Ronnie Commo - Future Endurocross Star

city trials

All praise goes out to Beta's Ronnie Commo III. Ronnie made the main event this weekend in South Carolina. Riding two classes, Ronnie logged some 20 laps on the track. His speeds were nearly identical on both bikes.

Phil and Ronnie had an epic battle in both the Trialscross main event and $Dash-for-Cash$. Phil took the win in the Trailscross. Ronnie slipped by Phil after a silly crash to edge him in the money race. Ronnie finished 2nd, Phil 3rd. The winner opted out of the main event (why, we still don't know) - opening up a spot for Ronnie.

Little Commo III, all 140 pounds (soaking wet) took the big Beta Enduro bike and played with the PROS. He earned himself some valuable AMA championship points.

Commo also finished second in the Open 4 Stroke class. The promoter botched this race. It was to be a 4 lapper, but somehow the guys were told they'd do 6!

Footnotes: The Commo's were using the bluetooth head-sets to communicate with each other about traffic on the track until the organizers put a stop to it. Marvin Edgerton took out Chad Kimbrell in the first rock-pile - and Chad was super ticked after the race was over. Keith Wineland Vern Gamble and Geoff Aaron were no-shows. Geoff was overseas on a Red Bull commitment, Keith is getting ready for the TdN, and Vern was working.

It was hotter than, well you know what. South Carolina felt hotter than fourth of July in Vegas when the temps reached 120 degrees. I just can't hack that type of weather. I guess that' why I live in the north.

You should've seen Ronnie's face when he scored his first PRO pay-checks. That's right, checks with an 'S'. One for the DFC and one for making the main event. It was a priceless moment. The young man and his proud father were so happy. Congratulations, Ronnie, YOU EARNED IT!

Speaking of silly crashes, you had to be there to witness my 20 foot tumble over the finish line, double jump. What I was thinking even to attempt that sucker is crazy. Phil was passing me and laughing the entire time. Oh, and I finished dead last, again. (Chuckle it up from your soft couch, Ringo.)

Edited by City Trials

The boy's come a long way from when he used to crash his mini-cycle into my truck in Ossipee NH. I'm proud of him. Why did the organizers have a problem with a headset? It seems like all the other sports allow them and in a closed course obstacle race it would be more effective then flagmen as a safety system. I'm curious on what basis they made them stop using the system as I've found nothing in the rules to prohibit communication devices.

Edited by Dan Williams

QUOTE (Dan Williams @ Sep 15 2008, 09:56 AM)

I'm curious on what basis they made them stop using the system as I've found nothing in the rules to prohibit communication devices.

The same reason they make up rules any other time, they don't want trials riders to win.

They where banned from Supercross/Motocross & Offroad in the early 90's when team Kawasaki started using them. Obviously same rules would apply to Endurocross.

Good job Ronnie ;)

Edited by sirhc

Expert Points Standings after 3 rounds. (Trials riders in bold)

1. Ricky Dietrich 72

2. Damon Huffman 71

3. Colton Haaker 54

4. Nick Brozovich 50

5. Ty Davis 44

6. Jamie Lanza 41

7. Bobby Prochnau 36

8. Taddy Blazusiak 30

9. Geoff Aaron 25

10. Phil Smage 21

11. Wallace Palmer 21

12. Kyle Redmond 16

13. Eric Rhoten 15

14.Stephen Edmondson 13

15. Mike Brown 12

16. Kyle Calderini 12

17. Kendall Norman 12

18. Ronald Commo 10

19. Destry Abbott 9

Trialcross Standings after 3 rounds

1. 551 Phil Smage 90

2. 610 Nick Saia 48

3. 102 Craig Gernhardt 39

4. 5 Keith Wineland 38

5. 73 Vern Gamble 37

6. 88 Marvin Edgington 34

7. 108 Ronald Commo 25

8. 145 Michael Wenger 25

9. 183 Shannon Kenworthy 21

10. 482 Paddy Holloway 21

11. 98 Rory Sullivan 21

12. 144 Harrison Oswald 18

13. 111 Reid Davis 16

14. 646 Chad Kimbrell 15

15. 18 Jacob Argubright 15

16. 224 Jonathan Weisman 13

17. 110 Monte Perlin 12

18. 272 Aron Trzyna 9

19. 6 Roger Flud 8

Thanks Craig .. We are really Proud !!! We went there just to Have some fun ... then the lap times started to get better and better .. At one point Ron III had some of the best laps of the night .. he was smooth and had maybe a few hours on the enduro bike ever.. He got some great exposure and Has had some contact from a couple of Big name teams.. Who Knows.. All I know is we got a copy of the Rules and there is nothing about the communications .. especially because they are bluetooth.. But hey its cool .. He Rode Great .. You Guys were a great inspiration for him and thanks for all the posititve comments too!! .. He was so proud.. I will say ANYONE and I mean ANYONE who thinks this is easy.. Ron III Trains at the Gym (GOLDS GYM IN TOCCOA GA).. plug.... lol .. Everyday and is in excellent shape he rode both days in Duluth and never said he was tired at all .. This Young Man came off the track after the six Lap Main and said " Daddy I cant do that again .. I cant breath.. I'm am sooo whooped.. " I sat him down and fed him and gave him alot of MONSTER ENERGY drink , a couple of POWER BARS.. and oh yea he raced a MAIN EVENT Trialcross 13 minutes later.. Tough ... yes .. He endured and perceveered (spelling) any way then the boys got a whopping 45 minutes break before the Dash for Cash.. that was really exciting one more lap Ron III and Phil would have caught the Man who won by about 2 bike lengths... Craig.. I believe the man who won was going for the year end points in the open class .. The last riders meeting was clear that if you won the dash and chose to ride the main you would not be eligible for year end points in the support classes.. That may be why he opted out .. Thanks again .. See you in OHIO.!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ron

I was in the stands directly above the 2nd hairpin turn rock garden (maybe 30 feet total width , LOOSE football sized chunks of granite ? in a single layer on loose dirt , ontop of smooth concrete ...) And watching all the riders negotiate that 1 turn was amazing ! Ronnie and Phil would both come into it tight and do a clean 180 around the large log end that was the apex of the turn , and as long as there wasn't a bike on it's side in their path motored right on thru . And there was a serious total lack of attention by the teenager that was the flagman for the turn ! He was always looking elsewhere in the arena as riders stacked up on top of each other just after the apex of the turn using each other for traction !

And Chad has every right to be p****d ! But my boys got so they could spot the trials riders on enduro bikes everytime they came thru the turn , just by the way they rode . I believe now they truly understand why I want them to become competent trials trials riders , then they can go fast if they feel the need ! We watched Phil (I think , could've been ronnie , i don't remember!) between events on his enduro bike out in the pit parking lot playing doing stoppies and going over a large pile of logs at the far end of the lot and my son said how can he do that ? He's not on a trials bike ! And all I could say is when your that good of a trials rider , it doesn't much matter what kind of bike your on ...

Thanks again for the invite , it was a thrill for us all !

Glenn ;)