Acu Hand Book

coldcake

Can't answer why you would get one if you ask for another, but I would say the reason for sending it out is 'unofficially' an 4rse covering exercise. When one of us (organisers) ends up in court prosecuted by a rider who wasn't aware of the rules or regulations, he's only got himself to blame. The ACU has made every effort to make the rules/safety guidelines etc as available as they can.

If the ACU make no effort to get the rules and regs out there they're already on a back foot.

I'm sure this could be worded better but that's my take on it and I think you've got to agree that the rules need to be out there in as many forms as possible. Few enough people know them already.

Edited by bikespace

It's not an unofficial a***-covering exercise, it is an official a***-covering necessity!

Everyone who signs the declaration for an event is deemed to have had access to the handbook whether that be in cd or paperback format!

Big John

Edited by Big John

When one of us (organisers) ends up in court prosecuted by a rider who wasn't aware of the rules or regulations, he's only got himself to blame. The ACU has made every effort to make the rules/safety guidelines etc as available as they can.

To be honest, I doubt that the current setup would work in court. We once employed some ar$ehole who signed and dated his employment contract and then took us to an employment tribunal (we had dismissed him for being drunk at work). The tribunal awarded him the 'win' because we couldn't prove that he had been given a copy of his contract! We even had a Royal Mail 'recorded delivery receipt that showed we had sent it to him. His lawyer argued that the envelope could of contained our Christmas card to him.

We now ask all employees to sign and date their contract and then they sign again to state that they have received a copy of the contract that they have just signed :banana2: ****ing bonkers if you ask me...

So, what's the chance of someone injuring themselves and saying "What ACU handbook? I've never received one in the post!"

But at least by signing to say they've read and understood the regulations, it's got to be better than having nothing.

True but I imagine a 'fee hungry, no win - no fee' compensation lawyer might find a hole or two in this method.

We have discussed all this before and I see no real point in going over it all again - an older post will give chapter and verse. Too often however a rider who gets a handbook through the letter box and does not think he needs it - seems only concerned with what he needs ( or thinks he needs) The fact is that the Organisers and the whole set up in general - ( which is all of us) - on advice given - and frankly common sense - are deemed to be better protected if a rider has a handbook containing the regulations/rules which he has signed up for - as well as written details of insurance cover ( which he has paid for) - as well as many other things that he - the rider is responsible for ( yes its not just the organiser who has responsibility - but also the rider when things go wrong) - which again he has signed up to ( NSC etc).

The rider has signed to much of this - including the Environmental Code - which will be quite handy in future I assure you to be able to wave a handbook at those who will be using the environmental issues in the near future to try to stop us.

If the inconvenienec for all this is that a postman has to drop it through your letter box - and you actually have to bend down to pick it up - I apologise with all my heart.

If you have asked for a CD - and are getting Handbooks - this is a cock up - and there is no excuse - I will try to find out what has happened - but as I have said before - the books/CD are not sent out from ACU - it is part of the contract as far as I am aware with printer/mailing house/supplier - BUT - it must be a waste of money somewhere and I will try to investigate.

Re - Red and Blue markers - Of course this is a typo - and in a Handbook this size these will occur and while they should have been picked up in draft reading - they have not - mistake obviously but these things do happen. Not sure about the logic that if there is a mistake - and there will be quite a few , that this in some way a justification for not having a handbook - but it is a mistake and should have been picked up.

Thank you all for your points on this subject.

If nothing else it has tought me something, never bend over to pick up the letters from floormat until the ACU book has landed,that's some lump you'll have on the back of your head.

Next year CD not for me.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I doubt that the current setup would work in court. We once employed some ar$ehole who signed and dated his employment contract and then took us to an employment tribunal (we had dismissed him for being drunk at work). The tribunal awarded him the 'win' because we couldn't prove that he had been given a copy of his contract! We even had a Royal Mail 'recorded delivery receipt that showed we had sent it to him. His lawyer argued that the envelope could of contained our Christmas card to him.

We now ask all employees to sign and date their contract and then they sign again to state that they have received a copy of the contract that they have just signed ;) ****ing bonkers if you ask me...

So, what's the chance of someone injuring themselves and saying "What ACU handbook? I've never received one in the post!"

your right of course - if the reason that we all get a handbook is to officially cover 4rses then they are wasting their time. However if the reason is to keep riders informed on the current regulations and requirements of the sport then they succeed.

In scotland we are still waiting for a handbook and to my knowledge we dont get the choice of a cd. - if we did could this save the SACU