Fork Dent, What To Do ?

hugo

Got my new Sherco, did'nt take time to get myself a set of fork protectors and what needed not to happen happened... dropped the bike on a sharp rock and dented on of the inner tubes of my fork.

The seal is not leaking but I am wondering if I should try to reduce the sharpness of the dent or if I should not touch it. I suspect there is some kind of treatment on the fork so that it should not be sanded/filed...

Any experience?

Edited by hugo

i did this to my beta really big chip in the slider so i took it home wet and dryed it to get rid of the sharp stuff and get it level again. then i put a good splodge of super glue in the chip waited till it dryed fully (few hours) wet and dryed that back with a really fine paper (1000 grade) i did this till the super glue was level with the slider surface then just used metal polish to polish that are up all smoth again to make a good surface and i have not had any trouble since it is worth a try cause if it does work for you it could save a lot of money

If there are any shape bits it could damage the inside of the suspension. Water could possible get in and damage more things.

Gavin

Also beta boy how about you grow up and stop being an a***hole all you life. Use you head and think for once

well all i am saying that it worked for me and it has been like that for 3 months now with no problems i was only trying to pass on a tip and then you go and say if you do it ur self it wont work when it has obviously worked for me :hyper:

Well so far it is not leaking and does not seems to interfere with the regular movement, I am just guessing the seal will deteriorate quicker because of this sharp little spot.

If I bust the seal in the next hours of use then I'll consider trying to repair first than change the tube if it fails.

Anyone already bought a new tube? what price range are we talking about?

Hugo--

If you leave a protrusion on the fork tube it will damage the seal. A small dent that does not protrude will not. Use a file or course sand paper on a hard block to knock any protrusion down, then sand smooth with fine sandpaper. If there is any leaking it will only be when the dent is passing the seal. If you leave a protrusion that damages the seal, it will always leak.

Repair it, what do you have to lose?

Richard

I'm with sirdabsalot on this one. I've seen lots of fork nicks fixed with a good flat stone.

Just take some fine emery or better yet a small flat stone and carefully smooth the surface where the dent is. This will remove the sharp bits that will damage the seal. If the dent is small enough, the seal will maintain it's seal pretty well and not leak.

WB has the right idea about fixing things "the right way", but in this case the stone may be a passable fix, as long as the dent is not too large.

A new fork inner for a Beta is about 110 pounds. I know 'cause I scratched mine and the seal kept leaking.

BUT...I did a repair with araldite, and rubbed it down smooth, and it has never been a problem since. (over one year now..and I ride at least once a week).

I agree (of course if you have the money) get a new one...but if not...try the repair first...if it dont work, THEN buy a new one :hyper:

betaboy    I did this to my beta really big chip in the slider so i took it home wet and dryed it to get rid of the sharp stuff and get it level again. then i put a good splodge of super glue in the chip waited till it dryed fully (few hours) wet and dryed that back with a really fine paper (1000 grade) i did this till the super glue was level with the slider surface then just used metal polish to polish that are up all smoth again to make a good surface and i have not had any trouble since it is worth a try cause if it does work for you it could save a lot of money.

betaboy has the answer.

Had a well used 1984 TY250 and used that fix worked great!

THESE REPAIR IDEAS ALL SOUND VERY GOOD, not sure what araidite is? I also know of a metallized epoxy resin called DEVCON F that is sold by Grainger here in the states. It may work well too, but I hope I do not have to try it!

Beta Boy's original idea reminds me of a fellow demonstrating a form of super glue at a trade show I attended this spring. When he wanted to build up an area in a surface he added a special powder to the glue and when it hardened it was totally machineable. You could build up areas in chipped ceramics, metals and such very easily.

Turning the tube in a lathe and finishing with 600-1000 grit would polish the tube to a fine finish when the repairs are completed.

I usually try to fix things to get by till the end of the season then either replace everything that needs replacing or just get a new(or newer) bike!

:hyper: