Newbie With 03 280txt And Questions

jlc

Hi,

Back to trials after 30yrs and just bought a 03 280txt. So far my research has told me that 03 was the year that Gas Gas first introduced the pro model and my bike is basically a 01 280txt?? I am having a blast with it so far but I didn't get a manual so I have some questions:

High octane (race fuel) needed? Unleaded or leaded?

Premix ratio? I am currently running Motul 800 in my Ktm off road bike and would like to use it in the 280 as well.

Tire pressures?

Fork oil wt and height. I have one leaky fork seal and the wipers are dry and cracked so I will taking them apart soon.

Sag settings?

Thanks in advance for any and all information about my new-to-me bike.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Welcome back to trial riding.

The PRO model was released for 2002, is your bike an Edition model? The motor would then have a separate round clutch cover approx 160mm diameter.

Riders use pre-mix anywhere from 50:1 to 80:1, I've always gone with 50:1 without any problems.

Tyre pressures, 3.5 psi rear, 5 psi front, cold pressures.

Fork oil 5 weight, approx 280ml per leg, there is a height measurement, have a look on the Gas Gas USA website, stacks of bril info.

Sag settings - well on the rear shock I usually have approx 15mm sag.

Bye, PeterB.

Riders use pre-mix anywhere from 50:1 to 80:1, I've always gone with 50:1 without any problems.

Hope you took part in the POLL Peter ? Us richer mixers are being whipped by the 80:1 boys ! :rolleyes:

Opps ! Sorry Jay :wall:

Very rude of me to butt in on your intro..... Welcome :banana2:

I'm on my 4th 280 and they've all served me well. Have fun :D

GJ :D

Hi GJ,

Thanks for putting the link in, all filled out for 50:1 and super petrol. Years ago, some well informed guy out this way advised he had seen research on 2T fuel/oil mix and concluded that the max ratio was approx 63:1 for efficient lubrication on a 2T motor. Anything less could lead to trouble. I'm a bit old fashioned in this respect and I like to be sure I have plenty of lube for my motor, at 50:1 there hasn't been any plug fouling problem over the last 25 years or so. I'd tend to stay with more, rather than less oil in the fuel.

Bye, Peter.

Hi GJ,

Thanks for putting the link in, all filled out for 50:1 and super petrol. Years ago, some well informed guy out this way advised he had seen research on 2T fuel/oil mix and concluded that the max ratio was approx 63:1 for efficient lubrication on a 2T motor. Anything less could lead to trouble. I'm a bit old fashioned in this respect and I like to be sure I have plenty of lube for my motor, at 50:1 there hasn't been any plug fouling problem over the last 25 years or so. I'd tend to stay with more, rather than less oil in the fuel.

Bye, Peter.

No worries Peter, I'm trying to hit 100 votes to make it (sort of) statistical ? Spread the word.

Like yourself, I'm old school and use 50:1 with mineral oil and 60:1 with fully synthetic (reasoning? synthetic is more expensive so if I use 60:1 I get 1 free bottle for every 10 I buy) ! Scots through and through and of course I'm not being serious.

There are many reasons why people chose their prefered ratios I suppose but I'll stick with mine, it works for me.

Hope the weathers nice in NZ, it's tropical up here in Jockland !

GJ :banana2:

Hi GJ,

It's summer here, bit warmer than up your way. We've had a bril summer, been well over 20C for the past 8 weeks or so, in fact, too hot for riding. Started to cool a little now which is a good thing as we are trying to get one of our lads (ex Cumbria rider) ready for the Scottish - a proper trial! Practising every weekend and into the gym most nights, wet rocks, dry rocks and more rocks, all sections uphill.

Ta ta, PeterB.