2009 World Round

phb

Hot news Graham Jarvis has been awarded a licence to promote a world round in 2009 around the Penrith area on the 17th of may 2009 this is supposedly a press release from the FIM i really hope that Graham can pull this off as the last few years at Hawkstone have been good and its a shame that there isn't one on the main land this year

theres a bit more info on bradfordtrials.co.uk but im sure there will be more news in other places on the web

Edited by PHB

Here is the brief I recieved this morning

The Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme

The governing body of world motorcycle trials sport, the F.I.M. announced today from their Geneva base that Graham Jarvis, current British Trials Champion, has been awarded a licence to promote the British round of the World Motorcycle Trials Championship on May 17 at a venue between Penrith and Carlisle. The event will run over a three day period one week after the Scottish Six Days Trial at Fort William. The date will mean that competitors for the event will travel from Fort William and travel south via the M6 motorway to the world trial.

end

• 2 weeks later...

how come this hasn't been front page news, would have thought it was a pretty big story myself? when the world round came back to hawkstone 3 years ago the whole of trials central seemed to go barmy over it. is it because L&M arent promoting it?

how come this hasn't been front page news, would have thought it was a pretty big story myself? when the world round came back to hawkstone 3 years ago the whole of trials central seemed to go barmy over it. is it because L&M arent promoting it?

Exactly.

L and M events (unrelated to TC) do a really good job of promoting their events, Rathmell/Jarvis as I understand it has never advertised on this site neither have dirttrax. Sonia I think used to post intermitterntly a few bits but this was for maybe ayear a good while back.

As an aside as john collins explains on another thread, did you read that(?) it is very very early days.

The venue is not "homologated" yet.

Dabster is pretty much right in his comments (We'll let him off with getting the Rathmell lass wrong. It's Carly who does the promo stuff, not Sonia!) ;)

However to say it is not "front page news" is totally wrong. It was, and still is. Rappers pretty much dedicated his column to it last week and there has been extensive follow-up and discussion on it in the relevant forum - which makes me think you're a Cumbrian plant on behalf of the promoter :)

I'm absolutely not adverse to a UK World round in 2009. TC exists to promote the sport, but I do feel we're jumping the gun somewhat. The FIM have said "UK or France" in their press release and the venue still has to pass homologation. I know that's very tough due to the excessive demands made by the factories so it might not even happen. The costs in providing generators alone would scare you senseless... There have also been no press releases by the promoter that I've seen. I don't have time to chase news.

As far as it not being L&M goes - I will say that I enjoyed an excellent and professional relationship with L&M during their three years of UK World rounds. I provided them with extensive promotion and they, in return, allowed Trials Central section sponsorship at Hawkstone and provided the marquee, fencing and security etc for our Trials Central get-togethers. No money changed hands, but it was a fantastic working relationship that continued to grow over three years.

I have advised the promoter of this proposed event that it is way too early to think about these things, but if everything goes to their plans and they want to put a formal promotional deal in place with Trials Central then we can look at that nearer the time. I do hope it happens, but think it's too early to be jumping up and down about it.

don't worry i'm not a plant for the promoter! i have pretty much nothing to do with trials nowadays, i just thought it was a bit strange there hadn't been much fuss made over the possible world round. but i suppose like you say its a long time off. i hope it comes off though, save the cumbrian folk a long journey to watch the worlds best in action!! :)