Rear Link Bearings

bowellsyboy

Have finally got round to doing my 99 txt gasser up. :) The back end had loads of play so have decided to do the bearings. Have been told to just do the dog bone bearings so have ordered them, but, looking at all the other links, they dont look to good either. Shall i just replace just the dog bone bearings or all of them. Could anyone also tell me excactly what bearings i will need?

Forgot to mention the other night Mal that bearing shops arent ALLWAYS cheaper than buying the bearings from trials shops. I've been surprised a few times that the original part from a trials shop was only slightly more than at the local bearing shop.

Hopefully someone will know the correct sizes for all the bearings you need...or MAYBE it can be found in a Gas Gas manual??

See ya

STU

Have finally got round to doing my 99 txt gasser up. :) The back end had loads of play so have decided to do the bearings. Have been told to just do the dog bone bearings so have ordered them, but, looking at all the other links, they dont look to good either. Shall i just replace just the dog bone bearings or all of them. Could anyone also tell me excactly what bearings i will need?

Probably better to get a set from your dealer, I'm not sure what size they are. I think there are two types, one with separate seals on the outside and a longer bearing with the seals as part of the bearing. Don't forget to lube that set inside the lower front part of the swingarm, a lot of riders forget that one. It has mushroom shaped bushings so don't try to drive them both out from one side, use a sharp drift to catch the groove where they meet inside the swingarm and drive one side out at a time.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Have got the bearings, knocked the old ones out of the dog bone piece, but am having real problems getting the seals in. The needle bearings have gone in easily and the bush, but i cant get the seals in on the outside of the bearing. Ive tryed tapping them in with a hammer and piece of metal that is the same size so i am pushing evenly all the way around, but the edge doesnt go in and just turns up, therefore warping the seal and wrecking it. Has anyone got any pointers on what is the best way to get them in i would be really gratefull.

Hi,you could try to pull the seals in by using a length of stud and a couple of nuts,put one nut on end of the stud,push it through the dog bone,put the seal on the face of where it is to go in,place something like a socket over the stud which will contact the OD of the seal,place the nut on the end of the stud and tighten it up to pull the seal into the dogbone.Hope you get my drift.

Andy.

Try 'borrowing' one of the mushroom or top-hat shaped bushings that fit into the bearings on the underside of the swinging arm and use this to push in the seal by gently squashing the whole assembly in a vice. If its all nice and greasy the seal should slip into the dog-bone without any problem. Hope this helps :hyper:

Dog bone bearings are really pretty easy to replace. Simply put the dog bone between the jaws of a bench vice with a socket the same size as the bearing on one side (I think it might have been a 13 or 14 mm) and a larger size socket (might have been a 17mm) on the other. Close the vice and the smaller socket will push the bearing out of the dog bone and into the larger socket. Then use the vice to push the new bearing back into the dog bone. Works just like a press. Make sure you put some anti-sieze on the outside of the bearings to help them slide in easier which will also ensure they come out easier next time.

Edited by Ridgrunr

Always amazed me how much profit there is on bearings.

They literally cost pence to the bearing shops, and are marked up by about 1000 percent.

I would imagine that the dealers are not getting the massively discounted prices, but dunno for sure?

About time we found a way in to the suppliers for the trials/motorcycle world? I don't care so much if the trials dealers are marking them up, but rather see the profit stay in trials.

Totally agree Gaz.

I still cant get my head around how much I pay for even wheel bearings here (6004 is such a common one too!) compared to what I used to pay in Hong Kong, for exactly the same brand of bearing.

I wont even say how much..it'll make you all weep!

Totally agree Gaz.

I still cant get my head around how much I pay for even wheel bearings here (6004 is such a common one too!) compared to what I used to pay in Hong Kong, for exactly the same brand of bearing.

I wont even say how much..it'll make you all weep!

We can usually get bearings like the 6004RS in most bearing shops here in the U.S., but they often cost more than GasGas dealer retail list. What I can't figure out is fork seals, which are unavailable from what I can find out, in any regular bearing/seal shop, even though they are standard Metric double-lip types.

Jon