Lower Back Pain

Hey all

Had the opportunity to ride a 4rt for a few events this Christmas which meant I stood up all the time. I normally ride a TY250, which allows me sit down, between sections and relax. Very quickly I started suffering from really bad lower back pain. I suffer from this time to time while riding my YZF250 during hare and hounds.

I know fitting bar risers would help but is there any exercises I can do to build up my lower back?

I also want to build up general riding fitness but I can only get out on my bike about once a month. Any one know of any exercises to keep myself fit when I am not racing.

Thanks in advance

Scott

dorsal raises will help your lower back, lay flat on your front hands stretches out in front of you, then raise your body and legs and keep your pelvic region on the florr you should feel it pulling on your lower back, that should help build your lower back muscles.

sounds like you need to lay of the crosser cause that wont do you any good at all. That in fact will be worse for you. Secondly only ridin once a month or 12 times a year aint gonna help. You need to be riding more if time allows. Rest your back from crossing, do more riding on trials bike and build up core muscles by general excersises. just google it and see what you come up with.

dorsal raises will help your lower back, lay flat on your front hands stretches out in front of you, then raise your body and legs and keep your pelvic region on the floor you should feel it pulling on your lower back, that should help build your lower back muscles.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said..skydivers,hold for a count of 10 then release.

Feels dumb doing, it but it works.

Edited by HAM2

I suffer from having a curved spine, a condition that I can do nothing about and regularly suffer back pain weather I am riding or not. I have found that wearing a back support and doing some gentle exercises and stretches before riding has helped allot. I know someone else in the same position who has fitted raised bars and they said it helped to. :thumbup:

Im no expert, but when I got back into skateboarding I found it really hard work on my joints and certain muscles, the best way for me to solve it was just to carry on through it and my body adapted.

So long as its not injury related and just muscular I would have thought your body would just get used to it and built the strengh needed to do the job?

Once again though, Im no expert!!

Hope it gets sorted in the long run and you can enjoy your riding properly.

Tom

Scott:

Low back pain can be an indicator that there is something wrong. Do you have leg pain, numbness or tingling as well? Do your legs feel weak at all? Does the back pain occur any other time besides riding? Have you had any abdominal pain or problems with bowel movements or urination? Have you had any hard crashes in your life? Do your work activities cause any difficulty? If you answer yes to any of these questions, you should consult a physician or a chiropractor to make sure there isn't a significant problem. If none of these questions seem to apply, let me know and I can give you a few tips that may help.

Rod Jackson, DC

Disclaimer..don't blame me !

Here's another one:-

Lie on your back,hands on chest and 'dig' your heels into the ground so your body is raised up on to your shoulder blades and heels only(hold for 10 secs then release).

This hydro-foil technique is also very good for achieving maximum velocity on a water-slide when you're on holiday(a coating of factor 50 suncream helps create a sonic boom ) :thumbup:

I suffer from this if I have not been on my bike for a while.

If it is nerve pain then there is a problem. I have had back pain from getting bounced about on the seat of my KTM. If you stand more then you can avoid this. However it leads to the next problem.

If it is the usual muscular burning pain then you either need to ride more or do some exercises as everyone else has pointed out. Core muscles are the key.

A good exercise for your lower back is 'the plank' Get into the press up position and then instead of doing a press-up lean on your elbows and straighten your body .... eh .... like a plank of wood. Try and keep your whole body as straight as possible during the exercise. Hold for a minute and rest. Repeat two or three times. Sounds simple but it is pretty hard. If you combine this with stomach exercises then you will really feel it.

What you do in the gym however will only help a bit on the bike, as you are generally always moving and riding for longer than you would ever do an exercise in the gym for.

This hydro-foil technique is also very good for achieving maximum velocity on a water-slide when you're on holiday(a coating of factor 50 suncream helps create a sonic boom ) :thumbup:

crossing your legs and lifting on only one heel works even better!! haha

Hey all

First off thanks to everyone for the input and advice.

I have started doing the exercises mentioned here daily so hopefully that will help. I have taken up running with my house mate whose a running nut so hopefully that will help. I am also trying to go swimming a couple times a week. However as is everything in life time is always an issue. :thumbup:

Scott:

Low back pain can be an indicator that there is something wrong. Do you have leg pain, numbness or tingling as well? Do your legs feel weak at all? Does the back pain occur any other time besides riding? Have you had any abdominal pain or problems with bowel movements or urination? Have you had any hard crashes in your life? Do your work activities cause any difficulty? If you answer yes to any of these questions, you should consult a physician or a chiropractor to make sure there isn't a significant problem. If none of these questions seem to apply, let me know and I can give you a few tips that may help.

Rod Jackson, DC

I have never suffered from any of the problems you mentioned Rod. Any extra tips or advice will be greatly received.

Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted

Scott :D

Alot of lower back pain is caused by weak abs (stomach)muscles. I learned this while working const. that consisted of being bent 90degrees at the waist for most of the day , making the back much stronger than the abs and pulling the spine and pelvis out of alignment. After doing ab excersices the back pain was eliminated. As others have said strong core muscles are the key. Don't just strengthen one do a balanced plan.

I injured my lower back at work last year and did a course of physio. A couple of the things my physio recommended were pilates, and inner core stability training. Of the two, the pilates helped the most although i felt like a bit of a dick as the only guy in the class i went to lol!

8 months on and my back is pain free so its definitely worked out. Ibuprofen is a bad idea - its anti inflammatory but it'll mostly just mask the pain, which can make you think everythings hunky dory and make things worse by pushing your back when resting would probably be better. Some physio's do special consultation rates, and check you over to see whats needed....might pay you to see one.