Cracked 4rt Crankcase B******s!

the addict

Been a bit unlucky with this one, a small stone got wedged through the holes in the bash plate and when the bike bellied out on a pillar section we had going caused a small crack in the bottom of the cranckcase. Its not leaking very much, just a small bleed but needs sorting. Anyone got any ideas of how to seal it up without welding as its quite near the gasket and I really dont fancy splitting the engine :beer:

The 4rt gets pretty hot on the cases so a heat resistant filler maybe the answer, seems theres not much pressure in the case where its split else it would have spurted out fairish.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Been a bit unlucky with this one, a small stone got wedged through the holes in the bash plate and when the bike bellied out on a pillar section we had going caused a small crack in the bottom of the cranckcase. Its not leaking very much, just a small bleed but needs sorting. Anyone got any ideas of how to seal it up without welding as its quite near the gasket and I really dont fancy splitting the engine :beer:

The 4rt gets pretty hot on the cases so a heat resistant filler maybe the answer, seems theres not much pressure in the case where its split else it would have spurted out fairish.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

hi there you could try some chemical metal ( i can here people cringing allready!!) it's worth trying, and you have got nothing to lose if it dont work. just depend's on wether you would be happy with a temporary repair.

you could try with some epoxy and fiber. Just sand the place you want to repair first and clean it very good before epoxy. I repaired an 911 exhaust with the stuff while on holiday and it,s still good and this was two years ago! and that exhaust gets very hot believe me. In the states they have a product called JB weld used to repair alu but i never found it in Europe.

Good luck,

Thanks for the replies lads :beer: just been down Patels Motorists Discount Centre and come back with a few fixes :crying: First up is the J-B Weld,yes you can get it in the UK EdHolland, good shout mate, also got Thermo Steel for exhaust mainifolds etc,Leak Fix and QuikSteel Epoxy paste. Mr Patel recons all four will stick like **** to a Japati so fingers crossed for tomorrow

Thanks again

Edited by The Addict

I have used JB weld on similar applications and it is amazing stuff.

The only trouble is if you are trying to do it without stripping the engine you have to make sure there is absolutely no oil leaking through whilst it is being applied / setting. I don't think any product will stick metal to oil!

I have used JB weld on similar applications and it is amazing stuff.

The only trouble is if you are trying to do it without stripping the engine you have to make sure there is absolutely no oil leaking through whilst it is being applied / setting. I don't think any product will stick metal to oil!

Perce or Ishy will probably chime in with the correct story but I'm sure big Odus put a hole in a 4rt casing in the 05 SSDT - I don't think there was much oil left by the time he noticed so he used some liquid metal and scrounged some oil off the Army lads :beer:

There is a company that makes a sealer for such purposes but I cannot recall the name. Basically a vacume is applied and the crack cleaned with solvent such as brake cleaner, sucking it through to flush it, then the sealer is sucked into the crack to seal it!

I suppose you could use super glue to perform the task, at least it would give some void filling prior to covering with epoxy?

Just a thought! (no pun intended)! :beer:

I bent a radiator on a 2001 WR250F on it's maiden voyage. It cracked on the top tank where the flues attach. I cleaned it, sanded, then heated it and applied "Epoxo88". I sold it three years later still holding. It was in last summer for a tune up and STILL HOLDING.

I also reccomend "Marine Tex" for aluminum case repair.

Thanks for all the replies and help :rolleyes: we made a repair on site using Araldite when it got busted ,turned the bike upside down and smoothed over the area. It survived Hawks Nest like that even though it took a fair bashing most of the day including a couple of big offs and bike cuddling at the bottom of one of the big boulders. No leaks at all but I think I will get it sorted with one of the suggested compounds in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again

Just

ahh why didnt you say you had fixed her on site in your original post?

there is a 3m product which is probably the best on the market at the moment,i know my mate has used it on diggers dumpers tractors etc with no bother,not sure of the name,some sort of epoxy i guess though!

better than jb weld and all the others apparently

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...