Renthal Rumour

betarev3

The trials community is small and our options (parts)are few, but why pay the "TRIALS" sites/shops big money for what are essentially universal parts! I have no problem in supporting local trials shop/website for trials specific parts, but also feel these retailers are taking advantage by charging "trials" prices for universal type parts , mainly because our options are so few. Do a little homework, save a bunch of money !! cj :shutup:

Support your local dealer, even if it costs you an extra couple of quid over ebay/online price. You are then contributing to your local economy, keeping your local shop in business, and more importantly, one day you might need that local dealer, and if everyone has the same attitude as you, he wont be there!!!

Pete , i agree with your sentiment of "support the locals or they wont be there" , well here in the states they arent here ! we do not (generally speaking) have local shops ! all we really have is websites, and you could count those on a single hand ! And it is my opinion that they take full advantage of that fact . So if i can buy a chain(etc)at a traditional cylcle shop @ a better price , i am going to do so ! Dont get me wrong , i am all for supporting the sport of trials, but me spending $90 dollars for a $50 dollar chain , IS NOT going to put more people on trials bikes ! cj

sorry mate. i thought you were in birmingham, over here, ie brummiesville lol. in that case yes, use your resourcefulness, but, again, thses online dealers you might need one day, just tell them that you can get the same part for X dollars elsewhere, and you would like to spend the money with them, but obviously they are going to need to do something on price.

As for UK readers........use your local dealer :shutup: .. or feel ashamed :o

Ever buy and expensive CD player? Don't bother, buy a cheapo. They're all made by one of two or three manufacturers and rebadged. The chips inside CD players are all the same anyway. It's simply not worth a company tooling up for all the products they market so (for example) Kenwood makes CD players and resells to Teac, Akai, Sony etc, Akai makes flat screen tvs and resells to Sony, Teac, on so on.

I've yet to find a CD player, cheap or dear that lasts more than 4 years anyway.

I have had My Meridian 200 since 1992. Yes was

I suppose sometimes you get lucky. I've got a JVC I bought in Germany in 1990, coming up 18 years old and still going strong.

Even got twin cassettes, do they still sell them? :o

What a tight 4rse :o

P.S. Was too busy today, didn't have time for Regina....... :shutup:

Edited by bikespace

Well, well :o thanks for all your replies. So it seems my informant was correct in one respect, but wrong in another. What I mean is that yes, Renthal chain may be made by Regina, but that doesn't mean it is the same spec/quality as a Regina branded chain. I guess that is an acceptable situation for both companies, as they can both appeal a slightly different customer base - one buying on top quality only and one buying with the price in mind :shutup: - at least I hope that is the case....

This kind of thing apparently goes on in many industries where a big 'name' OEM will also manufacture similar product for resellers to re-brand, so I say good luck to Renthal - providing their claims of a superior product are not simply calculated cynical marketing.

There may be a difference, firstly in the plates thickness, which contributes to ultimate load factor, but it is mostly the pins and rollers that suffer the most wear, and thicker plates will not prevent a poorly lubed chain from wearing! Just as a well lubed chain will not prevent an overstressed chain from breaking!

I think the IRIS must have had a bad batch of heat treatment on the plates or pins if I am correct1 This has probably been corrected by now, but I am a bit surprised not to see a formal statement from them, as many have reported much grief and some damage from this issue! I wonder what would happen if someone actually called them? :shutup:

At the time I thought they were a fairly small scale chain manufacturer.

Somewhere on the web you will find the interview with the Regina engineer in which it was revealed that Regina invented the O-ring chain so they do have some substance.

Ref the 428 thing. It always seemed to me that a 428 was better as the rollers are wider and there are more of them per foot so more load bearing capacity?

If Renthal do chain and sprockets in this size for Beta then I shall be giving it a try next time round.

Edited by 2/4