Water Pump Corrosion

clarkp

I DNF'd a trial this morning because of a water leak on my 250. There was a pin hole completely THROUGH the left sidecase - I thought it was a bad casting but upon removal of the water pump cover I saw lots of corrosion to the sidecase in the water pump channels... several holes that are almost through and lots of corrosion to the area around the pump shaft seal. Now I'm pretty sure the coolant has contaminated the gearbox oil too - it looks cloudy.

Does anyone have experience with this type of corrosion? I'm running Silkolene ProCool. Do you think a previous owner ran something that boiled or cavitated?

It looks like I'm out a sidecase, clutch fibre plates, as well as assorted gaskets and seals. :rolleyes:;)

p4.jpg

Edited by clarkp

You guys just run regular automotive anti-freeze and distilled water at 50:50 mix?

I was going to try to repair it with J-B Weld until I took the cover off ... holy crap (literally...)

In the picture, that hole at the bottom (lowest point) was constantly pi$$ing a stream about the size of the tip of a pencil - until the cooling system was completely emptied.

Glad I noticed it before any heat-related damage was done or I might have had to buy an '05 270. :rolleyes:

Edited by clarkp

oooohh, that is bad hard to think coolant/water could do that i slight bit of the paint has come off in my impeler housing so i touched it up with a bit of hammerite did the trick has not come off yet. clarkp is your impeler plastic cause mine is in my techno and i just thought it was a bit cheepo to make it out of plastic

The damage you are showing in your photo is similar to that we found on my son's 04 270 recently. It was about 6 months old at the time. Our local dealer sent the casting back to JL who replaced it without question and we were back on the road within days. At the time I was unsure whether it was corrosion (the bike was still on the factory supplied coolant) or caused by a faulty casting. Anyway whatever it was we got excellent support to resolve the problem, pity I can't say that about all manufacturers!!

stevel

While that is undoubtedly corrosion, it looks like the corrosion was able to get a hold due to irregularities in the inner surface due to serious casting imperfections. Unless the fluid has as smooth a circulation path as possible, what are effectively microscopic "whirlpools" develop and I'd guess that this is what causes the holes that you see. If it's a recent model, I'd take stevel's advice and send the casting to your local importer to see if they'll replace it.

NOTE: I'm not a qualified metallurgist or anything, but I have studied fluid dynamics and I'm extrapolating based on this and what (little) I do know about magnesium alloys.

I sure hope that this isn't a Beta QA problem: Based on (admittedly limited) personal experience, I've always believed that Beta were the best finished and most reliable bike on the market.

beta boy - yes, my impeller is plastic and is in perfect shape. Given how the casting has eroded I guess I'm glad the impeller is plastic.

neonsurge - I still think that Beta is one of the best built machines available and I would buy another one before I bought anything else.

The actual pump cover has absolutely NO signs of corrosion at all, just the main side case.

To your point, I hadn't really given much thought to it being a QA issue with the casting but I think you may be right; I would expect to see more consistent erosion around the channels if it were impeller cavitation due to low coolant or running plain water. The Silkolene ProCool I use comes pre-mixed and ready to run. So on your thought, it does appear to be a possible quality issue with the casting.

I think if you ran plain water, had an air bubble entrained in the system, or ran low coolant to where it couldn't do efficient heat transfer you could have the coolant boil and / or cavitate which could produce this result.

I'll give the boys at Beta USA a call tomorrow... Ron, are you lurking?...

Edited by clarkp

If the casting has high content in magnesium, the surface must be paint-protected to avoid corrossion (look at those "golden" parts on the GGPRORAGA). Probably, the impeller touched the paint and magnesium got exposed. Beta has changed ocassionally the casting compound of the cases in a constant fight against weight. Without much success, IMHO.

Cheers, JM.

I wish I could get this kind of service from my truck dealer...

Ron Commo and BETA USA have graciously offered to warranty the sidecase for me - I really never expected that level of service and I couldn't be happier with the team at C & G BETA. All it took was one phone call and they offered to replace the part, no questions, no hassles.

Service like that will have me buying another BETA!..(and another, and another...)

Clark--

You might think about asking Ron to install the kickstarter and gearshift bearings. Otherwise, you may be surprised when you get the cover. Of course, you'll have to pay for these. Or you can send him your cover first and ask him to put your bearings in the new cover.

Richard