Endo's Nose Wheelie

Well as I work on things I try to get a good nose wheelie. If I am comming off a foot or two drop onto flat ground when the front tire hits I can stand her right up no problem (of course weight is forward and the rear wheel doesn't have much on it anyway). If I am riding on flat ground with a little speed I can stand it right up no problem (speed + front brake = endo). But for the life of me I can't force it up with little forward motion. For instance like Ryan Young does on his video. Now I realize I won't be able to do it like him but I should be able to get something. Here are my mental notes.

* Jumping on the rear suspension to fully depress it is not necesary. It feels to me like a short snappy jab with my feet gets me more reaction. Maybe this is timing and maybe this is the biggest problem I am having.

* It is very hard to press forward on the handlebars. Down is obviously no problem. It feels like as soon as I push myself forward all the pressure I am trying to exert is on my thumbs and I run out of ability to do this quick. When I try and rotate my hands down a bit I end up with my elbos too far down which puts my arms too far from straight to be able to push at all.

* There is a chance that my out of shapedness may be a factor. I try to reference my bodymass to each maneauver. At 210... ish.... and being used to staying within a certain area of movement (regular dirtbike riding) it is hard for me to swing my weight. But I am getting used to it.... Floaters....

* quick grab of the front brake doesn't do it. I have to really hold the brake to keep the bike up.

* Have tried a few on steep downhills and when the bike comes up quick I chicken out and let go of the front brake which results in a second of free fall (back tire is not on the ground to slow down).

just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help learn the proper technique?

Thanks.

Try tipping your handlebars further forward. It will give you a lot more leverage.

Also the best technique is to give a little blip of throttle and clutch just as the back tire is leaving the ground, it helps to flick the back wheel up in the air.

You could also try winding off the rebound damping on the rear shock to give it a bit more bounce.

Hope that helps.

As far as I know the factory 04 Sherco 290 shock is not adjustable for anything but preload. Which I have cranked up a bit because my race sag with it where it was measured about 50 percent of the available travel.

• 4 weeks later...

You could always do what i done to start with. Use a small rock, or long but narrow in diameter pole, lie it on the ground infront of your front tire, ride over it slowly then as the back wheel hits it you only need small bits of brake to get the bike up, try keeping it on but at about half pressure, just allowing the bike to move slightly forward.

As for swinging the bike around try this one a bit faster. Say 10MPH or 16KPH then as the back end comes up keep your balance right and avoid going over the bars, then put as much force on the front tire as possible and turning your bars in a quick jerky motion. When you become better at this, do what i done. Put a fizzy drinks can on the ground and try to swing your back end onto it. Then get a new one and try again but at a different posistion so you learn to spin the bike a certain amount of degrees. Then perfect this technique, thats the part i havent been able to do yet as i came off yesterday practicing and burst my front brake line, not happy.

Practice And Enjoy

Edited by shercoman2k8

Well it's been a while and I have been riding a fair amount but my concentration has not been on doing this a lot. One thing I notice is that if I try to load the suspension to pick the rear up I load front and back and then when I try to unload I unload both and it kills the whole effect. Maybe I should jab the brake when I compress so the front stays down and as I move forward the rear would rebound more giving the desired effect. Either way the thing is when watching an expert rider do it it seems effortless I am doing a lot of work and getting little results when I know it should be the other way around. I did find that trying it while dropping off a small bank onto a trail gives a great oportunity to stand her up.. and I can even swing it a little bit. Staying balanced afterwards is not an issue I just need to be able to get her up easier and higher.

Another note at 210 I have the pre load quite high. Even with it quite high I still am a little short on the "sag settings" for setting up a bike. The bike handles well on all terrain that I throw at it and I would think a more preloaded rear would help the situation but I could be wrong it's been known to happen although without my wife I'd never know when :)

Just a guess, but are you moving your weight back before preloading, then springing forward and pushing on the bars?

If you don't get your weight back it will compress both ends equally rather than a heavy rear compression.

Iselph,

I have the same problem. It is more physical than it may look, coming foreward and compressing the forks while unloading the rear and using a little blip of clutch and throttle at the same time. Timing is key! Takes lots of practice! If it were easy everyone could do it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

For 45 years I couldn't do nose whellies to save my life, but last week I figured it out....I USED TWO FINGERS ON THE FRONT BRAKE! Boom, I can practically go over the bars now!

Extra speed helps a lot, too.

Also, weight back at first (arms straight), then move forward. Push on handlebars. I tend to bend my legs at the peak, to let the bike come up into me.

Try higher rear shock spring setting, and dampening OFF, until you get the hang of it, and then go back to old shock setting.

Also, just to get the hang of it, do this on PAVEMENT, as the front wheel grabs on pavement much better than on dirt. Unless you feel you'll crash.

Did I mention TWO fingers on the brake!! (Maybe my brake isn't grabby enough, though.)

I was told the visualization for this technique is (when you haul on the front-brake) is to let your knees collapse (bend loosely)forward.... pointing them towards the front-wheel spindle :hl:^_^

Edited by HAM2

Perhaps you are trying too hard. Here's how I first managed it.

1 Ride day one of the Bath 2-Day (anyone remember that event?) and be impressed by a very young S Saunders.

2 Retire to bar of Clandown Rangers clubroom for a few pints.

3 Exit clubroom suitably relaxed and unload Fantic from trailer determined to try it.

4 Bounce rear a bit and grab front brake - bingo.

5 Try and repeat the trick when sober next day.

Perhaps you are trying too hard. Here's how I first managed it.

1 Ride day one of the Bath 2-Day (anyone remember that event?) and be impressed by a very young S Saunders.

2 Retire to bar of Clandown Rangers clubroom for a few pints.

3 Exit clubroom suitably relaxed and unload Fantic from trailer determined to try it.

4 Bounce rear a bit and grab front brake - bingo.

5 Try and repeat the trick when sober next day.

:wall:

Yesss..me too.

I once rode my bike around the garden during a boozy barbecue and it was some of the best riding I have ever performed....not many people agreed with me though and some clumsy fool put a broken plant-pot in the section :beer: