Kick Start Broken Inside!

angusgill

Yesterday was riding all day i stopped for a breather and as i went to start my bike, i jumped on the kick starter and something snapped in side now it sort of spins!!!!! i was wondering where i could get it fixed nr Shaftesbury Dorset by the 9th? I know a guy who MIGHT be able to fix it. And how expensive would it be from what i gather mechanic's charge from about 20 pounds an hour up!

It sounds that the most likley problem is that the return spring on the kickstart shaft has broken and the kickstart wont return

if as you say it spins without any resistance it could be that the actual shaft is broken

easy to see what it is just lay the bike over and remove the clutch casing and you will know soon enough

Sounds like you broke the kickstart gear itself - these can break on pro's if you slap at the kickstarter when kicking. To avoid this, You should press down on the kickstarter until you feel solid resistance and then kick through - otherwise you can break the small engagement teeth on the KS gear - will take a good GG mechanic less than 1 hour to repair. Dont need to drain the coolant or the top hat on the clutch - just pull off entire cover as a unit and hang to the side. Some folks like to tape the top hat in place so air dosent get in while servicing. As I remember, Will have to remove the clutch - might as well check it out while abart. Getting the return spring back in properly is alittle tricky. Make sure you get all the pieces from the broken gear. Also - keep the order of the cover bolts in mind - they are different lenghts.

Never had a problem when properly kicked - but need to be aware of issue.

Trebor

If your not a mechanic, or don't feel confident enough, don't attempt to try the repair. You'll end up having to take it to a proffessional and you'll probably be 'fined' for your incompidence. The moral of this incident, will be, to treat the machine, with the respect it deserves and as previously written 'be gentle with the kickstart' ...expect to meet BIG BILL !!! The latest price structure, as far as I can remember is

Edited by ask greeves

I forgot to add - I DONT recommend laying the bike over at 1st. You want to make ABSOLUTELY sure any possible broken bits stay out of the tranny. Drain the fluid and take the case cover off with the bike in the verticle position so nothing can get in the tranny threw the hole that is above and behind the KS shaft. This is a fairly quick job for a good GG mechanic and wont' be a ton of money. Personally, if your not an experienced mechanic - it may be best to take it to one and pay the higher rate to watch and learn. There pretty simple to work on, but there are some tricks of the trade to learn.

Sounds like you broke the kickstart gear itself - these can break on pro's if you slap at the kickstarter when kicking. To avoid this, You should press down on the kickstarter until you feel solid resistance and then kick through - otherwise you can break the small engagement teeth on the KS gear - will take a good GG mechanic less than 1 hour to repair. Dont need to drain the coolant or the top hat on the clutch - just pull off entire cover as a unit and hang to the side. Some folks like to tape the top hat in place so air dosent get in while servicing. As I remember, Will have to remove the clutch - might as well check it out while abart. Getting the return spring back in properly is alittle tricky. Make sure you get all the pieces from the broken gear. Also - keep the order of the cover bolts in mind - they are different lenghts.

Never had a problem when properly kicked - but need to be aware of issue.

Trebor

Good advice. I've found this a problem on a lot of Trials bikes. We kickstart them probably 30-40 times a day at a Trial and the racheting mechanism can take a real beating getting slammed that many times. GasGas has an updated Pro racheting mechanism that just came out with the spiral grooves cut at an increased angle so the lever locks at a much sooner point in the arc. The gear and shaft are sold as a matched set, part # MT280226002R. TrialsPartsUSA website has some good info (including tips on the gear/shaft installation) at: http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Pro...2013%202008.doc . It's also on their website under "tech" and is the updated GasGas Pro technical bulletin.

Jon

I know this won't make you feel any better but here's a little starting story. A couple of years ago a friend of a friend wanted to try a bike I had for sale. He's standing over the bike assuring me he knows how to ride when he puts his foot on the lever, jumps up and stomps down on it. The rest of us were all staring at him in obvious shock. When I recovered enough to ask him what he was doing he looked at me with a "well duh!" expression and says , "I'm trying to start it!" I think he finally figured out something was wrong when we all started howling with laughter and asked, "WITH THE SHIFTER?"

Amazingly the bike was fine.

He didn't buy it.