Size Info

dabid

Hi Guys,

I am hoping that you can help me out, i am very interested in starting moto trials, but i am a big lad, i am 183cm tall and weight 125kg am i too big to ride trials bikes? i ride dirt bikes at the moment and strugle with suspension setup but i do own an old husqvarna and it is had to get parts for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave

Hi Guys,

I am hoping that you can help me out, i am very interested in starting moto trials, but i am a big lad, i am 183cm tall and weight 125kg am i too big to ride trials bikes? i ride dirt bikes at the moment and strugle with suspension setup but i do own an old husqvarna and it is had to get parts for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave

We have lots of big lads, many do quite well if they are in any sort of condition. Trials may well be your thing! If you stick to it! Could even be your salvation! Many have attested to this! :thumbup:

Id say your more at an advantage if your a big lad. as long as your physically fit it can be a good advantage. more weight so you can go through mud a like a tractor and longer arms and legs for making the bike go where you want it to.

some people complain of back pain though so handlebar risers might be a good idea.

I knew a skateboarder with no legs, and he was damn good too!

All the best

Tom

I admit to opening this thread ("Size info") with trepidation after seeing that you had replied to it Cope. I am pleased that you haven't sunk to previous lows :thumbup:

No way TFT, sarcasm and disrespect must be earned!

However, to quote this fresh Aussie I spent two days in class with last week, "I do not charge extra for these services"!

I think they kicked him out! :)

Sounds like your about 6ft and weigh 275lbs. As long as you are in good enough shape to ride this should not hold you back at all.

Many people say it is an advantage to be big but that is simply crazy. The bikes are designed for a "avg" size male. I'd say approx 5'9" 170lbs.

You will have to learn to use some muscle to make up for the slow suspension.

Advantage in Mud?? Only if it is flat ground! Try going down hill slow with an extra 75 - 100lbs tied to you! Uphill advantage? Well keep in mind the extra weight that might give you a small advantage also has to be carried up the hill. I am 6'3" and weigh 290lbs and fall between an ADV / EXP level at our local club level.

I know it would help to be smaller but my size does not cause me to lose events, its always a lack of practice that gets me.

Practice and see if you can lose weight. If you take it serious and get down to say 230 - 240lbs then the bike & suspension will respond much better for you.

Some of our top USA riders are big guys. I'd say Geoff Aaron has got to be at least 6'4" and go 215 -220lbs and Cody Web has to be about the same.

Welcome to trials and i hope you have some fun.

You could try finding a smart 98/99 Beta Techno (slightly larger bike), they are getting a bit old now but it will be cheep and parts are available for them. If you are lucky you'll have change for a fresh pair of trials boots. Hunt down some heavy springs for the bike to cope with your weight - if you don't the suspension action will be dire. Keep the springs if you sell the bike and fit them to your next bike. Also consider fitting a bar rise kit if you feel too hunched over.

Ralphy

Rear spring is a good idea. When I get a new bike I remove the spring from the rear shock and measure the spring rate. I then have a new spring wound up approx 10% stiffer.

You have to be careful on how stiff you go since it will shift stress to the weakest point and could fail componments.

With a stiffer spring you can back the preload down so you can still feel the valving of the shock and not just spring. You will never get a trials bike properly set up for your weight but you can make it better than stock.

I also drain the factory 5 wght fork oil that comes standard in most bikes and replace it with 7 wght. Same amount specified in manual.

Now my Last couple of bikes are Beta Rev's the rear shock was fine and I left the factory spring inplace so the Beta Rev may be a good starting point.

Like mentioned before there is nothing wrong with a good used Techno and another strong bike is the Montesa 315r although they are sprung soft and will require stiffer spring

and 7 wght fork oil for sure. Frames Beta's and Montesa's are very strong and will easily hold up. For a beginner - Adv rider I doubt you would have trouble with any bikes frame.

Find a clean bike and join your local club and practice!

Depends on what you want out of the bike.

All sizes 125 through 300 will handle your physical size and weight. ( I am referring to 2 strokes, don't know much about modern 4 strokes)

A 125cc must rev the hell out of it and use flawless technique when riding.

a 250cc has some low end grunt but needs some reving and good technique.

a 270cc has more low end torque and better throttle response if you get into a spot where you need to give it a bit of a jab of gas.

A 300cc has most low end torque and wicked throttle response.

I would suggest a 270cc because that is what I ride and I like the way it responds. (but thinking about a GasGas 300)

But a 250 should serve you well.

as a side note I am 5' 9" and weigh 240 pounds. (yep got a spare tire if I get a flat on the bike)

And I ride ADV class against Firstgear.

If I am incorrect about the characteristics of the different bikes somebody will let me know.