4rt Coughing

gizza5

Rode the Jack Wood a few weeks ago and about half way round the bike started to cough and not rev out, thought it might be water in one of the electrical terminal blocks?

Rode again today after taking removing all electrical terminals, drying etc. prior to this same symptons, 2 laps the bike started to cough and not rev out?

Not the plug as I tried several with the same symptons, if I let the bike cool down and started again, could do a couple of sections and same thing?

Now someone told me with those symptons that it could be the ignition coil giveing an intermiitant spark?

Could this be it or has anyone else come across this same problem? If so whats the cure?

Good job I'm not riding the SSDT :banana2: wouldn't make it to Bradilieg...............

You need another bike there when yours is hot & swap bits with it to find the cause. I once saw a 315 doing this & a swapping session soon found the problem which would only occur after the bike was warmed up.

Edited by PERCE

You need another bike there when yours is hot & swap bits with it to find the cause. I once saw a 315 doing this & a swapping session soon found the problem which would only occur after the bike was warmed up.

Good idea you volunteering, how about Monday night 5th May :banana2:

Is it when the fan cuts in?

I had a very similar problem with a rotax aprilia, whenever the fan started up it seemed to steal some power from the ignition circuit for some reason.

In the end I ended up wiring the fan into lighting circuit, that cured the problem.

Edited by TDM900

Rode the Jack Wood a few weeks ago and about half way round the bike started to cough and not rev out, thought it might be water in one of the electrical terminal blocks?

Rode again today after taking removing all electrical terminals, drying etc. prior to this same symptons, 2 laps the bike started to cough and not rev out?

Not the plug as I tried several with the same symptons, if I let the bike cool down and started again, could do a couple of sections and same thing?

Now someone told me with those symptons that it could be the ignition coil giveing an intermiitant spark?

Could this be it or has anyone else come across this same problem? If so whats the cure?

Good job I'm not riding the SSDT :rolleyes: wouldn't make it to Bradilieg...............

2006 4rt with a cough low down the revs

Edited by rapid roy

• 5 weeks later...

Finally found the problem which happens to be the fuel pump failing when it gets hot, I won't take the praise for solving it..................Mick from M Sport, Top Man :P

So now we have found the problem wonder if anyone else has had the same or similar fuel pump problem and bar buying a new pump (which is my only option to be fair) at megga

Ouch!

I would be trying to buy one online if that's possible?

Agreed but where do you start looking? Part No. in the book is a Mont/Honda part no. for the whole unit that goes n the tank :P

Kinda makes that $15 dellorto look good, does'nt it? Oh well, same result as if you had actually flipped it on the tank and damaged it, but not as much fun!

The Japs are still getting even!

Of course, being a FI system, I have often wondered just how these things would withstand such things as water and dirt over time as well? A likely factor? Some things that must be considered in the trials environment, and your shed, and your gas cans and filtration system of your fuel supply? The possibilities are many! And there is usually a relationship there in a pump failure!

If you ask, they do not build bad pumps! FWIW! :P

I really don't know what is there, but I would presume there would be an inlet screen in the injector as well, so if your pump is mechanically failing, the injector may be full of it too? :D

Edited by copemech