Security Help Thred

hop blip and a jump

perhaps andy could set up a new section where people can give advise on how others can secure our bikes, garages, shedsetc???

Not going to happen for the same reason we don't have areas of the forums dedicated to practice areas. Those sorts of things are best kept quiet or they fast become abused.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all Happy new year all, secondly a message to Hop, Blip and a Jump regarding a post in this topic under another thread. You are wrong to suggest the Police don't give a s**t, most cops do want to catch the low-life that prey on decent people and their property. There was another thread a few months back which turned into a cop bashing session from a number of people who did not really have a clue about the ridiculous scumbag loving judicial system we have nurtured in this country over recent years. There are people occupying prison places who have not paid poll tax or are guilty of tax evasion, are these people a threat to society? No they are not, but the drug fuelled burglar with numerous similar convictions to his name, who steals your kids Christmas presents two days before Santa is due and only gets a community punishment order (replace punishment with 'joke') is a threat to society.

At the start of each shift we have a computerised briefing where we will be made aware of various matters, far too often we are told that Joe Blogs has been released from prison to lets say a bail hostel and the prison and probation services have voiced concerns that he is a threat to society, one bloke last month was a sex offender with a history of abusing children, he was released to a bail hostel which is situated opposite a primary school, is it just me who thinks we have lost the plot?

This clever Labour government have introduced an intensive offender management programme for offenders the idea being that probation and police officers and other agencies such as housing, social services etc pressurise prolific offenders well one such chap was intensively managed (!) recently with two half hour visits per week after his release from prison during the rest of his free time he was committing around five burglaries per day and taking many of his proceeds to a 'sting' shop (a shop run by under cover cops to trap burglars and handlers of stolen goods although this is frowned upon by many prominent people within the judicial system as they consider it entrapment).

I am a serving cop in a large city force in the north west of Englandand have over fifteen years experience, six of those years was as a dog handler and in that time I arrested around 250 people with my dog. One of his arrests was of a burglar who ran and hid in a wooded area the multi million pound heat seeking camera equipped helicopter failed to locate the offender but my dog (weighing 120 pounds free from a good home and with built in four wheel drive and ultra sharp teeth) did and dragged him out of some conifers, it was a clean bite to his left forearm (in training they are taught to go for the right arm as most people are right handed but they will also go for the nearest limb if the right arm is inaccessible) which needed several stitches. The offender had been released early from prison for a number of similar offences (its called being on licence as his original sentence was yet to expire) and was returned to prison where he made a complaint that he was scarred for life and wanted to to take the matter to the European Court of Human Rights, despite the fact he admitted to the offence. He was paid

Baddies read these sites too. Go into detail and you let them know what they may expect when they try and break in. Better to share this sort of info in person, not on the World Wide Wotsit.

I know what you mean but there is no harm in sharing the run of the mill things people have done to add to security. Most of the thieves will have seen much more than most of us anyway.

Eiger's added a few to his thread there, and that sort of things the thieves will know, it does no harm to share.

In the end you're not going to stop them thieving from somewhere, but you do need to make it more difficult, even if it makes them move on to someone else - that doesn't sound too neighbourly eh, but maybe they've not got the stash of bikes etc that will attract the scumbags so much as you have.

You don't have to make your house impenitrable, for most thieves you just have to let them know you've thought about security, increase the risk enough to make them move on. I think if they really want to get in, they're probably going to manage it, it's just about maximising the risk for them.

A little bit of technology can go along way. We have a lot of automatic lights (9 I can think of inside and out) some of them on timers and some PIR so even the cats wandering round the house give the impression somebody is in.

Due to messed up shifts we don't have much of a routine so there's no guarantee we will be in or out at a particular time of the day or week which is handy.

And in response to your thread Eiger, I think a lot of people are aware of the restrictions the police work under. I suppose what people are commenting on is the whole justice system rather than the police specifically. The police are the front end that most people have contact with. I know a few and I understand the difficulties (or some of them at least), but to the public all that we see is ineffective policing (whatever the cause).

We're developing a scumbag country. It's not just the thieves who expect something for nothing. If half the country are being supported by the other half then no wonder we can't afford decent hospitals/schools/emergency services.

The do-gooders are just making the situation easier for the crooks and layabouts. Rant rant rant :thumbup:

:lol:

Having nosey neighbour's is the only security feature's i need,they've turned into some of my best friend's.

Had a builder in some time ago to lay a base for a shed in the back garden,whilst he was digging out and wheeling the dirt out the back gate,my neighbour came out to ask him if i knew what he was doing. :thumbup:

I find it amazing that not many people know there neighbour and if you don't know someone the chances are there not going to get involved.

Edited by bilco

And in response to your thread Eiger, I think a lot of people are aware of the restrictions the police work under. I suppose what people are commenting on is the whole justice system rather than the police specifically. The police are the front end that most people have contact with. I know a few and I understand the difficulties (or some of them at least), but to the public all that we see is ineffective policing (whatever the cause).

We're developing a scumbag country. It's not just the thieves who expect something for nothing. If half the country are being supported by the other half then no wonder we can't afford decent hospitals/schools/emergency services.

The do-gooders are just making the situation easier for the crooks and layabouts. Rant rant rant :thumbup:

:lol:

[/quote ]

Bikespace thanks for acknowledging that, I agree that the cops are the only face of the judicial system that most people will see and therefore get the blame for everything.

Do-gooders are doing a great job in promoting anarchy and will undoubtedly succeed if life continues as it is doing. I just get annoyed at unfounded cop bashing from people who do not understand what we have to put up with or what we want and strive for, in most shifts I do not eat or have a break as I am so busy. I wish I could tell and show you how close we are to anarchy, the Sex Pistols were bang on as it is arriving now. Not in the trials world though as we are still in the real world, especially ridrs of Yam mono's - lovely honest people!

Eiger

• 7 months later...

Just a note of advice. I notice many on here are mentioning mains powered alarms, please bare a couple of points in mind, especially as many garage / shed alarms (including the simple plug in variety) are aimed directly at bikers as a premium security product.

Please bare in mind that mains power is not as dependable as you might think. I aim this especially at owners of quite new houses. Think how the meter man reads your meter and what else is accessable in there!

Make sure any mains alarm has a decent battery backup, that is in good condition. This applies equally to domestic alarms. Remember that over time the backup battery starts to become ineffectlve, so get it renewed.

I mention this because a good friend of mine got nailed this way and it wasnt until he told me how that I went 'doh!!!

It should be noted that many thefts these days take place during the day, when there's no car in front of the garage, kids are at school, suburban streets are very quiet and there's few possible witnesses to crime let alone a bloke putting a bike in a van!

There is little subsitute for physical security measures and lots of it. PIR lighting, good garage locks, good anchor points within the garage are all good bets. Also think about what you have in your garage that might assist a thief. Lock away tools that will lend assistance to them, chances are he wont carry his own hacksaw. I can think of nothing more gauling than a crim using your tools to nick your bike.

I dont think that I'm giving away too much to a potential thief by mentioning this on here, I think that most of them will know this trick by now. But I am surprised by how many people I mention this to have missed it. I know I had.

Luckly I am the inventor on bike thief eating zombies, with rabies and AK47s which now live in my garage. Result.