Tlr 250r On Ebay - What's The Point?

t-shock 250

The bike is worth a small fortune ;) Should read the bike cost a small fortune. I wouldn't give him the price it cost to get the wheels done. It is a Jap home market trail bike at the end of the day, not the easiest to find parts for either. :D It's pants....

The bike is worth a small fortune ;) Should read the bike cost a small fortune. I wouldn't give him the price it cost to get the wheels done. It is a Jap home market trail bike at the end of the day, not the easiest to find parts for either. :D It's pants....

I have been looking for a good Honda for some time now, I am totally amazed at the price some of these machines 'go for', or should I say 'ask for' There are some good TLR's with RTL engines about but I am not sure how good this combination will be, on paper you should have the perfect twin shock bike, a smooth powerful engine in a bullet proof twin shock frame or am I wrong ???????

Or your could go for one of these----Is that really how much these things go for?-------- ;)

Ive seen these go for more in a far worse condition, at that price that's okay upper end of what I'd pay but okay.

Weird that someone thinks a tatty old air cooled mono is worth that sort of money!........................I guess he is right when he says he will probably be keeping it though................lol

Reading some of your posts on numerous threads majestyman I really wonder about you some times. Without doubt the RTL Hondas were some of the best trials bikes ever built, that tatty air cooled mono is an exceptional machine and with the base that's there it wouldn't be tatty for long. if you knew your stuff a bit better mate you'd know that.

Why do Honda's go for so much, simple really, they are some of the best bikes around, RTL's were exceptional, TLR's are still some of the most sought after twinshocks around and as for original Seeley's, sky's the limit. Perhaps the number of threads and posts in the Honda Forum might give that away.

Oh and yes if I had the spare folding stuff I'd seriously think about it.....

Edited by Slapshot 3

Guest majestyman340
Ive seen these go for more in a far worse condition, at that price that's okay upper end of what I'd pay but okay.

Reading some of your posts on numerous threads majestyman I really wonder about you some times. Without doubt the RTL Hondas were some of the best trials bikes ever built, that tatty air cooled mono is an exceptional machine and with the base that's there it wouldn't be tatty for long. if you knew your stuff a bit better mate you'd know that.

Why do Honda's go for so much, simple really, they are some of the best bikes around, RTL's were exceptional, TLR's are still some of the most sought after twinshocks around and as for original Seeley's, sky's the limit. Perhaps the number of threads and posts in the Honda Forum might give that away.

Oh and yes if I had the spare folding stuff I'd seriously think about it.....

The RTL when new wasnt really competitive against the much cheaper monoshock Yams, and this is something that is supported by the fact the mono Yam is still winning trials today, while most RTLs are languishing in collections, and very rarely used seriously.

The RTL when new wasnt really competitive against the much cheaper monoshock Yams, and this is something that is supported by the fact the mono Yam is still winning trials today, while most RTLs are languishing in collections, and very rarely used seriously.

The problem is that the RTLs are mostly owned by collectors, who own them for their rarety. The RTL was very expensive to begin with, almost twice the price of the two strokes, and Honda only made a couple hundred bikes per year. Today the problem for those using the bikes in competition, myself included, is the lack of spares. There are no original rear fenders or tank shelters left, the piston rings and cylinder gaskets are the same as the TLR250 so those you can get hold of but they are expensive. Luckily most of the parts in the engine is taken from other Honda engines so you can easily get hold of these, but often thaey are pricy. All these factors drives the price up and sadly some people are not willing to use a bike they paid so much money for.

I think the main problem for the RTL is that it feels very awkward the first time you ride it and it takes alot of time to get used to. This is mainly a chassis problem, the engine is brilliant, so much better than the TLRs. My dad had a RTL as his main bike for twelve years and rode it better than any other bike his ever had. The grip he could find on that bike was amazing, even snow and ice was no problem. But he says it took him 2-3 years to work out how to ride the bike. I think the RTL was ahead of its time in some ways, I don't think you could get much more out of a 2 valve four stroke at that time.

Now I have babbled enough...Just one more thing...For those of you that have a RTL, RIDE THE BL**DY BIKE, how else can you fully appreciate it?

Edited by Ludde

t-shock 250,

Well you spotted the odd man out! They were, like the Hondas, another overpriced machine. Had they been imported to the USA in 93 then they would have been twice the price of any of their rivals. The same engine went into the Scorpa for the last 15 years so I guess the motor can be considered a classic.

Taking up on the Honda points, both the TLM and the RTL inspire confidence immediately you get on them. The balance and "platform" feels just right and the performance from the motors is smooth and powerful when required. With regards to spares, yes I agree they are not always readily available, but if you know where to look they can be found. The fenders (mudguards) on these came from Japan and I had the tank shrouds reworked and painted locally. They may be a little outmoded against todays bikes but in my opinion they rate as "classics" of that era.

Tony

I have no prior knowledge of these bikes (I wasn't into trials when these Hondas were on the scene),I'm just surprised at todays prices ;)

How many wtc's did eddy lejeune win on a Honda???? How many Yamaha wins were there???? Think that pedigree speaks for itself