Mpg, Mpd Vs Mpl, Mpp

copemech

This recent article I seen on the MSN was talking about how folk relate to the MPG (miles per gallon) figures on US vehicles, and do not relate it to actual dollars!

Makes me wonder what the comparison is with the euro vans and such, which are popular as it seems, of which we have few. Only the Sprinter(Merc) comes to mind, and they can be huge, depending upon configuration. I have not seen and cannot really relate to some of the others talked about here. Diesel or gas, what do you run? What does it cost?

As the PU truck is still the standard here, and I feel somewhat fortunate as things go, to be able to load bike and gear into the big Dodge Cummins powered turbodiesel and make a trip to our local riding area some 100 miles away, and achieve better than 21 mpg, which translates into about 7 miles per dollar! I suppose if sharing a ride, we could fit 2 bikes and gear in full comfort no problem, for a 2 day trip as we have done it. Three riders and bikes are possible in a crunch, but forget the spares lockers, basics only!

Anyway, at 7 miles per dollar, how does that compare? :rolleyes:

Just to confirm what Dabster said, I get approx 3 miles /dollar from a mid size diesel 'euro van' -a Mercedes Vito, so if that was equated to US fuel costs would get you approximately 10 or 11 miles, & based on the Cummins engined Dodge pick-up truck I hired last time I was in Canada, any of the current crop of euro vans would get you to your destination quicker, quieter and in more comfort.

I guess the message is -dump your 7 litre gas guzzler and get a 2.2 litre 'euro van'

Hey Cope,

Biff can back me up on this, The WGASA Ford extended cab 8 ft bed has had 4 bikes, 4 riders, 4 full sets of gear, 2 gas cans, Tool box, and 4 changes of clothes. For a 1 day 220 miles (one way) trip to ride at a TI event. What a beauty of a day that was.

Side note one of the bikes was a cub, another was a TLR200 Reflex (full lights)

You can fit much more in that Dodge, just get creative. :rolleyes:

Don't want to get all "Top Geary" over this, but one of the more bewildering observations, 2 identical (Euro) motors, one in US and one in UK, the UK MPG is around 50% more efficient ? What's all that about ... Conspiracy Theory !!! Oil is King

Cynical Posted Today, 08:55 AM

Don't want to get all "Top Geary" over this, but one of the more bewildering observations, 2 identical (Euro) motors, one in US and one in UK, the UK MPG is around 50% more efficient ? What's all that about ... Conspiracy Theory !!! Oil is King

Is it possible that there are different emission standards?

Hey Cope,

Biff can back me up on this, The WGASA Ford extended cab 8 ft bed has had 4 bikes, 4 riders, 4 full sets of gear, 2 gas cans, Tool box, and 4 changes of clothes. For a 1 day 220 miles (one way) trip to ride at a TI event. What a beauty of a day that was.

Side note one of the bikes was a cub, another was a TLR200 Reflex (full lights)

You can fit much more in that Dodge, just get creative. :unsure:

Zipper, you have to understand, it gets really hot here and a large beer cooler is a must!

And bikes have to go a bit slanted in the short bed trucks. Of course I could use the hitch rack! :rolleyes:

copemech Posted Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Zipper, you have to understand, it gets really hot here and a large beer cooler is a must!

Well, that makes alot of sense. But one more question............Now that you mention the beer cooler how in the heck do you find room to put even 1 bike? :beer:

Edited by ZIPPY

So what sort of van is it Dabster has?

And I suppose the Vito is smaller than the Sprinter? The new Sprinter here runs a 3.0 V-6 diesel, but all the older ones have the straight 5 motor.

And exactly what are the prices for fuel in UK?

Its a vw diesel 5 cylinder (think all the 5 cyl are vw motors?) the sprinter is the same as a vw crafter up to double the size of a vito.

When I was last in the states there was a chevy van very similar in size.

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/ pictures not to scale but gives an idea.

Simlar to this(?) but not in prices post-7-1202541956.jpg

• 2 weeks later...