Ufo's

andy.t

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dabster,what I find strange is when somebody says they have seen strange lights in the sky that travel at speeds you cant explain,to then say you need an explanation as to why the radar didnt detect it sounds a bit daft.Its a bit like saying my metal detector wont detect spuds.

Explain how a "spaceship" gets in and out of our atmosphere is unseen by all the military early warning systems, abducts a scotsman and then goes away, and only seen by a handful of people.

Dabster,what I find strange is when somebody says they have seen strange lights in the sky that travel at speeds you cant explain,to then say you need an explanation as to why the radar didnt detect it sounds a bit daft.Its a bit like saying my metal detector wont detect spuds.

:rolleyes:

What are the probabilities of life happening on our planet? If life could happen on our planet, then what are the probabilities that it was the only place that it only ever happened here?

Chances are we may be one of many. And if we weren't the first, then maybe other civilisations are way more advanced than us. We're already creating aircraft that evade radar, only a hundred years after inventing aircraft.

If you're going to use the logic that if we can't prove it, it didn't happen, then half of this planet need to catch up with you and abandon ALL religion.

There's more probability of life on another planet than there is of any God, but billions of people believe the latter.

Off you go Atom/Dabster - we've moved it to religion :angry:

Oh no!

You'll be starting to talk about politics next!

I have always tried to avoid both politics and religion in conversations whenever possible.

Having been brought up in an area of Scotland that was just bristling with religous biggotry (Orange Lodges versus the Knights of St. Columba etc) I always thought trials was devoid of such matters and that's why I became a motorcycling biggot instead. I can't be bothered with football and yet it's Scotland's national game!

I thought this thread was about UFO's????

Edited to include:

I thought God was Senior Bulto!

Big John

Edited by Big John

think it should be public... sort of make up for the missing Lanes world, but with two people convinced that their own views are right :rolleyes:

I'm more than convinced that what I have said is correct in this instance. It goes without saying that unless it's possible to prove otherwise, you cannot claim something as fact.

However, I can claim that Dabster talks bollox as fact though cant I because he has proven that in this thread right ? :angry:

I can't be bothered with football and yet it's Scotland's national game!

The Scotland team has much the same view.

I thought your national game was curling these days, or Tossing the caber, haggis throwing, I dunno anything that nobody else does so that you can have a world series that only you compete in. Ah I could be thinking of somebody else there :rolleyes:

Big bunch of girls.......no one resorted to maths or bull$h!t yet..:

Examine the Milky Way (our Galaxy, not the choccy bar you can eat between meals without ruining your appetite)

Okay if we assume, using latest estimates, that there are 400 billion stars (4.0 x 1014, one UK Billion = 1.0 x 1012) in the Milky Way then a little bit of assumption and maths tells us the following:

if 1 in 100 stars in the Milky way have planetary systems then there are:

4.0 x 1014 / 100 = 4.0 x 1012 supporting a planetary system in the Milky Way

If we then assume 1 in 100 of these stars have planetary systems similar to the Solar System then there are:

4.0 x 1012 /100 = 4.0 x 1010stars with planetary systems similar to the Solar System in the Milky Way

If we then assume that 1 in 8 planets (Pluto is not officially a planet anymore) is capable of supporting intelligent life AS WE KNOW IT.. then

4.0 x 1010 / 8 = 5 x 109 or 5,000,000,000 planets capable of supporting life in our own Galaxy.

This is purely based on simple numbers no other factors taken into account, however; as 75% of the stars in the Milky Way are Red Dwarfs and lack the UV Radiation thats been critical in evolution of life on Earth then we could safely cut that number by a quarter to 1,250,000,000 potential planets that could support life.

It is completely unknown how many stars have planetary systems or if these planets have moons that can support intelligent life (many scientists thought that Europa, one of Jupiters moons, may have the right conditions), it's impossible to accurately review these numbers.

If we assume however, purely for hypothesis sakes, these numbers are realistic (not flippin likely) then based on the estimate of 240 billion galaxies in the known universe, then:

(1.25 x 109) x (2.4 x 1014)= 3 x 10 23 planets (and Milton Keynes :angry: ) capable of supporting intelligent life.

Based on these numbers alone I think it's safe to say there are others out there however there are far better brains than mine looking at this. Dr Frank Drake, the guy who championed and was instrumental in setting up SETI (Search for Extra Terrestial Intelligence) created The Drake Equation in the 60's examining the true potential extent of life in other star systems, worth a read.....(maybe), alternatively, you could always go along with the thinking of Enrico Fermi another eminent physisist who created The Fermi Paradox which questions the apparent contradiction between the high probability of extraterrestrial civilizations' existence and the lack of contact with such civilizations. The Wikipedia geeks go into Drake and Fermi much better than I ever could, I'm not going to cut and paste :angry: links above.

UFO's, definately, there has to be someone else out there with the same power of imagination to ask the same questions we do. Jeez, you'll have us question the existance of Nessie soon :angry:

This post has been sponsored by Billy Craig, Healthchek and Bull$h1t Organisation and by the Dabster and AtomAnt Fighting Fund. :rolleyes:

Edited by Slapshot 3

Wow Slapshot! that is some post, I didn't know you had that much info in the brain of yours, you have me impressed.... my liege!

Big John

(studying "Cemoto and the Enjoyment of Dynamic Balance at the University of Bultaco, San Adrian De Besos, Spain) :rolleyes:

Bultaco - Motorcycles spoken here!

Bultaco - Built to Go

Bultaco Cemoto Fabricados en Espana

Wow Slapshot! that is some post, I didn't know you had that much info in the brain of yours, you have me impressed.... my liege!

The brain is wrapped round the waist, how else would it get this big..... :angry:

Been studying all this stuff since I was a kid, Physics, Maths you want to see some of the books I have at home, of all the really bright guys think Carl Sagan is my favourite, had to move one of his books out to get your's in :rolleyes:

The brain is wrapped round the waist, how else would it get this big..... :angry:

Been studying all this stuff since I was a kid, Physics, Maths you want to see some of the books I have at home, of all the really bright guys think Carl Sagan is my favourite, had to move one of his books out to get your's in :rolleyes:

You want to see the books I've got a home...they are full of motorbikes!

Maybe I'll get more intelligent, my waistline has expanded too...

Big John

(getting Bigger!)