Breather Pipes On The Carb?

beta bodger

I am not sure about the Dellorto carb but on the Keihin carb, am I told, should not have any breather pipes fitted to it!?

I have ran the bike with pipes which I am told are atmospheric pipes and allow the correct presures to be achived in the float bowl.

Its cleaning time for me and I am debating wheather to refit the cleaned pipes?

What do you think?

Edited by Beta Bodger

I think you need to take the Kiehin off, put a stock dellorto on it, run 2 short vent tubes about 50mm long to let stuff accumulate there rather than at the carby inlet yet still protect from water entry, and you would not need to clean the carby as often, it would be gentler to ride and you would be a happy fellow with fewre problems in your life! :shutup:

Pretty much as copemech said, with either carb run short separate breather tubes angled downward. I've not heard of not fitting breather tubes to a Keihin, have always fitted these and never been a problem. The vents are there to allow the float bowl area to be at atmospheric pressure and should always be allowed to run downward so that any petroil spilled does not accumulate in the pipework, preventing the float bowl from "seeing" atmospheric pressure.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks Cope but to be honest where I am in the country its always wet and muddy! So its worth a clean now and then.

Pipes on it is then!

Tricks for the mud!

Duct Tape!

Dellorto!

Slow timing a bit!

Boyesens!

Lower the fork tubes in the clamps!(raise the front)

RYP's 1/2 back pegs!

= TRACTION!= Different Bike! :shutup:

I always use the method as seen on thorpys cub and i have used it for years on my Fantic . Run one peice from each vent so the tube sits just below float bowl and cut a small nick in one half of the tube in the middle on the bottom side to allow both to vent. Can post a picture if my description is vague!

Problem with the Kiehin is that it only has one vent open from the factory(for the bowl) and it is located on the muff side with little room for a hose of any sort. The blanked nipple on the left side needs to be drilled out in order to provide dual vents as the dellorto has. You never want the tubes to be able to hold fuel as this may cause the inability to equalize the atmospheric pressure and associated running problems, and that is why the factory did away with them.

If one really wanted to do up a Kiehin, he would need to machine it to accept dual downward angled pipes similar to the dellorto! :banana2: