Scorpa Or Sherco

trialstime

Guys,Im back into trials after 15 yrs. off. Im going to purchase an `07 Scorpa SY 250 or an `07 Sherco 290. Please give me as much info as you can about handling,performance and maint. issues both good and bad. (Im an Intermediate level)

Not sure where you are located, but you should try and get a ride on both, as they are apples and oranges with the Sherco leaning more toward light weight and perkiness, easiest to work on, and the Scorpa more gentle and flexable, very solid well built performer with smooth power.

:wacko:

hey my dad had both been on both it depends how you ride the scorpa is a smooth bike that feels heavier than the sherco but it feels perfectley balanced the sherco on the other hand is a lot easier to bouce and more zippy the motor is beutiful but still feels balanced gp for the shercp m8 definetley :wacko:

Andy, can't we have an exclusion clause in the terms and conditions for "which bike" posts? They ALWAYS end up in slanging match of the "my bikes better than your bike" type. Maybe a sticky with objective opinions of each model, written by seasoned members.

Please? Then we can bounce guys whose first posting is "what's the best bike?" :wacko:

Sorry trialstime, my rant isn't aimed at you in particular but at the muppets that start the "my bikes better than your bike" angle to these threads.

Edited by TooFastTim

but my bike is better than your bike!

Ive ridden an 07 scorpa and found it a nice solid ride, it felt a little heavier than others but not really a problem, I also owned a 2002 scorpa (before it was stolen) and the only thing i disliked about it was that the carb was a pain to get off.

I have ridden an 05 sherco but I wouldnt like to put my opinion on it as it was a bit old and I dont think it was very well maintained!!

Tom

Been through this type of quandry recently myself too.

Maybe the poster should state their location, and a couple of guys volunteer to give a test ride on their bikes at the next local trial or something?

Would help reduce the subjectiveness of advice, and everyone always says "have a go on both and decide yourself". Getting a go can be harder than you think when you are first starting/returning and dont know too many people.

Just my thoughts, cheers.

Andy, can't we have an exclusion clause in the terms and conditions for "which bike" posts?

Sorry trialstime, my rant isn't aimed at you in particular but at the muppets that start the "my bikes better than your bike" angle to these threads.

I think Andy is still working on FAQ's, so perhaps this subject will qualify for one of those. Along with... 'how do I upload photos?', 'is my Rev3 stator broken?' and 'which are the best boots?' (I'm guilty of asking two of those myself :wacko:

For a biased opinion, I :wacko: my 07 Scorpa. The Engine is strong but smooth, and crisp off the throttle. The suspension is magic (to me) and I find the steering precise and accurate and never ever feels like it wants to 'tuck'. Good riders complain about the front end weight, but I'm not into the hoppy boppy stuff so don't give a damn. I've had it for 12 months now and only serious maintentance has been new wheel bearings and head bearings (which are probably down to my over zealous use of jet wash). I have not had the carb off at all but I do clean the air box and air filter after every trial and its still runs sweet.

I've mentioned this before, but if you manage to try them, try the same section on both and make it something you don't easily clean.

I really would like to see a proper test like this with a variety of bikes, something like the performance bike mags do with road bikes.

The reason I mention this is that the Scorpa seems to be one of those bikes that you get on and think "Oooooh this is nice, I like the feel of this", but the results don't seem to come quite as easy as other machines.

I've got to add that this really is just my gut feeling, and may also be biassed. I've been Sherco for 4 years.

I think the Scorpa is a great workhorse, but I still don't put it in the same class as the others.

I genuinely feel that the Scorpa flatters my very limited ability, and I've owned at least one of all the others over the years. But then again.... I'm rubbish.

So perhaps in my case the Scorpa only helps a bad rider look slightly less bad?

I consider myself an expert on trials bikes.

I own a 2000 Sherco 2.9 (which I am currently putting way too much money into for a rebuild and taking care of things that were negleted by previous owner and then me.)

I have ridden 1 04? Scorpa 250

I have ridden 1 04 GasGas 300

I have ridden 1 02? montesa (2stroke)

I have looked at a Beta ride by.

The ones I have ridden have been for about 10 mins each.

With my vast amount of experience, Oh who am I kidding, I don't know crap. The preceding was done as an example of the background that some responders would have with various bikes. And usually that explains why they recommend the one they ride cuz that is the one they actually know.

The best advice is to try all that you are considering, if it is possible to get a ride on them. One thing to consider is the mounting tabs for the skid plate, I am not sure how strong they are on the newer bikes or other makes, but my 2000 Sherco has a bad habit of breaking the mounts near the swing arm.

My personal biased opinion, I like my Sherco, probably will like it much more after the rebuild. But am definately considering the 300 GG for my next bike. If my wifey ever says I can buy a new bike.

From a maintainance point of view the Scorpa must win hands down, although the carby's a pain to remove all the daily run of the mill maintainance is easy to complete. All the parts are of a higher quality than most trials bikes especially the engine just look at the thickness of the crankcases etc: certainly built to last.

Cost of upkeep is minimal, shelling out a fortune on the Sherco's linkages every year is no joke when even after a complete rebuild there is still play in the rear end. The scorpa requires just two bearings for the rear shock and even they will last a couple of seasons of mild abuse before replacing,

Power wise, unless you can utilise a snappy engine to its full potential the scorpa will dig you out of more sh#@ than the more perky donks!! If you want more zap the scorpa can be easyly tuned by adjusting the stator.

For resale value just compare the average prices between the two bikes!!

I know people say that the forum shouldn't be a slagging match betwwn brand but the question was Scorpa or Sherco!!

Even as a Sherco rider I have to agree with all of Yamfan's comments.

Although you can get all of the bearings from standard bearing manufacterers, they're still not cheap, although I've only had to do mine twice up until the 4 year old point, the second one very recently, so I'd say 2 years for a heavyweight with interim (fairly simple) maintenance.

Correct there is slight movement in them even when all new (we even tried the new 08's at Hawkstone and they had minor play) so if it's designed like that it doesn't matter to me, you don't feel it when riding.

I think the summary is, like most have already said, you gotta try both and see what you like. Neither of them are a dog.