Time To Give Up

superflytx270

Ok seeing as its getting increasing difficult to ride anywhere near me now with the law all over us I have decided to go for my bike test and get something like a gas gas pampera or something for trail riding, plus the fact that i'm crap at trials riding anyway. :D

I was wondering if anyone had any idea on what sort of money my '98 gas gas tx270 would bring in good overall condition? and what sort of money decent pamperas are going for.

I do love my bike but its a shame to see it sitting in the shed for around three weeks at a time without being ridden. :(

regards

superfly

Superfly: Although I can't offer any solid advice regarding the value of the Gassers you mentioned, I feel compelled to say I understand your predicament and I am sorry for your plight. It can be very hard to deal with all the pressures you talked about. Trail use issues here in Oregon have become increasingly difficult to sort out with all the "casual users" tearing up the hillsides and p***ing off the landowners etc. I have been getting very dicouraged with some of the hurdles our trials club's working trials marshalls are facing these days. I have been fearing the dire effects of all these "greenlaners" "cowboy riding" which are causing grief to the trials club. All I can say is things are bound to work out if you keep trying and don't give up hope. Just when it becomes dark and seems like it's just not worth the trouble, things can turn for the better in ways we don't expect. Good luck with your future bike riding plans, hang in there and enjoy that new Pampera if you get it let us know about it. Trials or trail riding, we are all in this together. Jay L

SuperFly - There are no Sunny Valley's in Wales - Thats why I left in 1965 - (Just Kidding) - However I do see lots of events still being run, so maybe you should check out other clubs and be prepared to travel a bit ie: the Llanfyllin club seem very active and they do have a top rider in young Tom Sagar ( I used to ride with his Grandad) - WE have a huge Country in Canada just like Jay in the USA, but the facts are that the people who shout the loudest get heard by the Politicians. - WE have lost prime areas because of Mountain bikes taking over - They do more damage but because they have the numbers they win. - Until the Motorcycle Industry hire lawers etc to lobby Government we will continue to see land use shut down to Off Road vehicles.- This will include your Pampera !! - The solution is not to quit, but to get vocal and join a lobby group - or you could emigrate like I did ( only to run into the same thing) - Aye Outlaw Dave :(

Come on Superfly....My trouble at the moment is too many trials going on, I can't find the time to ride them all.

Only my opinion, but I reckon once you've been involved with trials, you'll be bored with trail riding. It's great as an extra, but there is no replacement for a bit of competition.

Have a trip up to mid wales - we travel down to a few in your neck of the woods and its only a couple of hours. If you take a van between a few of you its no more than a tenner each for fuel.

Don't do it mate.

Best thing I ever did was selling the "Sunday pipe and slipper trip" bike and getting back to trials two years ago.

Check out www.trialspace.co.uk for trials in mid-wales or thereabouts.

Hi all

Outlaw Dave Posted on Jun 20 2004, 04:56 AM

SuperFly - There are no Sunny Valley's in Wales

lmao :D nice one Dave and your right there are no sunny valleys here which is why i'm all in favour of global warming :( we may yet see some sunshine here in about 200 years time.

Thanks for the good advice heath.

And the rest of you I know we dont like to see a member of the trials community hang up his boots so to speak but i've just moved job so had to take my towbar and rack off the company focus, I have no way of transporting the bike now until I get my new work van which may not have enough room to carry the bike in, suppose i could sneak a towbar on it though <_<

Yes there are a few events around me, trouble is I dont feel confident enough to ride an event and theres the "where to practice or in my case play" scenario.

I love my bike and trials too but the guys i ride with are a bit lame at the moment.

We have one with a dicky knee waiting for an op so hes out of action for at least 6 months, the person who usually gees us into action and arranges rides is going for his test too and is getting a trail bike, the other one is just lame and rarely joins us on outings so it seems i am/was the only real trials enthusiast out of the lot of us.

Other guys I know including a local bike dealer (10 years expert) who ride are way advanced in terms of ability so i'd feel really stoopid riding with them.

I have a good few home improvement projects on the go at the moment so wont be trading or buying anything just yet.

If money is ok at the end of the works then I may buy a pampera or maybe a full on road bike to keep the ol' Tx company and do the two - roadie for summer evening rides and general getting about and the Tx for dirty wet days out <_< sounds nice but like i said money is a factor so we'll see.

I've been to the llanfyllin site and love to see all the clever people in the photos, but clever I am not so maybe its just cos i'm crap and cant pluck up the courage (slow action throttle fitted to bike since day one <_< ) to try new things thats putting me off?

Anyway i'll still go for the test to get it under my belt.

cheers all

regards

superfly

I've been to the llanfyllin site and love to see all the clever people in the photos, but clever I am not so maybe its just cos i'm crap and cant pluck up the courage (slow action throttle fitted to bike since day one  :( ) to try new things thats putting me off?

There are some good riders at our trials, and they're good to watch, but by far the majority, and the ones who keep the club afloat are the Novices, Adult Beginners and Youth Beginners.

Marking out the expert route is usually fairly easy to hit the spot, but far more effort is put in to making sure the other routes are right.

Whichever way you go, enjoy, but it would be a shame and I remember how gutted I was when I came back to trials and realised I'd missed out on 17 years of practice.

to the US riders:

We are headed down the same path if we don't get more politically involved. I am all for tthe environment ( I used to wilderness canoe trip in the BWCA), but I respect it not worship it unused. There are honest environmentalists I know, and of course the nut cases. Unfortuantely, the nut cases are intensely active.

kcj

Surerfly...here's my two-penneth.

IF you have a bit of spare cash...get some lessons. THEN you wont feel intimidated to turn up at ANY event. I used to think the "trick riding" wasnt for me. ANd actually I still can't ride very trick!! :hyper: ...BUT some lessons on the basic techniques will help you understand the "tricks" and not be scared to try a few. It will also make your ride less hard work.

Steve Saunders has VERY reasonable trials schools. Check out his website...google search would find it. Then maybe you can find some less lame riders to hang out with :D:D