Ufo's

andy.t

Yeah Tim,

That's the old Man, but actually his name was T. Arnott Moffat, not "Arnold", a mistake that was made by folks who misheard his name on more than one occassion!

Still have the house nameplate fitted to the plinth his old bike stands on, just as a wee tribute to him!

Big John

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Andy we've hijacked your thread.

John, As I "mature" I'm developing something of a seething envy of you chaps in the "old country". Many in those fair isles don't appreciate the history and tradition by which they're surrounded. In my life I've had the (mis)fortune to have moved from country to country and there's no time to establish those little traditions. Countries like NZ or SA are new countries, the architecture is rarely more than 100 yo. I guess trials riders are, arguably, the most traditional of all motorsports people with tradition still on view and competing. However my recent visit left me cold with the wholesale architectural slaughter of many towns in England. Sad.

It's people like you, Dabster, Greeves, Black Cat etc that make our sport as culturally rich as it is.

Edited by TooFastTim

Wonder if Flt. Lt. "Tony283" ever saw one on his travels, or is he still "classified" on such topics :rolleyes:

Over to you Black Cat...

Big John

Squadron Leader..

He could tell us but then he'd have to kill us. Give it a few weeks and he can answer.

Edited by TooFastTim

I suppose you are right there Tim, when I was a boy he was indeed entered in the SSDT as a Flt. Lt.

Sorry Andy T, we digressed a bit on this thread and no, my old man was never abducted by aliens, I think he was too big to abduct, he would have argued with them though! :rolleyes:

Big John

Come on Tony spill the beans, well known fact that RAF boys have done their fair share of UFO spotting over the years!

Here's a photo of Arnott with his favourite trilby hat, he is having a chat with Walther Luft in 1973 at Blackford Hill at the end of the Scottish. That's his 2.4 Jag, I learned to drive in that! quite quick, but as I remember the brakes were not too brilliant!

Edited to add note: Blimey I calculated it out, for those that know me and perhaps Arnott, when that photo was taken, he was 6 years younger than I am now...that's scary!

post-26-1200101734.jpg

Edited by Big John

Big John & Others,

At this risk of having to eat you or drink you into submission....... yes I did see one many years ago.

We were on detachment in Cyprus with the Phantoms from RAF Coningsby and it was about 1.30 in the morning and we were sitting outside our accommodation block drinking yet more duty free libations. There were 5 of us I believe, and we were sitting facing East when a single light appeared in the east (No it wasn't Christmas Eve) and was tracking Westbound at very high speed. We all watched it and remarked that it was probably Concorde coming out of Bahrain and en-route to London as it was traveling so fast. It then just STOPPED!..... We all looked and sure enough this "thing" appeared to be stationary, and after all the "did you see that?" type comments the "thing" then shot off at incredible speed in a Southerly direction until it disappeared over the horizon.

Had it just been me then I would probably put it down to the usual self inflicted detachment demise, but on this occasion there were 5 of us and we had all watched it.

The following day we asked to see the area air defence radar film from RAF Troodos but there was not a blip on it!

Warp 6 Mr Zulu..... make it so!

Captain/Sqn Ldr 283 Tony Down

Big John & Others,

At this risk of having to eat you or drink you into submission....... yes I did see one many years ago.

We were on detachment in Cyprus with the Phantoms from RAF Coningsby and it was about 1.30 in the morning and we were sitting outside our accommodation block drinking yet more duty free libations. There were 5 of us I believe, and we were sitting facing East when a single light appeared in the east (No it wasn't Christmas Eve) and was tracking Westbound at very high speed. We all watched it and remarked that it was probably Concorde coming out of Bahrain and en-route to London as it was traveling so fast. It then just STOPPED!..... We all looked and sure enough this "thing" appeared to be stationary, and after all the "did you see that?" type comments the "thing" then shot off at incredible speed in a Southerly direction until it disappeared over the horizon.

Had it just been me then I would probably put it down to the usual self inflicted detachment demise, but on this occasion there were 5 of us and we had all watched it.

The following day we asked to see the area air defence radar film from RAF Troodos but there was not a blip on it!

Warp 6 Mr Zulu..... make it so!

Captain/Sqn Ldr 283 Tony Down

See...I knew Black Cat would have seen something during a long RAF career, most have! Normally its' usually easily explained, but there are some instances where it is not.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there are such things as UFOs, but then again...do we know everything?

Big John

I think science quite clearly shows that there is no such things as ufo's.

I know you regularly talk a lot of bollox but you have excelled this time with this statement.

The facts are science cannot disprove the existence of UFO's so therefore there remains a theoretical probability that they do exist, until proven otherwise :rolleyes:

'You might say that; I couldn't possibly comment'

Dunno, such matters verge on the philosophical. A famous scientist (JBS Haldane) once said "The universe isn't stranger than man thinks, it's stranger than man CAN think.". However said universes should apparently be completely incommunicado from this one.

Good quote TTT :angry: although string theory has stalled a bit this year :rolleyes: Current thinking is maybe it's not the answer they thought it would be . With my current understanding, there isn't a replacement theory either so it must be a bit depressing at the moment if you are a theoretical physicist!

so what happened to the so called engineer in you then?

Explain how a "spaceship" gets in and out of our atmosphere is unseen by all the military early warning systems, abducts a scotsman and then goes away, and only seen by a handful of people.

Oh yeah mastermind while your at it explain crop circles aswell?

Lol you are so comical! You bring out the 'abduction of a scotsman' chestnut in your defence. And crop circles as well !! :rolleyes:

I am not going to attempt to explain anything but stand by my statement that until proven otherwise, there is a theoretical probability that other lifeform exists in the universe. Whether they have advanced to a position where they have developed a powered interstellar transportation system is not known. But as we don't know for sure, we can't say either way. That's why your statement is total bollox!

Ladies and Gentlemen... welcome to Celebrity Fight Night, where a couple of trials fanatics fight to the death. In my left corner, Nigel Dabster; in my right corner, Atom Ant.

Of course these are not their real names. It's a heated debate about whether or not unidentified flying objects exist or not!

You don't get this kind of entertainment in Trials and Motocross News, do you Ladies and Gentlemen?

Let the bating begin.......

muppets

Oooooooooh, unqualified opinions, faux intellectual superiority and ad-hominems! I know how this works, can I go now please?

*Ahem*

IV AD UR MUM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!11111!!!111

Ahhh, that's better. Takes me right back to the days of the old TA forums :rolleyes: