Bash-plate Rubbers

andat

Help!!! Tried to change the gearbox oil on my 07 SY250R yesterday and the sump-plug has rounded off and now I can't shift it :beer: . Any ideas on how to overcome will be much appreciated.

hi mate i ve done it before get a smaller fit on it and be careful and just a tip use a good quality spanner/ratchet, or use a hammer screwdriver but be very careful with this method and change the sump plug for a tyz one they cost a

you need a socket thats slightly smaller than the original size, the best way is usually to use an imperial socket thats inbetween the two metric sizes, gently tap it on with a hammer and turn it with a ratchet.

once its out put the socket upside down tight in a vice and knock the old sump bolt out of your socket using a punch or an old screwdriver.

Tom

Chances are you re-installed a Magnetic Drain Plug, and forgot to put a washer, or it was just too long. It's probably rammed into the shift drum. I did this on my 2002 YZ250, which I'll assume has a very simelar engine layout.

Just get it out, and see if it shifts. If it does, make sure next time that your stock drain plug is longer than any magnetic one you choose, if you choose to go with Magnetic.

Good luck, and hopefully you didn't bend anything!

Jon

If none of the above work, or the flats are too damaged, very carefully drift the edge round to loosen it and obviously replace.

I sourced a bolt/screw for a few pence from a local fixings company and just cut it to the correct length.

Had the same problem with my Scorpa. Could not move it even with Mole Grips. In the end i had the bike on its side, took the largest nut i could find that would sit on the drain plug and used my mig welder to weld the two together. Just filled up the center of the nut with weld. Socket on the adjoined nut whilst still hot and out she came. New plug from Birkett, and no problem since.

Have you tried using a set of Vice Grip pliers? These will bite into the metal and twist the bolt loose. Another approach is to use a small grinding wheel and re surface the bolt flats.

Good luck

DFW

Tried this, but it just seemed to make the rounding on the bolt head worse. There isn't a lot of space to get the molegrips in. I might try the grinding wheel (Dremmel) if the undersize socket approach doesn't work. Thanks anyway.

Had the same problem with my Scorpa. Could not move it even with Mole Grips. In the end i had the bike on its side, took the largest nut i could find that would sit on the drain plug and used my mig welder to weld the two together. Just filled up the center of the nut with weld. Socket on the adjoined nut whilst still hot and out she came. New plug from Birkett, and no problem since.

Braver man than me...If all else fails I'll take to a dealer and avert heartache!!!! Thanks anyway Somerset Steve.

Some sockets have a bit on them that doesn't actually do anything, ie; the first few millimetres. Try grinding this part off so it bites the full length of the bolt. I probably have one done already if your stuck. Also as has already been stated use a non metric socket to get a tight fit. Ring me if you want it doing.

If you use the welding method just make sure to disconnect your ignition module and that the ground does not go through any bearings i.e. don't hook the ground to your kick stand or counter-shaft sprocket. It would be better if you could ground directly to the plug using something like a smaller pair of needle nose Mole Grips

Cheers

DFW

post-304-1202941646.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

andat,

Do you have the flat bash plate? If you do, you might consider elongating the access hole with a die grinder. This will allow a straight shot at the drain plug. It will help keep the hex head from rounding off when you use a socket wrench to loosen or tighten the plug.

Ciao

DFW