Sherco 320 4t

crasherinc

Hi everyone, help would be greatly appreciated! Have recently bought a 2005 4T Sherco in exceptional condition and can only say I'm very pleased with the performance and power etc. Lovely smooth bottom end, pulls like a tractor, very tractable with plenty of top end - everything the 290 isn't! This one is actually fun to ride and I had the most fun I've had on a bike for quite a while, so all in all I am very, very pleased. However, (there's always something!), the only down side was that I had problems starting it on a number of occasions which I'll explain here in the hope someone can help me:-

1. If I'd stopped it, (using kill button as advised), or stalled it and it was pointing downhill to any degree it just would not fire up at all. Turn it round and point it up hill and it would fire up second or third kick. Now I can see the answer to this would be obvious but..........................

2. A section I tried on a number of occasions calls for a shortish blast up a bank, tight turn between trees and a short drop back down on full lock. Bike stalled a number of times when going down the bank and refused to start having done so.

Now I realise some of this may be down to my riding technique and not being used to the four stroke differences but it doesn't seem to like being pointed downhill! Any clues as to what might be causing this? Has anyone had any such experiences and how did you resolve the problem? I did wonder about float height or whether float was possibly sticking but uphill ain't a problem and other than this the bike ran perfectly all the time. Any clues or suggestions would be greatfully received. Other than this 'minor' problem I think the bike is awesome!

Though it's a 2005 model it has been greatly update and includes 2008 cylinder head, cam, de-compressor, pwk28 carb and 2008 ignition system. No hot start device fitted though I do have it available.

Check for fuel in the airbox, it sounds like it is flooding, I had the same problem if I had a big get off or the bike was stood on the back wheel.

I put a small drain in mine made out of an old tube valve stem, so if it gets flooded with fuel or water you can take the valve cap off and drain.

If fuel is the problem you may need to adjust your float hight.

Thanks for the reply Ishy. Been out on the bike today and had much less trouble starting it all round due to using the kick start technique I found on the video on Sherco USA, gentle prod rather than a big hoof seems to work better. Still had one or two probs though so I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what the correct float level/height is and how best to measure it.

Best Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my take on the 2005 Sherco 320 4T and it's starting problems - some of the mods were done by it's previous owner and some by me so I can't claim credit for all of this work - I've only owned the bike for a month and I'm still getting to grips with it and after a bit of fettling and adjustment I find it is easy to ride, it finds grip in the least likely of situations and makes me look way better at trialling than I actually am..........

Here's a list of what has been done

Cam mods with new de-compressor mechanism

Re-inforced 2008 inlet manifold

Keihin PWK28 carb with :-

45 pilot jet

120 main jet

GFH needle on centre notch (part number to follow next time I have the carb off.....)

3.5 cutaway slide

Hot start mechanism fitted (although I never need to use it) - one point here - make sure that the vent hose from the inlet manifold doesn't get kinked when you put the fuel tank back on as this'll stop the hot start system working)

Float height set to 16.7 mm (it was 15.2 mm before and I had stalling problems before I changed this) - measured from the gasket face to the corner of float where the vertical edge meets the bottom

• 5 weeks later...

i have the same problem with my 06 sherco 125cc. 2t. i can ride it around fine but as soon as the down hill appears it fluffs and dies unless i keep the engine revving manualy instead of on tickover

As this is really a different animal(presume you are running the dellorto) sounds as though you need to clean the carby and verify the float height as well.

I recommend you start a new thread on this if you continue to have problems. :)

• 2 weeks later...