New To 4rt

scott_king

Hi all

Just got my hands on a 05 4rt in excellent condition. A retired guy had it from new and only used it once or twice a year and he part exchanged it for a new one. I have not had a chance to really ride it yet but I wanted to ask a few questions asked before I compete on it.

1) What are the recommended modifications and parts done to the bike to make it better?

2) What is the best technique to make it start in gear or make finding neutral easier?

3) What is the most effective way to ride the bike? What is the best riding technique?

Thanks in advance for the answers

Scott

1) Apart from an awful clutch there isn't really much to improve, it's a perfectly capable bike that will outperform most riders in standard form. Rear suspension is about the best there is and the bike has more than enough power for 95% of us. It's been said it's too heavy but the most effective weight loss would be from us riders not the bike.... It's not too heavy. Can be a bit erratic finding grip on them in good old Midlands slop but very good over rocks. I never liked the high tickover speed but there is nothing you can do about that. In standard form the power delivery was sharper than I'd like and the only way to alter that is by mapping but I'd ride it stock before you get into that as it may suit you fine the way it is. Any other changes are purely personal preference really

2) best advice on this point is don't try and start it in gear. The clutch doesn't free off fully and causes a certain amount of drag on the crank when kick starting in gear - put the bike in gear and try and push it with the clutch in and engine off if you want to see how much drag. The drag means that the engine may not fire properly if starting in gear and this can cause it to kick back. To many kick backs, or just one if you're unlucky, can smash the crankcase where the kickstart return stop plate is bolted behind the clutch. This is a fragile area. If I were you I'd only kick it in neutral.

No matter what oil you use it will probably always be hard to find neutral with the engine running, my 05 was. It was also hard to find with the engine off sometimes.... Mitani clutch plates may improve things or maybe a clutch from a later bike which are supposed to be better but I have no experience of either. I have however, experienced the smashed crankcase.

3) Just ride it and make your own mind up. My personal opinion is that the dramatically changing your riding style stuff for a 2-stroke or 4-stroke is way overstated. I constantly swap between 2 and 4 stroke and it isn't a problem. I know other people who've done the same for years and it's never been a problem. It only seemed to become an issue when the 4RT was introduced, it never merited such discussion before but that's just my opinion. There are plenty of people on the Pre65 scene who regularly ride a 4-stroke one week and a 2-stroke the next, both equally as well - not a problem

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am going to ride the bike and see how bad the clutch is however my dealer said something about the clutch so it may have already had the modification. If it has not what is the best route to go; 315r master cylinder or mitani clutch plates?

How do I reset the throttle sensor? Should I do this after I crash or stall to make restarting easier?

I am now a bit worried about the kickstart return. It is probably fine but just before I do any damage are there any signs that it is broken?

Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks in advance

Scott :rotfl:

quote (I am now a bit worried about the kickstart return. It is probably fine but just before I do any damage are there any signs that it is broken?}

i have had possibly 15 4rts since the begining in 05 , never had one go ,dont believe the hype!!