Just A Peek At M' New Hodaka Motor

jaylael

Haven't built the rest of the bike yet, but I thought somebody out there might like to see these ultra secret photos from the Hodaka trials test and development center here in beautiful Oregon, the birthplace of the Hodaka motorcycle. I am envisioning a bike that suits this gem.

post-27-1199767287.jpg

post-27-1199767359.jpg

post-27-1199767441.jpg

I'll try to fill in the blanks a bit. Where to start. This is based on early 125 Wombat (94) center cases and transmission. The cylinder and head are from the late 125 Wombat (03). The crankshaft is a hybrid made from the 94 left crank half w 94 rod kit, and a Ace 100/B type right hand crank half, which allows the use of the 100 cc primary gears and clutch, thus achieving much lower internal gearing. The Ace clutch is modified to exacting specs to withstand monster clutch burnouts needed for trials. The custom built flywheel weight is fitted to a model 94 flywheel magneto w points, which is set to stock specs of 2.4 mm btdc.

After looking at the photos here, I think it may require a kehin flat slide trials carby like a the GG riders are fond of these days. That would be cool for sure.

As far as the mystical chassis it will probably be parts to a sherco, and it's hard to say how ambitious I will get. The bike will probabbly be evolving for the rest of my useful lifetime. :thumbup: Yes I hope to ride the B class in modern trials on it. As long as the sections are reasonable I should do ok, but I dread trying giant steep climbs on this imagined bike. It is not exactly a powerhouse, but it does ok. Hard to imagine the Hodie motor in a modern chassis, but that's the plan.

Before you panic that I am bent on destroying a good Sherco, think again. I intend to make the job sort of convertible, in that I intend to build the Hodaka using a scrap frame from a local Sherco dealer's warranty dept. then the rest of the parts can be transferred between the actual sherco and the Hodaka Sherco hybrid.

The final product will probably get the two tone green scheme shown on the following concept bike drawn by Dan Dwyer, who is a genius. This photo is from the early ninties! He was a visionary at that time to concieve such a bike, but all I'm going to pinch is the paint scheme.

post-27-1199802300.jpg

:D:thumbup: Call me old fashioned but that is what motors should look like. Simple and gorgeous. Hodaka rocks.

I agree with you! Thought I'd post a few shots of the rolling chassis I built for Bill Cook of www.hodaka-parts.com He has his own hand picked collection of Hodaka creators, and this bike will have the best of everything if I know Bill. I call this one the Classic Tree Frog. Rumours of a red plastic Bultaco tank are afoot. That should look purty. This frame and exhaust system are the product of about 60 hours work, then the front fender mount is another 6 hours to build, but they sure are cool. I build the fender mount to adapt a Combat Wombat front fender to the chrome Hodaka forks.

post-27-1199844560.jpg

post-27-1199844814.jpg

post-27-1199844908.jpg