club run them fantasically, with plenty of help and advice available to those who need it.

Bikespace: You ought to get yourself up here at some point, if only for a day's practise. The club's done a lot of work at Low North Camp recently, most significantly the importation of several hundred (thousand?) tons of really big (car-sized) rocks that have been placed around the camp to create new sections and in a couple of places, extend existing "classic" areas.

I've been rideing for quite a long time now (3 years), but still in the easiest class. The main reason is I only ride once, maybe twice a month as I am at boarding school, so not much time. Everytime I get good enough to attempt the class up, term starts and I can't ride again. I have tried the higher things, but the diverscity in the sections is huge. Yesterday there was one section which I could have ridden sitting with my knees steering, with another one that I continually got wrong. There were others that although I eventually cleaned them I was nearly wetting myself at the though of doing it, especially after watching people falling off with disturbing regularity. Riding the easy route gives me more confidence, which means that I ride a bit better etc etc. At a guess I have won three of the small eveing trials and maybe one sunday trial. Untill two months ago I didn't even finish a sunday trial, then I finished 15th. I think I will continue to ride the easy route in the sunday trials untill I can consistently finish in the top ten, but ride the inter route in the eveing trials. If I even tried some of the inter routes, I would break the bike and myself and probably be scared off for years to come!

Enough of my dribble, I mean my situation.

Pete

i have been riding about 40 odd years went up to the top and came back down again. Ride now in clubman or pre65 whatever, i find in the clubman section now, i can help the up and coming pick lines show ways through muck up slipy banks etc.

I do not get points anymore just enjoy the fun. :(

I think as soon as your good enough to win say 2 trials in the beginner trial then your good enough to be last in the harder classes.

What a load of BS!! I can see we have some real experts on this thread :(

I find the Clubman route (in between the hard route and the easy route) is just what I like.......I can come away from a trial feeling like I've enjoyed the day out on me bike...not like I'd been through the mill on the hard route.

Bikespace, I've forgot what was the trial near Newtown (I think) was called a few months ago, but I the hard route was pretty hard, I think it was renamed the A & E trial on the hard route.

I was sat waiting my turn and I watched some young lad almost breaking his leg trying to get up a near impossible climb out of a stream.

Horses for courses I suppose, I've been there and done that..don't want it any more :D "Shizzolate that ****" as Snoop dog says!!

I'll leave the bravardo to HRC2000 & Co

http://www.asksnoop.com/

You always get the odd dodgy section from time to time. Old farts like myself can always ask for a five. Of course stupidly I didn't that day and ended up hanging from the tree a couple of times, but it was worth the one time I got up......and didn't fall off until on the way down :(

I agree though Mark, you should stay on your route :D

Now now...

If you ride 3 beginner trials, and win say 2 of them...in my opinion, you are good enough to ride a higher level (depending on sections of course).

A beginners trial is FOR beginners, not 'advanced' riders looking to show off to themselves.

Whats the point in winning/riding a beginner trial if you know you can do more advanced stuff?

Im not an expert (wish I were though). And it was only an opinion...chill.

Why not ride the easy route on a less competative bike, air cooled mono, twinshock or pre 65. It is amazing how much fun you can have on the easy course with an old bike. Not to mention upsetting the young 'uns.

This is my third year in trials. As an over 40 ex-motocrosser, I found trials to be the perfect balance of maximum challenge while minimizing bodily harm . Being very goal oriented, I have used a formula to move me along which I think more riders should consider. Especially newer ones getting into the sport.

I started on a Montesa 172 twin shock riding the novice line. This forced me to learn and master the basics while making it challenging. I rode the Cota for one season, a great learning experiece. During the season, I would set goals for each event. First, I tried to clean one section per loop, then I tried to cleaning each section at least once per event, next, I tried to clean a loop and so on.

I then bought an 02 Beta 250 and started the next season in the Sr B class. Sr B runs the novice line but presents a much tougher challenge by virtue of higher skilled competition. This forced me to concentrate on consistency. A single 5 could move you from 1st to 7th. I set my goals in baby step increments. First I worked at getting a top 5 finish. Once I made top 5, I set my sights on top 3. After top 3 I worked harder to try and win an event. Towards the end of the season I won a couple of events.

During the off season, I decided that I would move up to Sr A. Using the same plan, I stared with my cleaning goals. Then, I set my sights on a top 5 finish. I just had my first 4th place finish last week.

I think that if more people took a similar approach to trials, they would find each event very rewarding because your always working towards an achievable goal. You have your own little personal victories that you can celebrate at each event. This keeps it fun and helps motivate you. :(

HI,

I wish some people round here would have the same challenging attitude

as you, as there are a few who have been trialing for a while now and still

ride the easy route winning every event and thinking there Dougie!!!.

To some this may seem allright but to the real begginner they are just

stealing there awards.

I think HRC is saying that you can ride harder routes, not the hardest.

HI,

I wish some people round here would have the same challenging attitude

as you, as there are a few who have been trialing for a while now and still

ride the easy route winning every event and thinking there Dougie!!!.

To some this may seem allright but to the real begginner they are just

stealing there awards.

I think it does depends on the club who's putting the trial on, I can see your from my neck of the woods so you'll ride the same trials as me I guess?

Some clubs round here will have Novice, Inter, and Expert + 0/40's...others will have Begginer , clubman, inter, Expert + O/40's and all the C+D routes etc etc.

I'll ride the clubman route all the time, but..if there's no clubman route I'll ride the novice route...there no way I'm going to pop for the hard route, I tried the inters when i came back into trials in January and I found myself dropping 100+ marks..not much fun fiving everything that me and the old TY tried to do.

What route do you ride D/Boy?