Practice In The Cambs Area?

grahamjayzee

Hi All,

New bloke here!

I'm <almost certainly> going to return to the fold after a break of 10 years or so. I can no longer fight it...

I plan to practice little and ride a trial every 3 weekends or so, depending on what's on in the 50 mile radius of my home near Cambridge. Back in the day that was Cambridge Matchless events, Nene Valley and Peterborough at Stibbington (probably my favourite trial for it's compactness and friendliness). I'm not about to go mad and cheat by practicing much (ahem), but I would like to get myslef (and a mate who is new to the sport) up to speed before clogging up the sections with my fat self heaving a bike out of the hedges.

Anyone know anywhere to practice in the Cambs area? I used to practice around Fen Drayton/ Swavesey but as this is owned by the RSPB, I will upset someone now. I'd rather be tolerated or even welcomed and don't want to spoil someone's day. Hell, I'd even pay!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jordan,

That's not too far. I think I rode a Berkhampstead trial a few years ago and it may have been the muddiest I ever rode. It were great!

It's a good option, I'll see what else pops up but practice for a tenner a year and a club membership is pretty good.

Graham

Thanks Max

I might need a bike first! Having said that, it may not make much difference to my score at this stage...

I've ridden Cranford before; good trial. When I get up and running I will be riding NV trials. does John Lee still run them?

Cambridge MMC have their Ken Wood trial at Dickersons on the A10 this sunday too. I'm going to drop by and say hello.

alrite mate

i ride all trials in the cambs area

i roda at cambridge at the weekend !! very muddy

and this weekend there is a nv trial at a new bit of ground

should come check it out.

if youre looking for somewhere to practice i'd suggest

skewbridge!

its a bit of waste land near higham ferris and rushden.

just on the side of the road, you get a lot of lads on mx bikes there but there are a few of us that sometimes go out nfor a practice there.

but if you want to go id go soon because i think the council mite be closing the ground completely to buil on

hope this helps

Thanks fella, I'll check it out as soon as I get a bike. Which will be soon...

I used to practice at Sundon pits near dunstable. Is that still there?

Sundon is still there. They have started filling it in, but that will take about 100 years, as it's massive. Not sure how easy it is to get into these days. There will always be a way in but it's just finding it as it's so big. Don't think you can just go in the main entrance anymore. I am sure all the T**ts on nicked bikes still get up there. When I first used to ride there in the early 90's it was awesome. You could have held a world round in there.

I got locked in one time. I parked the wrong side of the gates and when I loaded the van up, I couldn't get out! I managed to clear an area of waste ground near one of the gates and ease round the side! I loved the place, but spending the night there? Maybe not...

It was indeed awesome, although sooner or later bad things were bound to happen. Either someone getting hurt or the crims hurting themselves. I met Steve Sunders there one day. He could clean that massive climb up the cliff face...

Happy days <sigh>

I got locked in one time. I parked the wrong side of the gates and when I loaded the van up, I couldn't get out! I managed to clear an area of waste ground near one of the gates and ease round the side! I loved the place, but spending the night there? Maybe not...

It was indeed awesome, although sooner or later bad things were bound to happen. Either someone getting hurt or the crims hurting themselves. I met Steve Sunders there one day. He could clean that massive climb up the cliff face...

Happy days <sigh>

Yes the climb up the cliff face was impressive. Not has horrible as it looked though as two of mates used to do it. I never had the bottle though, no room for error. It was the last 40 odd foot vertical bit that got me!

It wasn't the climb that scarred me, it was the falling back down again...

My mate nearly got up one of the other big climbs on my old TY250 twinshock. He clattered from top to bottom and had to find the right hand handlebar so he could close the screaming throttle!

What a top place that was

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Thought I'd bump this up to see if any new forum members know of anywhere?

I've been working hard to secure some practice, but come up with very little. It's difficult to find suitable land and then nearly impossible to secure permission! I have a couple of small areas I have found whilst walking the dags and will be armed with a bottle of single malt to start pleading this weekend.

I have been to the Yennards which is great, but I can't travel 1 1/2 hours each way for practice. Same really for Nash Mills and Hooks Wood.

Does anyone know of anywhere within 20 miles of Cambridge that a section or 2 could be marked out and I could be tolerated for an hour or so? I want to ride legally and am prepared to pay, even!

Thanks

Graham

Graham. I can't pretend that's it's anywhere near you unfortunately but I can recommend the trials park at Corton near Lowestoft. It's a dedicated trials site with pretty much whatever you could want to practise on, including quite a lot of brought in concrete 'rocks'. Lots of mud when wet and plenty of roots and climbs etc. It's used thoughout the year by the local clubs over here so there will be lots of sections that you'll be able to see and practise in.

It's probably not too practical for you for a day trip but you can camp there overnight if you want to make it into a weekender, once or twice over the summer perhaps. If you wanted to practise on the Saturday and compete on the Sunday I could probably get you a list of when the local trials are there. Just let me know.

TP Offroad Sport

Woburn Farm

Stirrups Lane

Corton

Suffolk

NR32 4LE

07889 422555

trialspark@aol.com

Edited by Wherry

Thanks Wherry,

It does sound good. However, it's a long way from me and my time is precious. I have taken the view that If I am to travel more than an hour, it will be for a trial. They are as good a practice as any if you don't care about your score (I tend to score more than an entire England Test innings!).

Thanks anyway; if I'm in the area...

Graham