Gas Gauge

sectionone

Most trials and riding areas near where I live are so small a 3 liter tank and 5th and 6th gears are unnecessary. I'd like to only fill the tank with enough gas for a loop or a riding session but with the GG tank I can't tell how much is in there and would top off to be safe. I would be carrying around unnecessary extra weight up high where you want it least. 3 liters of gas weighs about 4.5 lbs and I only need about .5 liter for a loop or session. I can save weight by filling up with only the gas that I need and keeping in on reserve. So I made this simple visual gas gauge with clear fuel line and two vacuum line T-fittings. The green line shows where I usually fill to and circled is a bubble level to ensure I get an accurate reading. The top T fitting is in between the cap and the line valve so gas doesn't spill out. I had to use a smaller diameter hose to fit the space above the radiator and through the frame. The small line is for model boats and was bought at a hobby store. My reserve is now a .375 liter camping fuel bottle I carry in my fanny pack. If someone made a small capacity tank that weighed 1/4 of stock, I would buy it.

gasgauge.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A weight saving topic, marvellous ;)

My ideal solution (for me) would be a strict diet. That way I could save about 12 pounds, save money by not buying beer and then ruin it all by investing in a larger tank so I could go round and round and round without stopping to fill up with petrol :D

Neat trick with the fuel pipes though :thumbup:

point is that we need light and small petrol tank for sure.

carbon fiber one which been usin by Raga would be fantastic to get in my hands!

i'm waiting when eventually JT7 (jorditarres) will produce it for us.

lightness is da good thing no matter what you say.

Do you have more than one spirit level on the bike to make sure it is completely level? And have you noticed that all other manufacturers bikes are heavier than the Gas Gas?

I just use the bike's balance for side to side level and the bubble level for front to back. I made my Gas Gas even lighter for just a few dollars. Next project is to replace the 2 lb. tank with a 6 oz. 650ml fuel bottle. Save some weight and dents! I'll need to find a way to cover the gap between the frame. Maybe something soft.

i don't think sticking a fuel bottle there would be a good idea, as the port for the airbox is right behind the existing petrol tank so unless you are in a dry area it would get flooded with water. but if your all about saving weight, not just remove stuff that you find unessary, like the flap in the airbox, shorter the mudguard et...