One Or Two Day Events...

jmck

What are your opinions on one or two day trials events? With gas prices the way that they are, would two day local events make sense, especially for the people that may have to drive five hours or more?

Interesting... our north Texas club discussed this very topic at our last meeting. The consensus was that, given the current economic climate, one day events are not cost-effective - for the club, or the participants.

I am beginning to think that 2 day events are the way to go if there is enough space. Camping.. 2 days worth of interesting sections...etc..etc...

Also would give me a great excuse to buy that travel trailer with the garage in it.... :thumbup:

Another good thing is that it generally frees up more weekends throughout the season. . (For other riding opportuniies if we are lucky!).

I for one will be able to make more events as a result of more two day format style events.

Speaking of two day events- we are having a killer one on Aug 2-3rd in Rose City MI. Bring your off road bike to play after the trials. Very kid friendly site too. Camping (water and pit tiolet) and hotel on site! www.motatrials.org

The NETA (New England Trials Association) has been doing this for the last few years. This year we have 4 two-day events on our schedule. There are a number of benefits. One, as is mentioned above, the economics of one trip for two events. When traveling 5 - 7 hours to get to an event it is certainly more worth while if you can ride for two days. Two, for the event host, it is not really any more work to put on an event two days than it would be for one. In fact if you do it smartly it takes very little extra effort. For instance, using white section ribbons instead of red and blue allows you to run some sections backwards on the second day or quickly modify a section for the second day. Thirdly, all the administrative paperwork (AMA insurance , sanction, etc) is done once. Fourth, checkers seem to be more readily available especially on the second day. Fifth, its a great fun weekend. Folks hang around camping, bull****ting and just plain having a good time.

Our club has found that more riders tend to show up if the event is done on a non-holidy weekend. In the past it seemed to make more sense to have it on a three day weekend figuring folks would want the Monday to drive home. As it turns out people seem to be fine with making the drive on Sunday night and I think a lot of folks already have family plans on the holiday weekends.

It really does work out well..........even when you have three days of rain like we had at our 2-day last weekend.

I work on Saturday so naturally I would vote for Sunday events only, our state series has been on the two day system for at least a decade maybe more, unless you are set up with an RV, two day events can be just as expensive after motel costs, another thought is with fuel cost in an RV it's probably the same cost in fuel if I drove my economy pick up truck to two events, further more if I am making payments on the RV that is increasing the cost even more, on a personal note I liked 2 day events when I was young and single, now married with kids 2 day events are a hassle for me

Nearest club to me is 200 miles cost $120 for round trip at $.30 per mile plus 8 hrs driving Ive already booked motel for next event motel is 5 miles from event has indoor pool free breakfast for 2 whole family can stay for $52.