Youth Nationals

brian r

Steve, last year my son Aaron moved up to 11 yr class, and rode the 2 line. It was challenging for him, however he's small for his age. 65 lbs will only go so far. He won the novice class last year in STRA, he has won or done well in Int this year. I talked him into moving to sportsman to prep for the youth nats. He has ridden four tough events so far, and survived. The two line last year is about like the average STRA sportsman line. Aaron has grown 3 inches and gained about 15 lbs. The trials training days this year really improved his turning. So if I can get him off his KX65 long enough to practice, I think he'll ride well. He will be in the 11 yr class, line 2 again this year. Hopefully he won't be the bundle of nerves he was last year.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Paul

Edited by paul_thistle

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cope,

Yes, I was at TTD this year. Met a lot of people. I would probably recognize you by sight. It's such an unfair advantage. Everyone knows who the girls are, there aren't that many of us to keep straight, but remembering the guys... That can be a little tough!

I've gone riding with Ryan before. And I'm still working on the floater technique from his class at TTD. I've had to revert to the grass portion of the yard since my mom removed the mulch pile I had been using. It's a bit of a frustrating skill. I get it, but making my body do what my mind wants is proving to be difficult.

I want someone to go with so the 11+ hour drive isn't so brutal, and I want someone timing me in the sections. I drove alone last year, not fun, even with the stop in OH for a TI event, Cincinnati to see my uncle, and western TN to see my other uncle. I had a friend or 2 that I was able to meet up with when I got to TN.

Going alone sometimes makes me feel too much like a tagalong when I try to integrate with another group. Perhaps part of the only child symdrome?

He won the novice class last year in STRA, he has won or done well in Int this year. I talked him into moving to sportsman to prep for the youth nats.

That reminds me of last year during the youth camp Ty was talking with Aaron, Dean and some of the other kids telling them how he rides the Sportsman class at home. They thought he was either really good or full of it (I'm sure they thought full of it). So they asked me what class he rides in. I confirmed he rode Sportsman and let them sit on it for a minute or two before telling them that in our club Sportsman comes before Intermediate.

Chris, It was really cool last year to watch TY. He is so excited to ride, you can tell he loves doing it. I knew from the pictures you had posted and reading your posts that he was riding sportsman. Until this year It would have been hard for Aaron to ride the sportsman line in STRA. He was so light. We were at a an event that had a steep climb out of the section, another rider and I watched Aaron going up it. He had his butt as far back as it would go but was still spinning. The other rider looked at me and said " His legs just arn't long enough to get any more traction".

He enjoys the camp, but I think he expects to much out of himself. It makes it difficult to enjoy the compettion. Maybe he'll be relaxed this year.

I look forward to watching Ty ride again!

Cope,

Yes, I was at TTD this year. Met a lot of people. I would probably recognize you by sight. It's such an unfair advantage. Everyone knows who the girls are, there aren't that many of us to keep straight, but remembering the guys... That can be a little tough!

I've gone riding with Ryan before. And I'm still working on the floater technique from his class at TTD. I've had to revert to the grass portion of the yard since my mom removed the mulch pile I had been using. It's a bit of a frustrating skill. I get it, but making my body do what my mind wants is proving to be difficult.

I want someone to go with so the 11+ hour drive isn't so brutal, and I want someone timing me in the sections. I drove alone last year, not fun, even with the stop in OH for a TI event, Cincinnati to see my uncle, and western TN to see my other uncle. I had a friend or 2 that I was able to meet up with when I got to TN.

Going alone sometimes makes me feel too much like a tagalong when I try to integrate with another group. Perhaps part of the only child symdrome?

Actually, I may not have met you because I did not go to TTD THIS year, my bad! But as you are correct, the drive is a real bear from here too! My thoughts bring me to a recall of Dale Malecek telling me that Louise Forsley was spendind time in NY state this year training. As I know not nuthing about even if she is going, might be worth trying to contact her. Call Ryan or Dale and see if you can get her e-mail, Maybe things work out? She is great! And from what i have seen, likes company! :banana2:

M2C,

Paul,

The funny thing was that when the confusion over classes with the kids happened was around the same time Alan had been talking about class conformity for all the different clubs. Since we go Novice-Sportsman-Intermediate-etc. and you go Novice-Intermediate-Sportsman-etc. the kids rode in the same class and didn't even know it.

fuel being $4 instead of $2 only cost me only $120 extra for fuel with 3 kids riding thats just$13 per kid per day. My van and strange little trailer seats 8 hauls 5 bikes (i can actualy get 7bikes on it without any gear on a 5x10 trailer) plus a weeks gear and camping supplies and gets 19mpg. as a matter of fact the difference between youth national and national entry fees ($330 vrs $900) will buy the gas for the 1200 mile round trip and have $330 left over which will pay for 5 days cabin and still have money left over and also free tickets to maybe the best sporting event in the U.S. (except for the world round) the U.S. indoor championship. If anyone out there is considering the youth nationals and not made there mind up it is a great experience and fun for the whole family.

Chris Im sure it computes differently for the 4000 mile round trip from California. you guys do such a wonderful job of suporting your youth how many are coming this year?

I wish my numbers where like yours!

Over a 4,000 mile round trip, Diesel well over $5 a gallon (hopefully cheaper out of Ca.) truck pulling our little house gets about 9 miles a gallon. We figure well over $2,000 in fuel. We had thought about just Ty and I coming in our smaller SUV and tenting it or something, but the whole family really wants to go and has been looking forward to it.

As for the other kids from Ca. we have Eric Storz 0 line, Ian Delaney 0 line, Renata Delaney 3 line + womans. That's only 4 kids from Ca. Fortunately we're taking their bikes to off set the cost a little.

690 miles one way for me, averaging 12mi/gal with the camper, and estimating $4.00 per gallon... That's $230 each way.

I can contact Louise on Myspace, when she checks it. She doesn't check it much. I've said we could ride down together before, I have not heard if she is going or not. If her dad goes, I assume she would ride with him. Last year she was overseas.

Is Caroline Altman still riding? I have not seen her name anywhere, not even for NETA events.

I wish my numbers where like yours!

Over a 4,000 mile round trip, Diesel well over $5 a gallon (hopefully cheaper out of Ca.) truck pulling our little house gets about 9 miles a gallon. We figure well over $2,000 in fuel. We had thought about just Ty and I coming in our smaller SUV and tenting it or something, but the whole family really wants to go and has been looking forward to it.

As for the other kids from Ca. we have Eric Storz 0 line, Ian Delaney 0 line, Renata Delaney 3 line + womans. That's only 4 kids from Ca. Fortunately we're taking their bikes to off set the cost a little.

Chris over 2 grand thats unbelivable Glad that at least some are comming from California.

Homer will be riding 0 line this year i figure there could be as many as 10 0 line riders pretty much representing every nook and corner of the USA.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, I should and will offer you the oppertunity to get even this year, and as usual I have no idea who is riding what! huh.gif

cope do you know who or how many texas riders last year there were a bunch