Speedo For Ssdt

moulder75

Just wondered how many people on here fitted a speedo to their bike for the SSDT. I am debating whether to bothor or not. This will be my second year riding Scotland and last year I had a speedo and horn. However the scruitineer's never even checked them etc. I know its the law to have a horn and speedo but I cant really rememer seeing many bikes with the correct items. I did a whole day with no rear mudguard and no number plate and the old bill didnt seem to worry as I parked my bike up next to them.

I ride a Beta and fitted the standard speedo last year which I think lasted about an hour before it broke. This is probably my fault due to me crashing and falling off reguarly lol. I am currently trying to fit a push bike speedo which may even last for a whole day with me riding.

See you next week

Tony

Have used a std speedo in previous years but if I get a last minute reserve ride this year I am trying a push bike style one. Just need to mount the pick up close enough to the magnet thing on the front wheel to get it to work.

I also wired up a horn in 2006 on my Cota 315 but would be interested to find a battery equivalent.

Ta

Just wondered how many people on here fitted a speedo to their bike for the SSDT. I am debating whether to bothor or not. This will be my second year riding Scotland and last year I had a speedo and horn. However the scruitineer's never even checked them etc. I know its the law to have a horn and speedo but I cant really rememer seeing many bikes with the correct items. I did a whole day with no rear mudguard and no number plate and the old bill didnt seem to worry as I parked my bike up next to them.

I ride a Beta and fitted the standard speedo last year which I think lasted about an hour before it broke. This is probably my fault due to me crashing and falling off reguarly lol. I am currently trying to fit a push bike speedo which may even last for a whole day with me riding.

See you next week

Tony

My understanding of it is this:

The responsibility of road worthyness/legality rests with the rider, not the "machine examiner", your bike is not passed as fit by a scrutineer at the SSDT!

Big John

Most battery horns I've seen on trials bikes are the "Buddy Megahorn", around a tenner as in here http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/391-410067...8301cdb25bcefa4 and loads of other bicycle emporiums.

It's a bit cumbersome to be honest but don't bother with the "Mini Megahorn", I got one but it's as good as useless, wouldn't pass an MoT for sure.

The cycle speedos are ok but sometimes you can't get the magnet close enough to the pick-up, I had to make a magnet extender to fit mine.

As far as being legal goes, is it not taking the p**s a bit not even bothering in the first place? All it takes is for one scunnered copper to put out the word for a purge and things could start getting awkward for the Club, and you'd all be riding round with full size numberplates attached getting pulled along with the road bikers for vehicle checks etc.

Best to at least show willing in the first place, my pov anyway.

day light m.o.t no lights needed or speedo , you must have a horn, good luck next week

Whilst a speedo is not an MoT item it is a requirement (with a few arcane exceptions) for use on the public highway. Don't screw up the future of the event by thumbing your nose at the Road Traffic Regs.

Well I got home from work fitted my standard speedo last night as the push bike one I bought needed a spacer to get the receiver close enough to the magnet. It did not look like it would last the week.

I will go and buy a horn for a push bike tomoroow and fit that.

Cheers for the advice

Tony