That Time Again, A Year On!

copemech

Well, it's that time of year again! A little Christmas break and time to do the maintenance!

If you clean and pack your linkage well, it will last, if not you will pay the price!

Clean means clean! Well lubed means everything! A little soap and water, a good scrubbing in mineral spirits and a blow dry will get you to this point! All slippery downhill from here! :rolleyes:

Well, it's that time of year again! A little Christmas break and time to do the maintenance!

If you clean and pack your linkage well, it will last, if not you will pay the price!

Clean means clean! Well lubed means everything! A little soap and water, a good scrubbing in mineral spirits and a blow dry will get you to this point! All slippery downhill from here! :D

As my mother might have said:- ''..and have you cleaned under your swing-arm''??!! :rolleyes:

:hl:

No need i got a beta. :rolleyes:

I have ridden bikes owned by lad's who thought they didn't need to maintain them, for some reason those same people had this silly idea thier bike was worth twice as much has anyone was willing to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

They have bronze bushings with a grease groove and a hole for the grease to enter. See attached picture. The old beat up ones come off a 96 Gas Gas and the bronze bushings are for the same bike (steel links, not aluminum). The Sherco ones are on the right before the change (Aluminum links.).

NOW, the bad news. I haven't kept up with the greasing, so there is some free play. Since the links were modified, I'll have to get the whole set-up. This was an expensive experiment. It would probobly have been great if I rode Novice. Also, one of the bushings turned and I couldn't get grease into it. So I had to take it apart and turn it until the holes lined up. :rolleyes:

I ride Expert, and ride almost every weekend. I just got in from a 5 hour ride in the snow! I have never had a problem with hitting the grease fittings on rocks. If I greased them after every ride, they would have lasted longer.

Doesn't matter now, I'm selling the bike and going back to Beta. I've had too many problems with it.

Rock on!

Jareth

NewDogbonz.JPG

As you have discovered, the bronze is highly stressed in that application, specially when undernourished! Works fine on the brake pedal though!

There are some other bearing materials that may be considered for that application, but if you just maintain the stockers they are generally fine if you stay away from the pressure washer with them. :shutup: