Scorpa Or Not?

kevine

first trials bike, I currently ride a ktm450 xc but have wanted a trials bike for *many* years. Any thoughts on a scorpa 250? Like the yami powerplant in terms of reliability. Lurking around there seems to be a fair amount of talk about clutch issues. Love the hydraulic clutch on my ktm - not sure if I can go back to conventional? Comments?

Gassers seem quite popular but a couple of buddies ride gasser enduros and I am not that impressed with the build quality - not sure if the same applies to their trials bikes.

Trials is almost non-existent in my area so its difficult to get to try some different bikes - will quite likely end up buying something over the net which is a little worrying. Ideally would like something a couple of years old, $4-4.5k is my budget. Mostly just looking for a clean reliable ride. I don't think I am a good enough rider to distinguish the finer nuances of the differnent rides. Also wondering about a 4 banger?

Recommendations, advice comments appreciated!

Cheers

Kevin

You will get lots of people telling you which bike is best and often it just depends on what they ride at the moment. All modern trials bikes are pretty reliable, all have some minor points that let them down.

My best suggestion is to see if you can get a ride on one or two different types of machine, then once you have an idea of what you like, then come back on to the forum and ask about specific models. You will probably get much better advice this way.

As for Scorpa's, they certainly make nice clubmen machines, the build quality is good to excellent, but they are a little heavier then the oposition. The carb is a pain to get off and clean and they have a tendancy to split the centre silencer which then needs to be welded up.

4t or 2t, only you can decide that one by having a go on both.

Sorry that I've been a bit vague, but I hope this helps.

Pete

KevinE,

I have an 03 SY250R. The SY250 has a hydraulic clutch. There is a slave cylinder that actuates the clutch lever. There have been problems with the linkage. Once you get it set up properly it will work fine. It has a KTM style non-linkage shock. The plug is not easy to get to. Removing the carb requires removing the airbox. My exhaust center section has split and had to be re-welded. If you get one make sure to get a carbon-fiber silencer guard. The head angle is very steep. It has a tendency to tuck under and pitch you over the bars. It is not as easy to learn on as say a Montesa Cota 315R. The newer bikes have a bigger front disc and this makes the braking more progressive. The touchy front brake and steep head angle on my 03 may have helped me get the nickname OTB Wilson.

All in all it is a good bike.

Ciao

DFW

Hi Kevin - I have sent you a pm today as I am located only 30 mins up the road from where you live.

In actual fact the sport is often referred to as a "Secret" in many parts of North America, but we have many riders in the Okanagan Valley of BC, and ride every Sunday. We have held one of the longest running Trials in Canada ( The Outlaw Two Day) for the past 22 years, all you have to do is give me a call and we will get you out to try some different bikes & meet the local lads. - It really is that easy.

IMO the beta or the montesa 2 stroke are the most reliable and indestructable bikes, I also ride a KTM 300M , and own a Montesa 315R, don't have enough experience with Scorpa's to have an oppinion, I don't really care for gasgas either, I owned one and had a lot of issues with it but it was a very good riding and handling bike, build quality is what I attributed most of my issues, gasgas is probably the best bike out there but I would never get another one, I keep my bikes for years, rather than trading up every year, so reliability is important to me, I think my next bike will be the new Beta Evo

I'm with Scorpa3, had gassers (7 or 8 of um) good bikes but you need to keep on top of them ie; air cleaner, make sure the carb is free from water etc etc..............

Have now had my scorpa sy for 2 years and as Pete says its a cracking clubmans bike..............Reliable.

Though I do fancy the 4t version as I used to ride Honda 4t back in the earfly 90's-RTL/TLR

End of the day its up to you.

Jim

I too come from a MX and Enduro background and have been doing trials for two years and really enjoy it.

You will have to forget some traits that you picked up from Enduro such as gripping the bike with your knees etc.

Trials will greatly improve your riding for enduro but enduro will not improve you for trials.

I have a scorpa 05 Sy had it two years the only problem I had was the the radiator bracket snapped off $20.00 weld job.very reliable low maintenance and User friendly.

Oh and the Guards/fender are extremely flexible and very rarely brake unlike others which are expensive to replace and I think you will be dropping it a bit until you work out trials.

Mine turns better than the 06 Sherco I rode just as good as a Beta I did like the 290 sherco engine though.

I want to go back to enduros now with the skills I have learnt from trials as I think I would now love the technical nasty sections in enduro's I used to hate.

Edited by bigdamo