Moving The Rear Of The Bike Around

Im having some trouble moving the rear of the bike using the front brake, not nessisarily from a stand still but also from moving. I dont have a problem getting the rear wheel off the ground or getting the height right, I just cant seem to get moving it where I want to and If I do I sometimes find it hard to balance afterwards.

Does anyone have any tips or is it just something you have to practice and feel until you get it right? Its not like most techniques where I can look and see how its done (ie: rock steps etc) because it always looks so easy and natural when other people do it.

Cheers =]

All the best

Tom

Land it with the back brake on, makes a better landing for balance, on the move or stationary kick your hips over to the side you want to go quickly, best done once the bike is in the air as its light off the ground. If you find you are loosing balance on landing move the front to compensate or a small rear hop to regain your balance

Edited by The Addict

For hopping right - twist your body and hang your a*** to the left of the bike as you compress the rear suspension and hit the front brake. On the rebound, turn your bars to the left and transfer your a*** to the right of the bike as the wheel starts to lift, also push the bike to the right with your left leg against the frame if you can. You should end up with the bike pointing straight ahead.

PS.

I know how to do it but very rarely get it right :banana2:

Tombo, start on dry pavement while astraddle the bike and your feet on the ground. Compress the forks while holding the front brake and the rear will rise easily. Turn the bars and the bike will rotate! Get the basic motion down. Easy, right?

Do the same motion while rolling, requires unload of rear while compressing the front, requires more energy to fully compress and do the same motion while jumping up it seems! Turn bars, shift hips, bring bike back under you. Hit with brake if you can! WHEW! Off a small curb or something helps you get the initial front compression when going slow.

From stationary, LOTS of front compression as you come forward with a little blip and a full POP release of the clutch to aid in lift. Requires better timing than I have. More compression than I can muster sometimes. Takes practice! The rear wheel should spin before you are back on the brake for landing! More aggressive move than it appears!

Drives me crazy that some make it look soo easy! :banana2:

I discovered a technique where I can make small hops with very little effort. It involves a pre-bounce before the second bounce to get the rear wheel up and over to the side. It's like if you were doing a stationary jump, you do a smaller leap motion with feet planted before your final leap. I think it makes you get the timing right and use all the suspension energy instead of fighting it. Turn your front wheel slightly to the right and lean it against a tree or wall so you don't have to worry about losing balance. Using knee bend, leaning forward and extra pressure on the left hand, with front brake, do a small bounce followed by a slightly larger one and your rear wheel will move to the right. It should be one continuous motion and with very little effort you can get 6 inches of side movement. After that you can try it with forward motion and bigger distance.

I don't think I'm putting too much effort in to turning the bars as the back end is actually stepping round.

Initially, if you want the back end to step left, then you're going to be turning right, and forcing your weight left - so that if you didn't step the back round you'd actually be toppling over, as you've thrown your weight off centre. I suppose as you're stepping it left and the back wheel is in the air you are turning slightly left though.

Clear as mud? :banana2:

If you are moving the rear to the right, you would initially turn to the left! hopefully you land straight! And pointed at what you intended!

Note you do not have to use the bar pivot as leverage, it just helps. The throw of the hips helps more, but then you must bring the bike back under you using the legs. A combination is more desireable and smoother! :banana2:

Gaz u been drinking?????

Yeah - for about 30 years almost non stop :banana2:

I've just read my post again, what a load of crud. I think if you already know how to do it, you might be able to work out what I said, but what use is that.

I'll shut up :hyper:

The Trials Training Center website tells you to turn left to hop left and Ryan Young's video shows you to turn right to hop left. Both ways work but I found when you are learning it is easier to turn left to hop left and straighten the bars when you land. If I do a downhill nose wheelie and turn left, my back wheel kicks to the left almost automatically with a little left lean. If you don't straighten out the bars on landing, you will keep falling left. Another tip is not to load and unload the rear suspension too quickly. If you slow it down, you will use more of the shock's energy.