Tlm 50 ?

g14gav

Hi all,

The latest addition to my garage is a tlm 50, I know nothing about these and very few people seem to, thats either because there rare or there really c**p!

Anyway i have aquired this bike and it needs some tlc! Wondering how many there is around and if it is likely to be an UK model? Think it is around 1983-4?

Is there a Honda number i can ring to find out?

Also how much would it be worth in good condition? This may out weigh the point of tinkering with it!

Any info would be greatly appriciated!

Cheers

Gav

Hello Gav,

There is one TLM50 that I know of in NZ, that has been running well since around the late 1980's. Like most Honda engines, they are well built and seem to last a long time. I don't know if they were ever officially imported into the UK, so I'd say they are a rare bike!

Bye, PeterB.

I had one from Palin's in Derby where my dad used to work. Loved it especially when it was made in to a 65. A lad i rode with at YMSA had watercooled Kawasaki (i think) engine fitted in his. Can remember Paul Edmonson having one before me as my friend had his trick swinging arm of him. Seem to remember Luke Wood having one done in Rothmans colours.

Will ask my dad what the numbers were on mine as he still keeps a book with everything, may help you identify it.

Apparently it wasn't a kawasaki engine it was a watercooled Honda 80cc trail bike engine. The bike was sprayed green though, so to my 8 year old brain that obviously = kawasaki. :banana2: The lad who rode it, Andi Notman is doing well in Road Racing now.

I'm not the best to help you with knowledge about them, i was only 8 years old when i had mine so all i can remember is being chuffed to bits with it. Was the closest i could get to my hero Eddie Lejunes bike. Was certainly lots about in the areas/clubs i rode at. Not sure you'd get your cash back selling it for a youth rider as theirs far superior bikes nowadays but its defiantly worth it from a collectors point of view. I'd have my old one back just for the fantastic memories.

If theirs anything specific you want to know, let me know and i'll ask my dad. Think he built a few in his time at the Honda dealers.

When I was riding my TLR250 Delwiche in 1986 in the Belgium's trial national championship, there were a few young guys riding on TLM50 and one boy on mono-shock RTL50.

In the port of Bangkok were I go sometimes to find bikes and spares parts for TLR, TLM and RTL, there is one of these tlm50 for sale. Since 2 years, nobody is interested and at the not negotiable price of about 400

Cheers, thats a really good pic!

So is that the colours it is as standard? or were the factory prepared different? mine seems to have red frame and red bits here an there! If im gonna do this properly i may as well have it totally original and standard!

Gav

TLM 50s are a good choice for sub-adult size youngsters wanting to ride twinshock class as they are a bit smaller all over than a full size bike and quite light for a twinshock. The motor performance is very good for a 50. Standard size trials tyres, while not leaving much clearance at the swingarm, can be fitted.

As far as I know they were only sold new in Japan, but there are quite a few now which have been imported second hand (to Australia) from Japan.

Motor parts (not that they usually need them) are not too hard to get as the motor is shared with a Honda moped or scooter. Body parts are scarce.

The photo is of a youngster in our local club on her TLM50.

• 2 weeks later...

What happend to the Paul Edmondston TLM50? Did he finish the Six Days! ....was it really a competitive machine or for publicity? Does anybody know what other mods have to be made to make one competitive, a small light rider would help I guess! Wasn't there an 80cc conversion? Was the alloy swinging arm a special or as those fitted to RS's. The one piece tank unit looks RS too...

Regards, NAT.

• 1 month later...

hello mate ,i fitted a kawasaki ae/ar 80 piston kit to my tlm 50.my one has definately been bored,but honda did make tlm 50,60,70,80,125 and so on.the bottom of the skirt on the piston has to be cut down a touch to miss counter weights on crankshaft.also the measurment from the center of the gudgen pin to the top of piston crown is slighly shorter,which will give you a bigger squish gap hence lower the compresion,which will probably take it back down to the power of a 50cc.thisis the only piston that has almost identical measurments.i hope this is useful to you......oh the bike chugs along fine.

• 4 months later...

i have a tlm 50 in really excellent condition, starts everytime firsttime ive not quite got it perfect and im in the uk for all of you wondering if there is any over here and i can get 4-5oo bp for it so reconcider how much you guys are ssellin these bikes for. regards ross