Boots Shrunk!

neonsurge

After observing the other weekend I chucked by boots (Diadora Stone 2s) into the back of the car and forgot about them. I remembered where they were yesterday and found that they'd shrunk to the point where they're extremely difficult to get on and very uncomfortable when they are on. They were wet when I took them off and they've obviously been super-dried by the sun. Are they knackered and heading for FleaBay or can I resurrect them somehow?

When my boots are wet and muddy, I scrub them with soapy water, rinse off then hang them upside down on a rack till dry. When dry, about every 3 months I oil them with vegetable oil and a brush, it's worked well for over 20 years now (not the same pair of boots though)

The paper idea is a good one too.

Ta ta, PeterB.

oil them with mink oil or suitable boot oil, let them soak for a day or two, after a couple of hours riding they will start to soften back up, oil them again and they should be fine

I've also used the boot oil (mink oil, neatsfoot oil, boot oil etc.) method for many years with good results and found it also helps break-in of new boots. I've got an old set of Hi-Point boots that have to be 20+ years old, probably been re-soled 4 or 5 times, and are still soft, supple and have no cracks in them undoubtedly due to the oil treatment. I always carry an extra bike and riding gear for new riders to try, so these boots still get used a lot. I also tried some stuff called glove softener, which is used to keep baseball gloves soft and that worked too.

I'd try the clean, dry, newspaper stuff and oil method.

Jon

After observing the other weekend I chucked by boots (Diadora Stone 2s) into the back of the car and forgot about them. I remembered where they were yesterday and found that they'd shrunk to the point where they're extremely difficult to get on and very uncomfortable when they are on. They were wet when I took them off and they've obviously been super-dried by the sun. Are they knackered and heading for FleaBay or can I resurrect them somehow?

I agree with all the others, to speed thingd up, if you can get them on. stand in a river untill they are saturated, walk about untill they soften up. When they are about half dry put any oil based treatment on and stuff with paper. This tends to draw the oil right into the leather. They should be fine.