Week 69 - And It

Andy

I think that making the motorcycle test harder will only force more youngsters into riding illegally as it will be too expensive and take too long to gain a licence.

Ah the British Championship debate to gain more riders, this will be interesting but changing the rules may help?

finally who said you are allowed a holiday?

Trials is not unique in increasingly being an older man's sport. Other activities I am involved with don't seem to attract then hold youngsters. Ain't got any offspring myself to go by but it seems to me that as far as youth is concerned then if it doesn't involve sitting in front of a screen then it's of no great interest.

You will definitely enjoy the road trip, continental touring can get a grip of you, you might even find an opportunity to get the VFR on to some of the unsurfaced roads out there to sate the off road cold turkey of the weekend.

Talking of survival, I ask how much longer has the British Championship in its current form got? Last week’s Mitchell Trial attracted an entry of just nine riders to the main championship, of whom only eight started, whilst the expert and youth classes had 21 and five riders, so there were just 34 riders at the event. Sorry folks, but I wouldn’t organise a club trial for 34 riders, let alone a British Championship round with all the extra work that entails.

Its not a case of 'attracting' an entry of nine riders, In reality that's the quantity of riders we have in the country capable of attempting it.

How you can compare the BTC to a club trial is beyond me. The BTC is the pinnacle of trials in this country with virtually all the riders competing on the world stage with the honour of riding for our country. This weekend , we had 3 of the riders taking 1st 2nd and 3rd in the Junior WTC class in Japan. The Mitchell was the last trial they rode before they competed. I am certain, the severity of the course put them in good stead for Japan. Ross for example beat Gubian for his very first time. This was a great result for Britain.

Jack Challoner also won and he of course rode the Expert route.

I wholly admire the effort the clubs put into running the BTC for they aren't just doing it for entries, they are doing it with the knowledge that they are directly having a positive input to how Britain does on the world stage.

Respect bowdown.gif

IMHO <_<

The vast gap between what our top riders can manage and the bottom end of the sport, you and me Mike, are the main reason for the low numbers in the BC.

Any dilution of the premier series (only eight events?) would be to the detriment of the top echelon and would no longer be the pinnacle of our sport.

Times change and if people think it a circus at the top then so be it, but the answer isn't in a dilution of the severity or rules. IMHO.

Do clubs make any money out of running a BC round for so few entry fees after paying all their expenses?

If its a close call they will have to do one of two things:

1. Not run it?

2. Get more entry fees?

and probablly what Mike is saying in its present format whether it suits our top riders may be irrellivant something may have to give or I can't see any club wanting to put one on?

Do clubs make any money out of running a BC round for so few entry fees after paying all their expenses?

If its a close call they will have to do one of two things:

1. Not run it?

2. Get more entry fees?

and probablly what Mike is saying in its present format whether it suits our top riders may be irrellivant something may have to give or I can't see any club wanting to put one on?

How many clubs put on a trial to make money? However, the BTC is sponsored by Colin Appleyard of course and if that's not enough, then the ACU should subsidise (if they don't already)

Of course, that's why I mentioned sponsorship and subsidies.

Don't know how much Colin Appleyard achieves out of sponsoring the BC, but I really can't see any big sponsorship coming forward to do this?

Whether they would if they had more entries is doubtful too, but if there were more entries at least it would be self funding <_<

Past years I believe the BC was a bit of a money spinner for clubs. We however did not loose money this year. If we claimed all the costs of the volunteers then yes it would never make sense to run it but the pleasure and pride of watching the best in the UK (and hopefully the world again) ridding he sections you have plotted is worth it.

I don't see the Olympics or champions league opening up the doors to Joe Blogs and the local pub teams.

I guess we all welcome input but unless the top riders voice concerns (which nobody did this year at the ACU forum) with the current set then I think we have what we have.

The reason the BC or WC is not over subscribed is that there is not the a huge pool of ability about to warranty the expenses incurred.

Past years I believe the BC was a bit of a money spinner for clubs. We however did not loose money this year. If we claimed all the costs of the volunteers then yes it would never make sense to run it but the pleasure and pride of watching the best in the UK (and hopefully the world again) ridding the sections you have plotted is worth it.

My sentiments exactly. It warms the cockles of one's heart reading a comment like that <_<

It does surprise me that there are still enough people out there wanting to organise the BC rounds. I got asked if I was interested a while ago, mainly because we have a few bits of land which could be suitable.

I have to admit, I said "No chance". Without too much guilt, I'm just not interested. I do our club trials, Welsh Champs, and Novogar, but I have no interest in marking out the British as it's not something I can look at and gauge the right level.

James seems to be doing a good job keeping his trial 'real'. I couldn't guarantee it so I opt out.

A good example of this - I helped to mark out the Welsh round of the Brit Sidecar Champs, primarily because I'm available, I know most of the land, and there's not the manpower around otherwise. No other interest in it for me really, I only observe on the day. There were comments that "The quarry sections were so Solo" among others, and they were dead right. I marked out what I thought I could just about manage with a chair attached, and they were briefly checked afterwards. The result was probably not what many of the sidecar riders were after. The result for me is I won't get involved next year. I don't enjoy putting a trial on like that. Our Forest Trophy and our Novogar I can be proud of, and fairly confident of hitting the spot. British Champ level - not for me!

Now for the sidecar event, there's a possibility that some people may come out of the woodwork, but there's an equal possibility that it may not happen round here in the future. I had enough whinges to make sure I won't be there anyway (And I don't mean that in an arsy way - If I can't put on what the riders want I'd rather stay out of it)

Is that happening, or likely to happen with the Brit Champs? Dunno? Same thing stops me putting one on in our area.

I would imagine that at the same time you wouldn't be happy setting out a BTC round, there will be people who just live for it. I certainly wouldn't mind having a go at setting one out :banana2:

I would imagine that at the same time you wouldn't be happy setting out a BTC round, there will be people who just live for it. I certainly wouldn't mind having a go at setting one out :banana2:

I think some more new locations would be good so why not have a go, I dont think the queue is that big to organise ?