Knee Brace

rob140

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had both acl's replaced this year and I train hard and want to rely on muscle strength only, but I can't I've worn a donjoy on my right leg for years. I'm getting both legs fitted for new ones and I won't rely on the braces but they will be on all the same until I feel 110% . Thanks Bill for the comment about ham curls, should I back off of them or just quit them,I do squats? My email is pjbolen@yahoo.com

I have had both acl's replaced this year and I train hard and want to rely on muscle strength only, but I can't I've worn a donjoy on my right leg for years. I'm getting both legs fitted for new ones and I won't rely on the braces but they will be on all the same until I feel 110% . Thanks Bill for the comment about ham curls, should I back off of them or just quit them,I do squats? My email is pjbolen@yahoo.com

Have sent you an email about it, hope it helps.

Great topic! I've twisted both knees in the recent past, don't know what bits I've damaged but it's taken a few months to get any where near OK. With hind sight I'd rather have trained the relavent muscles to give more support. What training is best for this?

Great topic! I've twisted both knees in the recent past, don't know what bits I've damaged but it's taken a few months to get any where near OK. With hind sight I'd rather have trained the relavent muscles to give more support. What training is best for this?

Exercises are closer to real world activity are going to help a great deal more than machines which will increase strength but not function.These movements include squats, and lateral and diagonal squats. Your physician/physio can help you with these exercises (maybe). After mastering these, try single leg work. These include static squats (often called stationary lunges), and full lunges. If you are successful at maintaining good form with these, you may try diagonal lunges, and one-leg partial squats. When your muscles, tendons, and ligaments are strong enough, its wise to attempt to balance on one leg as the act of walking is a single leg activity for a big % of the activity. Then close your eyes and continue. Find a balance board or wobble board to activate stabilizer muscles and work on the righting and tilting reflexes which is handy for trials.

My coach Paul Chek made this one of the foundations of rehab. Paul speaks the body's reflexes, the righting reflex is activated when the body is moving across a stable surface. If you were riding across a camber, you would adjust or "right" your position (hopefully).

Tilting reflex is when moving across unstable surfaces. For example when you slip while walking a section or while attempting to get on the moving walkways at the airport. Unfortunately, most gym equipment is in a fixed position, so that the tilting reflex is never engaged and as we all know Trials strength and conditioning is all about balance.

Its often stated that 80-90% of ALL orthopedic injuries could be avoided by developing the tilting reflex, and the other 10-20% in my opinion by having fully functional/coordinating abdominals.

When you train, think of ways that you can make your workout unstable. Have a trainer show you how to do some functional training while stood up, no use sitting on a machine strengthening your leg when you need it to work while walking etc. Perform certain weight training exercises while standing on one foot.

Edited by billycraig

Exercises are closer to real world activity are going to help a great deal more than machines which will increase strength but not function.

i know this thread has changed a little from the initial question, the above comment is on the mark. anything you can do to exercise close to real world in a controlled fashion will benenfit much more. i've had 7 left knee operations of various kinds over the last 30 years and lots of experience with doing many different sporting activities in that time on a bad knee. small things i do may help:

1. always warm up

2. always stretch after warming up

3. ensure you remain stretched out during the day

4. always ice after riding, pain or no pain to limit any potential inflammation, inflammation of course is your enemy!

5. don't over use, take days off to heal, stretch ever day regardless

6. braces are a stop gap measure, get rid as soon as you can

7. my bible for knees, i like the Home Care and Prevention pages link

cheers

After numerous ACL/ MCL tears and associated moderate instability in both knees that I have managed to tolerate for many years, all I can tell you is that I believe braces, even the very inexpensive ones, are cheap insurance and prevention for recurrent injuries.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and for those that have had the repairs done, I doubt they will ever be quite the same in many cases. Plus side is they keep your legs and joints warm in the winter! :D

• 5 months later...

I've been in a lot of pain recently with my knee and this past weekend has been agony so I called in for an x-ray this morning. The bones are fine but flexion isn't 100% which I reckon is medical speak for 'Your knee is a bit wobbly'. I wouldn't mind so much but this is my good leg...

I was given 2 painkillers (didn't work at all), an anti-inflammatory something or other and a pair of crutches (arm pump kicked in after 300 yards)

They said that if it doesn't ease up in a week then I have to go to my GP to book an imaging scan of the cartilege and ligaments. The scan will probably confirm that I've got chronic arthritis so it looks like I might be hanging my boots up for a good while yet :thumbup:

Has anyone had an arthritic knee repaired?

I've been in a lot of pain recently with my knee and this past weekend has been agony so I called in for an x-ray this morning. The bones are fine but flexion isn't 100% which I reckon is medical speak for 'Your knee is a bit wobbly'. I wouldn't mind so much but this is my good leg...

I was given 2 painkillers (didn't work at all), an anti-inflammatory something or other and a pair of crutches (arm pump kicked in after 300 yards)

They said that if it doesn't ease up in a week then I have to go to my GP to book an imaging scan of the cartilege and ligaments. The scan will probably confirm that I've got chronic arthritis so it looks like I might be hanging my boots up for a good while yet :thumbup:

Has anyone had an arthritic knee repaired?

You can have my notes that i use for my clients if you their any use to you?

I am right in the middle of having my knee repaired. One surgery down and one to go(hopefully) I had what my Dr called a "catastrophic" injury to my knee. I tore my ACL,MCL and Meniscus.

Since my injury I have been looking into knee braces for when I get back into riding.. Some of the best Doc's have mixed feeling about them. Even MX Doc's.

On Tumpertalk there is quite a bit of discssion about this. Dr.Mark seems to be very much against them. This IMO doesnt mean he is corrcet but its his opinion.

Check out the forum and do a search for Knee Brace and see what pops up. Its interesting.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

With the brace you are trying to create intrinsic stability with extrinsic means, kind of like a weight belt for a bad back, its not the answer to the problem but from the point of view of confidence and the ability to train properly their more than worth their money. From my point of view the danger comes when a client decided to rely on the brace rather than attempting to rehabilitate themselves.

I'll gather my notes together for you.

With the brace you are trying to create intrinsic stability with extrinsic means, kind of like a weight belt for a bad back, its not the answer to the problem but from the point of view of confidence and the ability to train properly their more than worth their money. From my point of view the danger comes when a client decided to rely on the brace rather than attempting to rehabilitate themselves.

I'll gather my notes together for you.

That makes perfect sense...even with the cool sounding words.

Another problem I keep seeing with braces is the possibility of a broken femur. I know it can happen brace on or off though. Theres a study in the works right now on this subject.

I know for myself...unless I have a miraculous surgery and recovery, my knee feels very unstable. I dont feel as though I could ride without one. My Doc feels confident that I will be able to. I hope he is right.